New step bar brackets - best type of paint to protect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before I install step bars on the new truck I figure it won't hurt to hit them with another coat of paint of some sort. But what type of paint would be best? I'm great with a rattle can, but don't care about looks as much as protection.

My source would be Lowes or Home depot. So nothing exotic! :)

As the brackets are new I only need to clean and degrease... maybe scuff them up a bit.

Thanks in advance.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lowes - I'm a big fan of Rustoleum Professional. I'd use gloss or semi gloss black. Good stuff and holds up well. Expensive, but worth it.

That's actually a pretty good ideal. I just put step bars on my new truck but didn't coat the brackets. I did spray the bolts where they bolt the brackets to the rocker, because they didn't appear to be SS bolts. Good luck.

OP
OP
A

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OK I can handle that. I notice they have silver in stock. Hmmmm... My running boards are brushed aluminum. I wonder if the brackets would be less noticeable if they were silver...

Maybe I'll get a can of both black and silver. Heading out now.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Cool, yes I'd think they would be less noticeable in silver, but when the silver starts failing you'll see the black underneath. I think I'd go black if it was me, but both will look good