Morimoto X.DRL 5 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I purchased the Morimoto X.DRL 5 with the HD Relay
6.png

I have no clue around this area of work so please try to explain like you're talking to a five year old.

I pretty much know how to connect everything but the 12v power and the Input from car. By 12v source does that mean battery? I've seen some DRL's connect with the battery and they'll work but then I was told to cut the "Input from car" and tap it into the fuse?

Basically if I don't feel like I know it 100% I'm very timid on doing it.

I talked with Jeremy about it but I am ******** and I couldn't quite get the message he was trying to give me. I learn by pictures. He has done an excellent job responding to my MANY MANY emails and I encourage people to buy from him. Thank you Jeremy.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Hello I purchased the Morimoto X.DRL 5 with the HD Relay
6.png

I have no clue around this area of work so please try to explain like you're talking to a five year old.

I pretty much know how to connect everything but the 12v power and the Input from car. By 12v source does that mean battery? I've seen some DRL's connect with the battery and they'll work but then I was told to cut the "Input from car" and tap it into the fuse?

Basically if I don't feel like I know it 100% I'm very timid on doing it.

I talked with Jeremy about it but I am ******** and I couldn't quite get the message he was trying to give me. I learn by pictures. He has done an excellent job responding to my MANY MANY emails and I encourage people to buy from him. Thank you Jeremy.

Yes, Hook the 12V power directly to the battery or fuse panel battery lead. The input from car is the the stock headlight bulb connector.

EDIT: Make sure you hook the grounds to the cars frame and scrape the paint off etc for a good connection.

mikz86ta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If this is a plug n play kit.....the connect to car plug witll plug into your stock headlight socket. It is essentially using the headlight plug power wire as a 'turn on' wire for the relay kit. That socket plug should match your stock headligh plug. .....as in if its a 9006, h11, etc

I am assuming its for headlamps which is why I say headlamp plug. If for fogs or whatever else, then use those plugs.

Pm me if you need larification

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's for Daytime Running Lamp (DTRS) LED's

If he uses his stock headlight or fog socket, that would disable said head/fog light , no?

I see the OP's confusion

X.DRL - LED Lighting From The Retrofit Source

xdrl5-1.jpg

images

Daytime running lights so bright they'll put most headlights to shame! The Morimoto X.DRL uses five 5w Epistar LED's to produce an amazingly clear, white light.

After the Audi LED DRL craze hit the automotive aftermarket, plenty of crap-tastic DRL products came about, but none of them can match the looks and quality of the X.DRL.

With Five 5000K LED's lined up in a row and projected through 15mm aspheric projector lenses, these are as "OEM" looking as it gets.

Their heavy-duty machined aluminum body has been anodized black, and the Morimoto graphics are laser-engraved. No cheesy stickers or screen printing here.

The circuit board inside is completely protected against the elements with a hard acrylic potting compound. Damage from moisture, dust, or dirt is no threat.

Wiring should be easy, with a simple power and ground for each. You can trigger them with your parking lights, low beams, or any other 12V source that comes on along with the vehicles ignition for a true DRL style circuit.

The entire setup is mounted to an integrated swivel-mount bracket for easy installation and the ability to adjust the forward-facing angle of the LED's.

Buy from the company with the Internet's best reputation for unbeatable prices and killer customer service. The Retrofit Source Inc. is trusted by car guys world-wide, so we invite you to contact us today with your questions. Whether you need a recommendation on parts, have a tech question, or even a wholesale inquiry: our customer service team is here to help!

Input from Car has to be spliced into an existing circuit unless the harness includes some kind of Y splitter

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Input from Car has to be spliced into an existing circuit unless the harness includes some kind of Y splitter

Okay that's what Jeremy was telling me. So I cut the pigtail off tap the red wire into a fuse and ground the other wire?

What was confusing me was that I need to wire that single 12v to the positive side of the battery then I also need to splice the input from car to a 12v fuse (however I want it to trigger) to turn on? Do I need both the fuse and the battery for them to turn on?

I really just want them to turn on when the car is on. But I guess having more control over them is best.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 12v from the battery powers the relay, that powers the LED's

The 12v source you tap into (park lights example)
is the open + close "trigger" for the relay to release the battery power to the lights.

Yes it does seam odd to use a relay for such a small LED load,
but it keeps the rest of your system balanced.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 12v from the battery powers the relay, that powers the LED's

The 12v source you tap into (park lights example)
is the open + close "trigger" for the relay to release the battery power to the lights.

Yes it does seam odd to use a relay for such a small LED load,
but it keeps the rest of your system balanced.

Exactly what he said ^^^^

OP
OP
W

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do some vehicles have this "Y" attachment? If not, then why have that connection if we're just going to splice it?

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
no

I was merely suggesting that a specific wire harness may have allowed that option.

You can't use the supplied connector unless you're replacing an existing output (like fog lights)

Cut it off and tap into a key-on fused circuit, just like Jeremy suggested.

OP
OP
W

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no

I was merely suggesting that a specific wire harness may have allowed that option.

You can't use the supplied connector unless you're replacing an existing output (like fog lights)

Cut it off and tap into a key-on fused circuit, just like Jeremy suggested.

Gotcha. Thanks.

For clarification on the Input from car; Tap the red wire into the fuse and the other as another ground?

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think you only need to wire tap a + 12v key on source,
but it certainly would not hurt if you added another ground.

(if you look at the original wire diagram,
... you will see the Relay's already have a ground)

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay the input from car has a blue wire and a black wire. Which one goes to the fuse and which one goes elsewhere?

OP
OP
W

Warl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What am I doing wrong? They're not powering up. Connected to hvac
drl - Imgur

This was all done trying with the HVAC F99 10 Amp Red fuse with either the blue wire, or the black wire, I even tried both. When I tried with one wire, I didn't do anything with the other.

I didn't try different grounds. I tried different spots on the positive battery side too. The drls never came on. I also tried disconnecting the outputs thinking maybe the wires were mixed but neither worked.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Sorry about not being on the forums........man, seems that I'm working about 12-15 hours a day now! Its fun! busy season!

Glad to see they are rolling for ya, and yeah, HID time!!