Need help, screwed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed these foglights in my lower bumper grille:
MA_VEH_82211694AB_T001.jpg
Problem is the installer tossed the plastic insert that was in there before I remembered to ask for it so I could cut off the two ends and cover up the gaping holes that are now there where tow hooks would normally go (and no I don't want "just get tow hooks man!" as a solution lol)

Any cheap suggestions on how I can cover these? I'm even willing to do some kind of DYI with a couple of pieces of plastic from something else. There's still holes inside to bolt something in there.

Lone_Wolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
hemi 6.4
black metal mesh? or something along those lines

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
Price a replacement panel through the dealer. It could be one of those surprisingly cheap pieces.. Or not. Haha. Either way its worth a call. If you do, le thus know, the truck I bought suffers from The same issue with the same fogs.

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
black metal mesh? or something along those lines

Yeah I was thinking of something like that. Maybe I can pick up some scrap and just cut them to size and put some elbows along the ends to bolt them where the existing bolt holes are from the old one.

Price a replacement panel through the dealer. It could be one of those surprisingly cheap pieces.. Or not. Haha. Either way its worth a call. If you do, le thus know, the truck I bought suffers from The same issue with the same fogs.

I would, but I just can't bring myself to fork over $100+ to replace my own forgetfulness. I'd just be even more pissed off than I already am.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
Get some expanded aluminum. It's way more rigid and be more permanantely shaped than the cheap lathe you get at Lowe's. I've used it in a Dakota and a 3rd gen grille and when painted black it's very oem appearing.
ExpandedAluminum.jpg

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

ok found a couple ideas for us. For about $10 you can buy a small sheet of metal mesh, or another idea is a strip of mesh gutter guard, paint it whatever color you want and then cut it to size with some tin snips. Put inside the lower bumper grille where your openings are and just zip it in place with some plastic cable cable ties. I ran a cross some forum posts with pics after googling "DIY dodge ram grille" and they looked good, you won't even be able to tell it was a craft project. those companies selling "kits" that do this for $200 don't look any different once you're all done.

Another guy made a pretty cool set for his entire front end using black wire looms:
IMG_4311.jpg

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Repair Parts

Can't seem to link directly to the part so:

Put in your year/make/model, go to body hardware/trim > front bumper > Bumper & Components > lower grill.

$15 for the plastic insert, plus take 5% off for the code "save5"

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
See, surprisingly cheap.

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shipping plus tax puts it over $30 but that's a great find for other stuff so thanks! I'm going to try a honeycomb mesh myself first since it'll match my upper

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Repair Parts

Can't seem to link directly to the part so:

Put in your year/make/model, go to body hardware/trim > front bumper > Bumper & Components > lower grill.

$15 for the plastic insert, plus take 5% off for the code "save5"

I mislabeled it in my post earlier, I found the exact part in the website you linked, it's actually called the filler panel for $41 plus $15 shipping. Damn I'm really pissed off now that I didn't think to recover the part when they removed it! I found a guy that was willing to do the cutouts for me and then mount it for next to nothing but $55 plus tax ****** me off when I could've saved that cost if I had been thinking straight.

Called the service dept and told them I'm not happy they turfed out the part w/o even asking me if I wanted it back to make the cutouts they weren't willing to do, they're going to get back to me tomorrow. If they're not willing to give me a new one I'm going to tell them I hope the loss of all future business from me on top of what I paid them to do this is worth them not just giving me the f-ing $40 part. Then I'll be writing their regional manager AND giving them ****** ratings on every social media out there (which I'll kindly tell the manager I'm doing as well) along with the names of every rep I spoke to. We'll see if that squeaky wheel adage holds up.

Last edited:

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have a brand new one in my office right now for my 2014 that was only $16.86...

Last edited:

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd go with the part that was supposed to be there and trim it up to fit... fairly inexpensive!

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a brand new one in my office right now for my 2014 that was only $16.86...

Mind sharing the purchase place? Was it local or somewhere I can order one from? Lowest I was able to find online so far is $36 from a place I never heard of.

InspectGWS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 JEEP GC SRT8
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Mind sharing the purchase place? Was it local or somewhere I can order one from? Lowest I was able to find online so far is $36 from a place I never heard of.

Your 2012 part is called a FRONT FILLER PANEL - 68088194AA and is $38.83 at the dealer I order from...my truck is a 2014 and the part is called a PANEL-CLOSEOUT - Mopar (68207015AA)...and was only $16.56...

OEM Wholesale Mopar Parts for Sale | Mac Haik

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok thx I'll check their price for mine

OP
OP
R

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like being the squeaky wheel paid off.
After a few days of back and forth with them I told the service Mgr that I can't understand why they felt entitled to keep my perfectly serviceable part and that I wanted either the original back or a free replacement. They ordered me a free replacement :)
Now I'm going to reward good behaviour with some good online reviews. Got a guy lined up to make the cutouts for me too so it'll have a nice finished OEM look.