Mopar Tonneau Cover Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've posted on the forums a few times about how happy I've been with my 4-fold Mopar tonneau cover. I've had it on for more than a year now, and it's been great until two days ago.
Unfortunately I may have found a flaw in the design and I'm looking for some advice.

We had a crazy wind storm a couple days ago, and when the wind would directly hit the side of my truck, my tonneau cover lifted up in the middle, just behind the anchor point.

Both ends of the cover were latched and locked, but that only stops the ends from lifting. It doesn't stop the front end from sliding back and forth.
So as the wind got under the middle point, the end would slid towards the middle, and the whole center section would lift up about 10" or 12" off the truck. Basically, the width of the panel sliding up from the front.

When driving on the highway, this could easily allow the wind to get under the cover with enough force that it could potentially be ripped off the truck.
It would also make it pretty easy to break into, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of going with the hard tonneau.

Does anyone have any advice about how I might fix this without mutilating the bed rails?

I was going to take it to the dealer since it's a Mopar product, but I'm not sure what they could do about it. Other than just admit it's a flaw in the design.

I'll also try to take some pictures or a video on the weekend, to illustrate what's happening a little better.

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's pretty crazy!

I'm going to look at mine and see if I have the same issue.Should be able to climb inside,get the wife to close the tailgate and push up on it to see if it moves.

Thinking about it there really isn't anything besides the locks to keep it in place as far as I remember!

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like how I cannot tighten the vinyl. It seems way more lose than my Access cover. I do a lot of interstate driving and when I look in the rear view mirror, I just cannot see it lasting very long.

OP
OP
dRAMbuie

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't like how I cannot tighten the vinyl. It seems way more lose than my Access cover. I do a lot of interstate driving and when I look in the rear view mirror, I just cannot see it lasting very long.

The one I have is the hard cover. Which makes it all the more disappointing.
I went that route - in part - for its assumed durability and security.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The one I have is the hard cover. Which makes it all the more disappointing.
I went that route - in part - for its assumed durability and security.

Does your's have the loop on the tailgate that the last section engages when it's dropped down to latch.

This may be the issue the MFG's were pointing to when they said it was required.

IAC, there is nothing to keep the latches on the rear from sliding on the rails unless someone fabricated a slot to hold the latches in position.

I would think this is something that could happen to any hard tonneau that has rear latches that can slide on the bed.

My OEM hard tonneau made a lot of miles up to 80 mph with no issues. I think you hit the sweet spot in speed vs side wind to do the deed. My loop was never installed on the 14 Sport.

Last edited:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Mopar doesn't have latches on the panels in the middle? On my BakFlip VP all 4 sections have latches that hold it to the side rail. I had a Mopar on my last truck but never had that problem.

OP
OP
dRAMbuie

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does your's have the loop on the tailgate that the last section engages when it's dropped down to latch.

This may be the issue the MFG's were pointing to when they said it was required.

IAC, there is nothing to keep the latches on the rear from sliding on the rails unless someone fabricated a slot to hold the latches in position.

I would think this is something that could happen to any hard tonneau that has rear latches that can slide on the bed.

My OEM hard tonneau made a lot of miles up to 80 mph with no issues. I think you hit the sweet spot in speed vs side wind to do the deed. My loop was never installed on the 14 Sport.

It has a latch on the tailgate, but not on the other end at the front of the truck.
I was planning to take a video over the weekend, but winter decided to come back with a vengeance. So as soon as we get a decent day, I'll take a quick video.