New member needs your 2 cents on running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry2d2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Big
Good morning I got my first ram this week. 2017 big horn crew, love it!!!! Looking for running boards I have 20inch chrome and other chrome trim. Are stainless and polished boards going to match or do I need chrome??? Thanks in advance looking forward to ram talk

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you can afford them, I recommend AMP power bars

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Good morning I got my first ram this week. 2017 big horn crew, love it!!!! Looking for running boards I have 20inch chrome and other chrome trim. Are stainless and polished boards going to match or do I need chrome??? Thanks in advance looking forward to ram talk
Inexpensive nerf bars or side steps typically have only fore and aft attachment points. That's okay if its for your wife or kids, but may put more strain on your rocker than you realize. I'm a big guy, but never use the side steps so the stationary less expensive chrome steps work for me.

better side steps have an additional middle attachment to spread the load on your rockers.

Motorized retracting steps would be top of the line, but unless you are an electrical wiz finding that power might be beyond DIY.

Yes, it has been done for RAM and there are probably a couple hundred folks on RF with them and even a score that can give good advice that way, but I look at them as something else to rust or break. When my chrome cheapies start to fade I'll prime them and paint them black until rust makes me replace them with another set of cheapies since I live in snow and salt country.

Hope that helps. :buffer:

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you have a 1500, AMP steps might be a little to much for what they'll do. The 1500s don't sit as high as the 2500s.

I have them on my 2500, my brother in law just got a 2500, he didn't have steps and wow, you do need them. He got black steps as he wanted them to blend in and not stick out.

I have a friend that has a 1500 and I am not convinced steps are even needed. When he put them on, it actually made getting in and out harder.

I am not tall, I'm 5'10" - and found it awkward when he had them on. After a few weeks he took them off and sold them.

Case in point, tight parking spot, we go to get out and the steps made it really hard to get out as we had to climb down over them to get out.

Maybe give it a few days and see if you 'need' them?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I went OEM wheel to wheel and they match my chrome bumpers :)

Reaction score
Ram Year
13 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi
Engine
SLT Outdoorsman
Get the flat black mopar product, high quality, blends in nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

JBYRD8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I still have my oem chrome steps if anyone wants to buy them? A pic of them on the truck
3f3d063e8954f5c48413c4c7da712802.jpg

GreyBolt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I still have my oem chrome steps if anyone wants to buy them? A pic of them on the truck
3f3d063e8954f5c48413c4c7da712802.jpg

Hey how much do you want for them? Unless getting them to Las Vegas would negate any possibility there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBYRD8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey how much do you want for them? Unless getting them to Las Vegas would negate any possibility there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent you pm

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nerf bars help with door ding protection.

I have a 1500 and the AMP boards makes getting in and out with my old body much easier.

If you buy AMP, find a good installer or do it yourself (get the plug and play kit). Some installers take shortcuts that they say don't matter. They also add bumpers to limit retraction so they don't have to deal with pinch weld clearance adjustments. Been there, done that.

Nerf bars a a lot easier to install yourself.