Need headlight help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have stock quad headlights I believe. I am attaching a picture.

2014 Bighorn

I just now got headlight High beam out error. LOWER LEFT QUADRENT BULB IS OUT.

I need to replace the pair.

I would like a brighter output, but I am not willing to spend a lot to get it.
I am older and although brighter is better, I don't find myself driving much at night, so it is not worth a lot to me to get brighter.

All this HID, LED and projector stuff confuses me. What do I have?

What do I need and how do I install?

thx

Attachments

• headlights.JPG
    headlights.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have what are called "quad beam" they are all halogen bulbs. 9005/HB3 is the bulb you need.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Those are halogens.

There are some upgraded halogens available from Sylvania (Silver Star Ultra) and PIAA (Xtreme White Plus) that are better than the standard halogens.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Those are the stock standard high beams so any auto parts store should be able to show you a few options at different price points for straight bulb replacement. There's a small panel in the fender liner with a clip that just pulls out with a tug that allows you access to change them fairly easily. They're just a twist lock socket on the back of the headlamp fixture. Counterclockwise to remove, clockwise to lock it back in. Make sure the gasket is still good on the socket when you switch the bulb so you don't get fogging from moisture (they're usually fine). Should be able to turn the wheel enough to get in there and see.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's a small panel in the fender liner with a clip that just pulls out with a tug that allows you access to change them fairly easily.

WOW been watching youtube videos that show me pulling the grill... will look for this.
thanks

WELL... later in the day
There's a small panel in the fender liner with a clip that just pulls out with a tug that allows you access to change them fairly easily.

I found it difficult to get at the headlamps thru this door... turn signals ok, but took of the grill and then it was easy.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
WOW been watching youtube videos that show me pulling the grill... will look for this.
thanks

WELL... later in the day

I found it difficult to get at the headlamps thru this door... turn signals ok, but took of the grill and then it was easy.
I just took one of my high beams out and put it back in through the well just to make sure I could. It only took me a couple minutes, but I have to admit I had a hard time getting my hand in there and it was all feel. Harder than I remember. Also dropped the clip for the access cover so I'm searching for it in the mud at the moment. Lol. Glad you got them put in.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes, if you have done it before I'm sure it is not impossibe to get at the lamps thru the trap door... I found that the grill removal was not all that difficult... as it turned out I needed good access to both lamp units anyway as I replaced the high beams as a pair.

I also had to do some troubleshooting. I had badly scratched my right front fender and took it to a body shop to fix. After picking up the RAM, I next noticed the dash tell me I had right high beam out. So I picked up a pair of SIlver Stars per a previous comment here. When I replaced the bad bulb I found it would still not light. Had me stumped, as the old bulb did not look bad or burnt out. I pulled the left headlamp and noticed the wire harness was differently placed.

Turns out the body shop miss-placed the wiring harnesses on the wrong bulbs, as the connectors are the exact same size and shape on the turn signal bulb and hi-beams. What a fluke... put the harness on the correct bulb and the hi-beam worked... OH WELL I wanted a brighter beam anyway. Have yet to drive at dark to see if I spent $42 bucks for nothing

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When replacing with brighter bulbs at what point is too bright that you run the risk of melting you're socket or wording? Are sikverstar or the next one up, I can't remember the name, a suitable replacement with no worries of causing other problems?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice job figuring that one out.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When replacing with brighter bulbs at what point is too bright that you run the risk of melting you're socket or wording? Are sikverstar or the next one up, I can't remember the name, a suitable replacement with no worries of causing other problems?

It's more about wattage than brightness. I wouldn't go any higher on the wattage as it will get hotter, but some bulbs have higher light output and or different light spectrums at the same wattage. My PIAA bulbs seem brighter than my stock ones, but they're the same wattage.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's more about wattage than brightness. I wouldn't go any higher on the wattage as it will get hotter, but some bulbs have higher light output and or different light spectrums at the same wattage. My PIAA bulbs seem brighter than my stock ones, but they're the same wattage.
So if my truck calls for an H5 headlight bulb are all the H5's the same wattage no matter if it's just a generic H5 or silver star or alta star or do you still have to read the wattage on each individual H5?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not 100% sure. Some bulb codes are just the socket type they fit in and others are replacement part numbers and standardized so I'd double check with whoever you buy them from. I believe the H5 is a standardized 55 watt, but not certain.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When replacing with brighter bulbs at what point is too bright that you run the risk of melting you're socket or wording?

when bulb shopping one terminolgy you will be hit with is color temperature...
or in other words what color light output is the bulb?
the range is from a warmer (redish) bulb to a colder ( white to blueish) bulb...

the SIlver star is a higher temperature whiter light then stock... you can see the temp differences in traffic coming at you at night...

I am not sure if that light output translates to actual bulb temps ( as in more heat producing) ... certainly a higher wattage would get hotter, but I am pretty sure the Silver Stars are 55 watts