Nerf Bars vs Hoop Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markeee_mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to the forum. Looking to either replace the black plastic step pads on my current stainless steel Nerf Bars, or upgrade to some Havoc HS3 Black Hoop steps. https://www.realtruck.com/havoc-hs3-black-hoop-steps/R186082P2011Y2712MA.html

I was surprised after purchasing my first nerf bars (I still cant determine the make/brand. The dealer installed them for free), that the step pad was just plastic. Rain + Plastic never seems like a good combination. Can I get some feedback on members with Hoop Steps, or even members who went back to their Nerf Bars.

Is the traction improved during rain or in general? The footprint seems smaller than the plastic footpads on Nerf bars. My truck is Mineral Grey, chrome bumpers, grill, wheels, and handles...so naturally stainless steel makes sense, but I'm leaning towards gloss or mate black. Hope black doesnt throw off the color scheme a bit.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I took the plastic step pads off of my nerfs and sprayed them with traction paint. Works great in general and exceptional in wet conditions.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The Havocs remind me of the NFabs I ran on a 2007 & 2014. Matte black, no plastic covers, thick powdercoating.

I never had a problem with solid footing on them no matter the weather conditions.

Attachments

• 11-06.jpg
    11-06.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
M

markeee_mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for chiming in MADDOG. Hopefully I get some more input so I can make a educated decision.

Mark

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Square style Nerf bars are in thing now.....

Attachments

• 2EBC2180-DFF3-4717-9F3D-B871B1213AB9.jpg
    2EBC2180-DFF3-4717-9F3D-B871B1213AB9.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 58
  • BB9D41E2-BDF4-4085-A73E-1863CB8794DF.jpg
    BB9D41E2-BDF4-4085-A73E-1863CB8794DF.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 62

cbfodalo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Havocs remind me of the NFabs I ran on a 2007 & 2014. Matte black, no plastic covers, thick powdercoating.

I never had a problem with solid footing on them no matter the weather conditions.
I just ordered the havc hs3 bars for my 2013 quad cab 4x4 outdoorsman. I got a great deal on ghem fro. Amazon, $382 plus tax shipped.
So how are yours holding up? I am concern they are going to stick out too far from side.
The mopar oem tubes i ripped off on a piling where not so noticeable. They where clearly not strong though, i turned into a job site with a 3' tall 6x6 post and rail fence. The last 4' of fence dropped down to the exact height if passenger side black aluminum tubes as i turned into it. It felt like i was running over a bump so i just kept going,
These oem tubes are really thin, it crumbled like foil , got all manhled and ripped off center mount.

My mind was clearly elswhere, but maybe these havoc ss powder coates bars will be sronger....

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered the havc hs3 bars for my 2013 quad cab 4x4 outdoorsman. I got a great deal on ghem fro. Amazon, $382 plus tax shipped.
So how are yours holding up? I am concern they are going to stick out too far from side.
The mopar oem tubes i ripped off on a piling where not so noticeable. They where clearly not strong though, i turned into a job site with a 3' tall 6x6 post and rail fence. The last 4' of fence dropped down to the exact height if passenger side black aluminum tubes as i turned into it. It felt like i was running over a bump so i just kept going,
These oem tubes are really thin, it crumbled like foil , got all manhled and ripped off center mount.

My mind was clearly elswhere, but maybe these havoc ss powder coates bars will be sronger..

Lol. You need rock sliders not ***** step bars.

Wayne E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always feel the step style will catch on something, and dig into snow and mud. The bars slide nicely over snow and mud, imo. And Ice doesn't build up on the bar style as it does on the fronts of the step style. My experience anyways

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

My mind was clearly elswhere, but maybe these havoc ss powder coates bars will be sronger....

I am not using them as sliders. They are just a convenience for my 5 Foot Nothing wife to be able to get up into the cab.