Minimum tire load range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at snow tires for my 2017 crew cab 4x4 2500 with 5.7 hemi. What's the lightest load range I can get away with? I don't tow or haul anything in the winter. Is a "C" too light?
Tires will probably be cooper weather master studded in 265/75 r17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Trucks come with "P" rated from the factory a C would be a step up for sure.

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Trucks come with "P" rated from the factory a C would be a step up for sure.

I'm not familiar with P, this is my first HD truck.
Do my stock tires carry less weight than a "C"?
I've found an excellent deal on a set and I'm waiting for the owner to tell me the load range, so I want to know what I can get away with

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not familiar with P, this is my first HD truck.
Do my stock tires carry less weight than a "C"?
I've found an excellent deal on a set and I'm waiting for the owner to tell me the load range, so I want to know what I can get away with

And actually my truck has "E" from factory

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
You did not say you had a 2500, most run D or E range on 2500s.
P rated come on 1500s basically a car tire.

C= 6ply
D= 8ply
E= 10ply

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Stick, I always ran E rated tires on my hd trucks. You need the stronger sidewall and the ability to run a lower pressure to smooth out the ride. Even when empty.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U can run a Non Lt tire for winter if you want. Just know it's not going to feel as " sturdy". It shouldn't be a problem since u are just doing it for winter months and ur not hauling. May save u some money, I've said it before and I will say it again- if I ever ran a dedicated winter tire- it would be a set of guard dogs from treadwright with kedge grip and studded. I ran a set of guard dogs on my 1/2ton but they didn't have the kedge grip nor where they studded, but I ran them in every winter condition imaginable and they did amazing. Just my opinion though

OP
OP
S

sticknstring

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
U can run a Non Lt tire for winter if you want. Just know it's not going to feel as " sturdy". It shouldn't be a problem since u are just doing it for winter months and ur not hauling. May save u some money, I've said it before and I will say it again- if I ever ran a dedicated winter tire- it would be a set of guard dogs from treadwright with kedge grip and studded. I ran a set of guard dogs on my 1/2ton but they didn't have the kedge grip nor where they studded, but I ran them in every winter condition imaginable and they did amazing. Just my opinion though

Thanks everyone. Got the info from selling party. My stock tires are rated for 3000 pounds each. The winter tires I'm getting are rated at 2600 each so I think I'll be alright