Musings from my Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just complete my Dee Zee Tailgate Assist install and I thought I would share a few thoughts in hopes of helping others who might be considering one as well.

1) My truck is 3 years old and in a salty environment, the Torx wrench included in the kit did not fit the bolts that needed to be removed, and the salt kept those bolts in tight. I had to use my impact driver to undo both the on on the body and the one on the tailgate.

2) Spray the blind nut tool's ball bearings with WD40. It FINALLY bit and expanded. I have no idea how many revolutions it made, but it is in there tight and the ball fitting is as well.

3) I had to use the rough surface of the spray in liner as leverage to remove the washer from the limiter assembly. It too needed some Wd40 to loosen up.

So, if you get one of these, it will likely be much easier on a new truck than on older, salty model. All in all, it took about an hour.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the posts I have read about this mod, about 75% of the people had no problems at all with the installation, however the others had "problems". They all said the manufacture was excellent to work with regarding new pieces/parts to repair problem parts.
Jay

JimP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put one of these on my 2016 when it was about a month old.

There was a little more to installing it than I would have thought but once done, very glad I did it. Makes life with a pickup a little easier.

Now if they'd come up with escalator running boards. :)

Codydoss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've had my eye on the tailgate assist. Glad to see y'all are enjoying them. I guess I'll have to buy one now [emoji28]

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck doesn't have to be salty for the install to be a pain in the ass. Did mine brand new and it was a struggle but got her done. Great cheap accessory

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I can vouch that the company has amazing customer service. I installed one in my boss' truck a couple weeks after mine. Few months later somehow the blind nut came totally loose. I contacted DeeZee explained that the blind nut had failed and a few days later they sent me out a package containing pretty much everything but the shock for free.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Feeling lucky mines was an easy install.

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I needed a second blind nut setup, cause the first one just wouldn't catch. Company sent me another one, no questions asked. Just sent back the other stuff with a supplied return shipping label.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk