My Running board lighting mod, bed lighting mod and other lighting mods :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Those are neat! I'd be worried about the connection and corrosion. If I used this I would Def throw a big dab of dielectric grease.

dkkinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Both look great, and gave me the same idea. Got the LED and wires in the mail today and now cant wait for the weekend to get them installed. Mine is a 2012 so the wiring is going to be a little different. But I was able to trace down the wires that i will need to tap into for the dome lights today. My plan is to just light up the nerf bars but i am not sure how it will look yet since I have the bars from wheel to wheel.

dkkinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Blackbetty14 do you have a close up of where you exactly installed your lights to shine on the nerf bars more than the ground.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Not at the moment... only nightime photos.

It's the vertical peice below the door on the rocker. I didn't put it on the bottom of the rocker right below the door due to the factory drainage holes. I can try to snap a pic tmrw but we're getting snow.

dkkinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not at the moment... only nightime photos.

It's the vertical peice below the door on the rocker. I didn't put it on the bottom of the rocker right below the door due to the factory drainage holes. I can try to snap a pic tmrw but we're getting snow.

Ok sounds good, i am planning on playing around with it a little anyways to see how i like it the best. Did you just use the 3m tape to attach it or did you use anything else. Just not sure how the 3M tape will hold up or how long it will stay on there. Dont really want it to fall off going down the road.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Ok sounds good, i am planning on playing around with it a little anyways to see how i like it the best. Did you just use the 3m tape to attach it or did you use anything else. Just not sure how the 3M tape will hold up or how long it will stay on there. Dont really want it to fall off going down the road.

I just used the 3M tape. The key is a clean smooth surface for it to adhere to. I've had the stuff stick for a good time. Key is warm temps (I use a heat gun I'm the winter and make sure the surface us perfectly clean and oil/wax free. I had been using meguires can bra car wash with wax in it, then all the road crap and salt from all the snow. I cleaned it off with windex first then used brake clean to get all the wax and oils off. Used a heat gun as I applied the LEDS and then once again after I stuck it down making sure it was down and warm. I will repress it in the warmer months... but should be fine.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Looks good! I guess u stuck them where I had put Mine and It lights up the side steps nicely. How many LEDS did u put in the footwells?

dkkinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a strip about 12" long on drivers side and 17" on passenger side.

Attachments

• 20150308_150033.jpg
    20150308_150033.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 134

wildkarde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I wanted to tap the bed lights into the 3rd light so they operate off that OEM in cab switch anybody have an idea where to hide run the wires thru the body up to that light.

I like the running boards/ foot wells idea. The light blue works well.

dkkinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I wanted to tap the bed lights into the 3rd light so they operate off that OEM in cab switch anybody have an idea where to hide run the wires thru the body up to that light.

I like the running boards/ foot wells idea. The light blue works well.

I plan on doing this next just havent got around to it yet. Maybe this weekend. I will tap into the wires under the dash on the drivers side then run the wires out the same spot I did for the running boards (by the hood release cable). I plan on running it from the engine compartment all the way back towards the back bumper and up the stake pocket in the back of the bed. I have not had the time to determine which wires it is for the cargo light though. I will mess around with it a little this week and figure out what wires i need to tap into.

MrHarleyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a reminder, these 5m led strips pull about 6 amps for the whole 16.4ft or 1.2 amps per meter. If your using any type of switch make sure its rated for the allocated amps, or wire it through a relay with a fuse. I was using a 120v-12v power supply to test, rated at 2.5 amps for the whole 5m strip and the ground connection was getting very hot. Just a heads up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
True! 1.2 amps per meter or 3ft, or 6 amps for a 5m reel.

Interested in your guys trucks with the lights installed, I used to see 14V alternator readings on my evac screen but now I'm seeing 13v constsntly. I'm not running anything but the radio and the truck, no climate controls or defroster or lights and still only reading 13v. I will have to get a reading from the battery and alternator to confirm but I think it's weird on a 6 month old truck. What readings are you guys getting on ur evacs?

Jeff816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Is anybody still following this thread? I have been wanting to do the nerf bar lights for a little bit and just happened to come across this. It's a pretty simple install, my only question is what do I tie into to power the lights? Which wire (color and location) do I use. I don't have foot well lighting. I was thinking what ever wire powers the puddle lights on the side mirrors would be perfect , but I'm open to what ever is the easiest to get to and goes on/off with the any of the lights that function when I use the key fob.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Well it is my thread so... of course I'm following it. Just bc u don't have footwell lighting doesn't mean u don't have the connectors for it. I didn't have footwell lighting but I had the harness and connectors and tapped into that. Since yours is a 14 u prob have the footwell lighting harness and connectors. Takes about 2 min to look under the driver footwell and see a small black connector with 2 wires taped to something.

You could also tap into the puddle lights as well.

dshelt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
looks good definitely going to have to do this

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Are your lights on the rockers still holding up well? I am thinking of adding these to my truck... still trying to decide which color to use...

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Yup, they work great. Truck needs a bath from all the salt this winter but all the lights work still and really help at night.

You could use the RGB version of the LEDs, with a controller and remote so you can pick any color you want. I would have went this way but decided not to due to the added cost of the adapter and controller. Still its not like its super expensive…. prob around $40 total. The biggest thing is hooking both sides into the controller to control the lights equally.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Good to know they are holding up. I have the RGB ones mounter to the awning on the camper. I will probably stick to either white or blue for the truck ;)