My $99.97 Quad Headlight Dual 2.5" H1 HID Projector Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disclaimer: The parts are cheap, the quality of the work may not be 100% professional but in the end I proved it can be done for cheap AND work!

Sorry for the long post. TL DR; Scroll down for pictures. :)

This hid projector retrofit uses 2 sets of 2.5" HID H1 retrofit projectors in a 09-17' quad headlight housing - one for high, one for low beam.

I ran an into a few snags during the retrofit process, being that it was my first one ever I had to get creative at times. I had issues with the products, fitment issues with parts and having to cut, measure and repeat was the most tedious part.

The low beam projector shrouds fit perfectly and fill up the space. The low beam projector shrouds would not fit without trimming of the oem headlight inner frame, I decided I didn't want to trim that part and designed a two piece part and then 3d printed it, in effect making my own shrouds. I didn't like the 'raw' look. The shrouds are pictured below. These parts required no screws and no glue and should hopefully last the test of time and heat.

I finished the retrofit about a week ago and drove around with them installed for a few days to be sure that nothing would fall off, or catch fire. LOL.

The headlights were purchased from a local guy who burned the mounting tabs off with his HID kit. The HID H1 Projectors are cheap amazon deals I found along with previously used/cheap 55w ballasts and 4300k bulbs (ebay specials/used). The inner housing was painted Ultra Mica Silver and a few coats of clear then baked for 8 minutes at 200 deg. The reflectors were not painted. The lenses were cleaned and cut then buffed. The wiring is straight forward and both projectors stay on and are wired to activate with factory high beams. No angel eyes or cube leds since I wanted to keep it relatively simple. There is no JB weld used at all, everything is adjustable and I can fix it easily (arbitrary).

The best part though is that I came in at a cool $99.97 for this mod, complete with all parts and pieces.

As of now this is my running total parts list -- complete and sealed dual projector quad headlights:

1. Used Quad Headlights: $40.00
2. Used 2x Xentec 55W Ballasts (Came with headlights): FREE
3. 2.5" H1 Projector w/55w Ballasts and H1 4300k Bulbs: $26.00 (Amazon Deal)
4. 2.5" H1 Projector: $15.00 (Amazon Deal)
5. H1 4300K bulbs: $4.99 (Ebay Deal)
6. Duplicolor Ultra Mica Silver: $10.00
7. Laquer Clear Coat: $3.98
8. Warning Cancellers: FREE (Used on a previous vehicle)
9. Butyl Sealant: FREE (Used for Hurricance Irma)

Total: $99.97

All in all, very happy at this point.

I will get cutoff pictures later this evening, hopefully and will post the parts I used and some pictures of the process if I have any on my phone. I'll upgrade the ballasts and bulbs to something of better quality when I get a chance, and get some morimoto h1 bulb holders but for now this is complete.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Pics after install:

LJrEBJD.jpg

19pK4dw.jpg

52VgjZh.jpg

qAHqMC2.jpg

Pics of the parts/process:

NTrNjMP.jpg

3LTPln3.jpg

q8SH5OT.jpg

I used this brand/type of butyl to seal up the headlight with no problems so far (hopefully it lasts).

OceV7Fp.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Looks good! I’ve always wondered how well the cheaper eBay/amazon projector housings would perform

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome work. Can't wait to see the cutoff pictures, and pictures at night to see how far the light goes!

I just did the DT Moto projector housing and HID install (in the other thread), so I'm all excited about lighting now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963