New tire take off replacement: DuraTrac vs BFG KO2 in stock 20"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does the axle ratio play into which would be a better tire for a 3.21 rear vs the 3.92?

I know both tires weigh more than the stock GY and the BFG KO2 is the heaviest one. Can the 3.21 handle the BFG or would the DuraTracs be a better choice.
As long as you stay stock size it shouldn't matter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't tried the KO 2's but have had KO originals. I guarantee that they will last long then the duratracs and be quieter.

I'd still buy the duratracs again. I run one set of tires year round and they don't disappoint. Lots of snow ice and snow banks to crawl over. Can't see the KO2's improving that much in those scenarios.

If your into rocks somebody else can chime in.

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
+1 on the Duratrac's. Got them over the KO2 because I got a great GY credit for complaining about the SRA's at 10k. I drove on the KO's and brother has a new set on his rig.. you can't go wrong with either, but I'd go Duro's again in a minute.
And yes, it did drop about 2mpg with them on all around.

Marksr20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last week i had the ko2's installed on my truck. I didnt read this thread and I was going to post a thread just like this last month but for whatever reason i did not. I had 43k on the gy sr-a and the snow around here made me a bit uncomfortable to drive on them any longer. It even got bad in the rain, slipping for no reason etc. Traction control def helped a lot.

So now onto the ko2's. So far i am very happy. I was really worried when i walked into the tire shop and saw them on the rack, they looked like the road noise winners lol. But far far from it. Ive got 300 miles on them so far and I am so happy i went with them. They are on my stock sport wheels and they look great. We had a small snow storm early this week which got us 3" of snow one day and then sleet/ice the next. I tried to get them to slip (going up hills in 2wd with little force not a deadweight under my foot) and very little to no slip at all. My friend in ohio told me to go with them as he has a 2012 silverado 2wd and he gets through those ohio snowstorms with ease now.

I use my truck for literally everything from daily driver to towing my race car and other cars/trucks, dinners with the wife and niece(with an addition to my son on the way in june)to filling the bed with mulch as high as the roof. I know i dont have much time with these tires but i think they will be a great all around tire for everything i do.

I have one question though: What tire pressure are you guys running these at? My tire shop put them at 46lbs and i was thinking more like 42? Can anyone else comment on this?

Im sorry i dont want to take over your thread i just want to let u know my experience with the ko2's. I did not try any other tires on this truck other than the stock ones that I milked 43k out of (i should have changed them at 24k) and the tire warranty i got at the dealership i bought my truck from ended up getting me 2 tires as i had a nail in the front left and rear left tires. My tire shop wanted to charge me $1517 for 4 ko2's mounted/balanced/and an alignment with tax etc.... With the warranty i got the tires installed for less than half of that price.

I highly recommend them and the road noise over stock i can describe in a scale below:

Scale of 1-10 (1 meaning loud, 10 meaning pin drop quiet)
stock gy sr-a: 9
ko2: 6.5-7

Good luck on your decision. I highly recommend the ko2's but that is honestly with no info or experience to go against your other choice on the table. I had toyo open country tires on my 02 ram 2500 diesel and i thought they were great heavy duty tires but i think thats comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks and if you have any questions you want to ask me directly since im not on here much my email is [email protected]

OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the BFG KO2's. Just swapped the stock tires out this morning so too early for a review other than they look better IMO. ada3f7d0bff10036ec370652ff9ed032.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodeo1st

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dura tracs

put mine on after a winter storm could not take stock tires anymore .
was worried about noise but really is not any louder then stock don't think you can go wrong with either tire those where my picks as well .
gas mileage i have not noticed any note worthy difference as just got truck and keeping eye on mileage but what a difference it made don't need to use 4x4 nearly as much either when going to cabin . side note don't have limited slip either . only thing bad i can think of is they don't like ice . they ok but not great on ice . everything else no issues . and don't get pushed around on highway anymore by the slush or ridges . hope it helps .

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Last week i had the ko2's installed on my truck. I didnt read this thread and I was going to post a thread just like this last month but for whatever reason i did not. I had 43k on the gy sr-a and the snow around here made me a bit uncomfortable to drive on them any longer. It even got bad in the rain, slipping for no reason etc. Traction control def helped a lot.

So now onto the ko2's. So far i am very happy. I was really worried when i walked into the tire shop and saw them on the rack, they looked like the road noise winners lol. But far far from it. Ive got 300 miles on them so far and I am so happy i went with them. They are on my stock sport wheels and they look great. We had a small snow storm early this week which got us 3" of snow one day and then sleet/ice the next. I tried to get them to slip (going up hills in 2wd with little force not a deadweight under my foot) and very little to no slip at all. My friend in ohio told me to go with them as he has a 2012 silverado 2wd and he gets through those ohio snowstorms with ease now.

I use my truck for literally everything from daily driver to towing my race car and other cars/trucks, dinners with the wife and niece(with an addition to my son on the way in june)to filling the bed with mulch as high as the roof. I know i dont have much time with these tires but i think they will be a great all around tire for everything i do.

I have one question though: What tire pressure are you guys running these at? My tire shop put them at 46lbs and i was thinking more like 42? Can anyone else comment on this?

Im sorry i dont want to take over your thread i just want to let u know my experience with the ko2's. I did not try any other tires on this truck other than the stock ones that I milked 43k out of (i should have changed them at 24k) and the tire warranty i got at the dealership i bought my truck from ended up getting me 2 tires as i had a nail in the front left and rear left tires. My tire shop wanted to charge me $1517 for 4 ko2's mounted/balanced/and an alignment with tax etc.... With the warranty i got the tires installed for less than half of that price.

I highly recommend them and the road noise over stock i can describe in a scale below:

Scale of 1-10 (1 meaning loud, 10 meaning pin drop quiet)
stock gy sr-a: 9
ko2: 6.5-7

Good luck on your decision. I highly recommend the ko2's but that is honestly with no info or experience to go against your other choice on the table. I had toyo open country tires on my 02 ram 2500 diesel and i thought they were great heavy duty tires but i think thats comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks and if you have any questions you want to ask me directly since im not on here much my email is [email protected]

I can't believe you got that many miles out of the SRAs. I have 33K on mine and they're almost completely done. 90% highway driving on them, I think goodyear is going to be hearing from me.

We had one wicked snow storm this winter and I'm always responsible for driving everyone to work when there's a big storm because I have the Ram (I work in public safety). In the last storm I got about a mile away from work and one of my tires blew. Had to change it with the dinky spare in the middle of a full on snow storm.

I haven't lost faith in goodyear, I still am favoring the dura tracs for my next one, just disapointed they would make such a POS tire.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the duratracks changed a bit a couple years ago, maybe added kevlar or something.

Anyway you will see lots of love for the newer duratracks, not so much for the older model. I didn't like how my KOs did in the snow, not much traction. But that was 2007-2008 on a 2500 mega cab. I have not tried duratracks.

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the old thread bump, but I didn't see the need to start a new one. I've got the '14 1500 with 20" wheels, and the stock Sr-As on them. 61K miles ! They've been literally across the country, from Northern Ohio to Georgia and all the way the So Cal and back. I drive pretty almost literally all freeway to work, from nearly my front door to the parking lot.

As you might imagine, they're waaaaay past due. I mostly get around on my bikes during the summer, and so I've been putting it off as long as possible, but with fall settling in it's time for new rubber. So I have a couple questions for the crowd here:

1. Can I move up to a 285/55/20 size with no rubbing? I'd like to have a slightly larger tire.

2. I had Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my last truck (03 Z71) for quite a while and liked them a lot. They seem to beat the BFGs and Dura Tracs on price by a bit. Anyone have any experience with them?

3. Cheaper alternative: The Cooper Discoverer A/T? Any thoughts on those? If they're cheaper, I don't mind not getting as much life out of them. I'm looking for bang for the buck over absolute longevity, as I might lift in the next couple years anyway. (It's on the list after grad school).

Thanks for your thoughts.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the old thread bump, but I didn't see the need to start a new one. I've got the '14 1500 with 20" wheels, and the stock Sr-As on them. 61K miles ! They've been literally across the country, from Northern Ohio to Georgia and all the way the So Cal and back. I drive pretty almost literally all freeway to work, from nearly my front door to the parking lot.

As you might imagine, they're waaaaay past due. I mostly get around on my bikes during the summer, and so I've been putting it off as long as possible, but with fall settling in it's time for new rubber. So I have a couple questions for the crowd here:

1. Can I move up to a 285/55/20 size with no rubbing? I'd like to have a slightly larger tire.

2. I had Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my last truck (03 Z71) for quite a while and liked them a lot. They seem to beat the BFGs and Dura Tracs on price by a bit. Anyone have any experience with them?

3. Cheaper alternative: The Cooper Discoverer A/T? Any thoughts on those? If they're cheaper, I don't mind not getting as much life out of them. I'm looking for bang for the buck over absolute longevity, as I might lift in the next couple years anyway. (It's on the list after grad school).

Thanks for your thoughts.

285/55/20 is actually smaller, though slightly wider. You'll have no problems. I better bet might be 275/60/20

In my area, the A/Ts are a lot more money than the KO2

I have had the Coopers on a previous 3rd Gen. LOVED them but ultimately wanted a more aggressive looking tire this time around. Also check out the Zeon.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The Duratracs are fantastic in the snow. There are a LOT of those sold up here in the Dakotas area, and you never see them in the used tire shops. By the time guys get done with them, they are done. Some guys go through a set a year, others go through a set every 3+ years. Not sure why such a wide range of mileage reports.

I see a lot of Falken ATw, Michelin AT2, and Firestone Transforce AT tires for sale barely used up here. Heard they don't do well in midwest winters. Got rid of a set of Michelin AT2 tires myself.

The most common AT tires I see up here that I never see in used tire shops: Duratracs, Firestone Destination AT, BFG KO/KO2.

They are often overlooked, but a tire thats a little bit more aggressive than the Cooper AT3 but not as aggressive as the Duratracs is the Hankook Dyanpro ATm tire. They are my personal favorite for the snow and light mud. My only complaint about them is they love to pick up tiny rocks, such as the "river pebble" used for two-thirds of my driveway.

Last edited:

murph909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I was creeping around the forum trying to solve the KO2 vs Duratrac question and wanted to add another question to the mix.

I can get both for similar prices locally here in Newfoundland, the KO2 being LT275/60/20 and the Duratrac being P275/60/20.

Does the fact that the KO2 is an LT tire and the Duratrac is a P tire make a big difference or effect the decision any? I can get the Duratrac in an LT size but not for a price good enough to bother.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive ran both, duratrac in a LT285/60/20 and ko2 in a LT275/65/20 and prefer the duratracs all arround, dry/wet/mud/snow...the ko2's are quieter on the highways but with the exhaust i cant tell anyways.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was creeping around the forum trying to solve the KO2 vs Duratrac question and wanted to add another question to the mix.

I can get both for similar prices locally here in Newfoundland, the KO2 being LT275/60/20 and the Duratrac being P275/60/20.

Does the fact that the KO2 is an LT tire and the Duratrac is a P tire make a big difference or effect the decision any? I can get the Duratrac in an LT size but not for a price good enough to bother.

The duratrac will ride better and probably be lighter. LT tires are meant more for heavy loads therefore they will ride stiffer when unloaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gassyplumber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 trx4 hemi crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
The p tread on the duratrac is shallower than the lt I think

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Dura-Tracs don't last very long. Most folks are getting 28-32K miles out of them. My newish truck already needs new tires and the miles aren't that high.
No way I have Had 4 sets on my truck now nothing less then 40k miles unless I run over something that punctures and ruins it. 2012 ram 1500 181k miles

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2ff7c302ba335757cc56e20ffd0cf68d.jpg
Tread after 42k miles a lot of highway back roads and roads that weren't there. Duratracs

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk