Monroe shockabsorbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jts359

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
I recently installed 4 new Monroe shocks in my 2012 1500 , They are Monroe 34795 and 34800 , They are bad, real bad, To the point I ready to put the originals back in until I find a suitable recommended replacement or go to new OEM . The truck has no mods to the suspension , What are you guys using ? literally not what you heard are good , I purchased this truck new and now has 62,000 miles on and it has NO problems in that time , Thanks , Ed

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot here are using Bilstein 5100s adjustable up front to level it out and Bilstein rears. I believe you can also get non-adjustable Bilstein fronts. They seem to get really good reviews among forum members.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Monroe are junk IMO they are the typical replace them so often you can’t afford to drive it type. Go take them off and put on Bilstein they will last insanely long. I finally replaced mine with around 120k on them and they were still okay. The factory ones I swapped at less than 30k

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I didn't want to lift mine at all...
:hidesbehindsofa:
...so I purchased and installed the Bilstein 4600 units earlier this year. Didn't notice a huge difference between them and my factory shocks (about 57k on the factory ones), but its definitely improved.

I bought some yellow Monroe shocks once (their "Gas-Magnum" line) for a 2001 Ram, many years ago. Never again.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently installed 4 new Monroe shocks in my 2012 1500 , They are Monroe 34795 and 34800 , They are bad, real bad, To the point I ready to put the originals back in until I find a suitable recommended replacement or go to new OEM . The truck has no mods to the suspension , What are you guys using ? literally not what you heard are good , I purchased this truck new and now has 62,000 miles on and it has NO problems in that time , Thanks , Ed

Recently, I had the exact same experience as you, with my 2008 1500 4.7 2WD. The OEM shocks were getting a little soft and bouncy, so I swapped in Monroe Reflex on all 4. There was an immediate, noticed improvement with the ride quality. However, after about 6 months, the Monroe shocks were worse than the OE shocks I had removed. The Monroe shocks literally lasted 6 months and 3000 miles. :puke: Plus, I noticed that the both front tires were getting some very pronounced feathering, on the outside treads.

I rotated the front tires to the back, swapped in some Bilstein 4600's on all 4, and couldn't be happier with the results. These trucks should come stock with the Bilsteins. The Bilsteins are noticeably firmer, and the cab has much less rock/roll when going around corners and over bumps.