Need help old bed liner faded already. best liner for redoing it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey everyone,

when i bought my truck in october i did a roll on bed liner (rustoleum) myself. It looked REALLY good until now. I noticed that the bedliner is now starting to fade. It isnt chipping or anything but its def faded and i have a few scratches from when i used my truck to move across the state.

I wonder if it is fading because i did the liner in winter in a garage. Granted it was heated i had to open the door due to smell.

I refuse to take it to linex and spend well over $500 for the bed and probably another $200 for the bumpers and grille.

so questions are.

1. What prep work do i need to do for this project? I have seen different options online. some say go ahead and just roll right over the old stuff. some say scuff it up and roll over it. other say use a wire wheel and take it completely off.

2. what is the best bed liner to use? Ratpor, heculiner, monstaliner, there are so many options out there. I would prefer a gloss black not a matte black liner. I also want to roll it on unless there is a super cheap kit with a spray gun.

3. im also going to use this liner to paint my bumper and my grille. They are plastidipped right now so i plan to take that off and then use the bedliner to paint them. I plan to scuff these, clean them with alcohol and then roll the liner.

4. how much am i going to need? I think a gallon should do it. but maybe a gallon and a quart? I bought the gallon kit to do my bed and barely use a 1/2 gallon and that was using 3-4 very heavy coats.

ANY ADVICE IS WELCOMED.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it to a line x shop and get it line xed-

My opinion

The only ones I have seen that haven't faded are the linex ones that people take care of with stuff like armorall.

That steep price tags gets you a warranty so you don't have to worry about having to do it again. You

Last edited:

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I gotta go with Line-X. Yeah, it's a bit steep right off the bat, but ya only do it once. Plus warranty repairs. If you're thinking about bumpers and grill, realize you're already having issues with fading in just the bed. These are the things that are leading you doing the road. They're gonna take constant abuse. Hopefully others will chime in with better, cheaper options. Just wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it to a line x shop and get it line xed-

My opinion

The only ones I have seen that haven't faded are the linex ones that people take care of with stuff like armorall.

That steep price tags gets you a warranty so you don't have to worry about having to do it again. You

i just cant really justify 400-600 for a spray in bedliner. maybe in the future if this next roll in liner doesnt hold up then i will. The liner faded it didnt chip. i just think rustoleum is a crappy product. I have used a few other things by them and not always impressed.

i may try herculiner seems to get really good reviews. thanks rzr

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I gotta go with Line-X. Yeah, it's a bit steep right off the bat, but ya only do it once. Plus warranty repairs. If you're thinking about bumpers and grill, realize you're already having issues with fading in just the bed. These are the things that are leading you doing the road. They're gonna take constant abuse. Hopefully others will chime in with better, cheaper options. Just wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

Eventaully i plan to get new bumpers and grille that are already gloss black... just figured id give this a shot before i do that. That is about 9 months off (tax season). I had my explorers grille and bumper bedlinered. The grill chipped but i didnt prep it well (it was a beater) but the bumpers that were metal never chipped or faded after 3 years.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Line-X has a UV stabilizer option. On my present truck I've only had the bed done and it is under a shell so I passed on the UV option. However, on my prior truck ('04 1500) I had the bed done (also with no UV protector as it was under a shell too) and on the front and rear bumpers. The bumpers I had done with the UV protectant and they still looked good when I traded it in. I believe the bumpers were running around in the sun and weather for about 7 years.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Line X (black) I had sprayed in on Jan 3rd 2014 , I have abused the **** out of it and it's still black after baking in the sun for over 3yrs .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i would remove the old liner completely. who knows how well the new liner will adhere to the old one. every time ive seem herculiner in person, it looks like ****. it either fades, or chips away. the texture also looks super rough/chunky, if that makes any sense. doesnt look like it would be good for anyone that actually uses their bed, unless its changed recently and they are using a different texture now. they did offer a UV additive to prevent fading, but that added to the cost. i actually bought a monstaliner kit to roll on my trailer, havent gotten around to it yet though. seemed like a pretty decent product for the price, had UV protection built in and theres a ton of jeep guys that swear by it. i also considered the raptor liner but from what they told me you can roll it on but they recommend spraying it. they offer a spray gun kit thats pretty affordable. i probably would have gone this route if i was doing the bed of the truck, but the trailer is going to be easier to roll on. your probably going to need about a gallon worth of material, but each liner is different in their coverage so it would be best to check with the manufacturer.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't put the new roll on bed liner over the old stuff.... it won't last cuz it doesn't stick. Even Line - X removes all the old stuff before spraying in a new liner.

Every roll on bed liner I've ever used fades quickly. They are OK for an older beat up truck that you want to make the bed look better but I'd never use them on a new truck.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so how on earth do i remove the old bed liner?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Watch this video and have fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&noapp=1&v=a3tqFuoWT5I

You can find multiple videos on YouTube about it. This is way you don't cheep out on spray on bed liners. If a Line X liner has problems it has a warranty.

i dont think the rustoleum is going to come up like that. i doubt its that thick or pliable. if its anything like the old duplicolor bed liner id say your going to need some abrasive sand paper or a grinder with a wire wheel/cup brush and alot of time/patience.

OP
OP
B

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On monstaliners website and some other websites i saw it said unless its peeling or cracked or chipped that i shouldnt try and remove it... I was told that youll never fully get all of the bedliner back out of the truck and that if you do chose to do that its better to pay a shop to do it cause the amount of time is ridiculous.
i saw that the websites recommend a non-sanding primer over the current bedliner... let it dry... and the apply the new bedliner.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On monstaliners website and some other websites i saw it said unless its peeling or cracked or chipped that i shouldnt try and remove it... I was told that youll never fully get all of the bedliner back out of the truck and that if you do chose to do that its better to pay a shop to do it cause the amount of time is ridiculous.
i saw that the websites recommend a non-sanding primer over the current bedliner... let it dry... and the apply the new bedliner.

if it were me, i would test a small area to see how easy or difficult it is to remove the old bedliner before i went ahead and covered it up. i think it really depends on the quality of the liner. i used duplicolor bed liner years ago. i know you could remove that with sandpaper and minimal effort. something like line-x would be a pain in the ass to remove. the way i see it, the new liner your laying down is only going to be as durable as the liner its covering up.