New tires…BFG, Toyo, Cooper…or DC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Ok…first time Ram owner…and first time owner of a full size 4x4 truck (last time I had a truck it was 2002 and it was a 2WD '99 ranger LOL). Either way, as so many of you painfully know, our stock tires are not great so I'm looking to put new tires on my Ram…which is:

2014 Ram 1500 "black" Express
4X4
Quad cab
The only added options were limited slip rear diff (nice), 3.55 rear, side steps and a backup cam.

Ok…my driving style. Light off road (very light compared to some of you), I live in central Illinois where we got a record breaking 55" of snow so snow/ice handling is a must.

…and the tires that have mdd my list thus far:

Toyo Open Country A/T II 275/65:
OPEN COUNTRY A/T II - OnlineTires.com

BFG KO 275/65:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...del=All-Terrain+T/A+KO&partnum=765SR0ATAKORWL

Cooper ATP 275/60:
Cooper Discoverer ATP tires - Reviews, ratings and specs in the Normal Area - Discount Tire

and then these fellas…I've never heard of **** Cepek so possibly these are crap, that's what I'm asking you guys.

DC Trail Country 275/65:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=****+Cepek&tireModel=Trail+Country&partnum=765SR0TC

DC Fun Country 275/65:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=****+Cepek&tireModel=Fun+Country&partnum=765QR0FC

The Fun Country look pretty aggressive and probably won't work for me…but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Either way…the 275/65 adds 1.1" to the overall height so I'm guessing outside of a bit of speedometer flub (-3mph at 70mph according to online calculators), I think fit will be fine.

Any advice would be highly welcome. From the fit to the performance to personal testimonies…I'd love to read your input from fellow Ram owners.

Lastly…just for the fun of it, here's a pic of the truck the day I bought it, Feb 15th.
IMG_2089_zps19f6ae6a.jpg

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Opinions on tires are as diverse as the membership on the forums. So please, take everything in perspective. Welcome aboard btw, nice lookin truck.

I had a terrible experience with BFG (aka Michellen) a couple years ago which pushed me from ever buying their product again. http://www.ramforum.com/f48/bfg_tires_falling_apart-17994/

Personally, due to the manufacturing process of most companies vs. Toyo/Nitto, I've decided on using Toyo/Nitto due to their use of continuous banding that isn't adhered at one point, causing an inherently out-of-balance tire. My Nittos have tiny weights on the rims and are smooth as silk at up to 160kmph (and likely faster but I won't drive my truck any faster than that). Some people consider Nitto to be a bit of a fanboy brand, but in my experience, they are doing something different and that works for me. The Nittos I am running have over 40,000kms and still have lots of tread left that is wearing evenly. I suspect I'll get 80,000km+ out of this set and will definately be getting a set of Toyo AT2 or Nitto TerraGrapplers for my next set.

Snow performance on the TGs is certainly adequate. They are not a winter tire however. I decided to use them this winter in Calgary and have done a bit of highway traveling. Under panic breaking and maneuvering they gripped well. Not as well as my Dedicated Winter Coopers but well enough that I felt no need to switch the tires over. I used the Coopers when we lived up North and likely would given the continuous ice/snow climate, if we were still up there... I couldn't justify it in Calgary though.

Good luck.. and enjoy the opinions.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Opinions on tires are as diverse as the membership on the forums. So please, take everything in perspective. Welcome aboard btw, nice lookin truck.

I had a terrible experience with BFG (aka Michellen) a couple years ago which pushed me from ever buying their product again. http://www.ramforum.com/f48/bfg_tires_falling_apart-17994/

Personally, due to the manufacturing process of most companies vs. Toyo/Nitto, I've decided on using Toyo/Nitto due to their use of continuous banding that isn't adhered at one point, causing an inherently out-of-balance tire. My Nittos have tiny weights on the rims and are smooth as silk at up to 160kmph (and likely faster but I won't drive my truck any faster than that). Some people consider Nitto to be a bit of a fanboy brand, but in my experience, they are doing something different and that works for me. The Nittos I am running have over 40,000kms and still have lots of tread left that is wearing evenly. I suspect I'll get 80,000km+ out of this set and will definately be getting a set of Toyo AT2 or Nitto TerraGrapplers for my next set.

Snow performance on the TGs is certainly adequate. They are not a winter tire however. I decided to use them this winter in Calgary and have done a bit of highway traveling. Under panic breaking and maneuvering they gripped well. Not as well as my Dedicated Winter Coopers but well enough that I felt no need to switch the tires over. I used the Coopers when we lived up North and likely would given the continuous ice/snow climate, if we were still up there... I couldn't justify it in Calgary though.

Good luck.. and enjoy the opinions.

Thanks for the reply...and being a car guy (sports cars), I have spent years on forums and know exactly what you speak of...lots of opinions. I try me best to sort things out by volume and more often than not, the truth comes out.

The Toyo were on the top of my list for a reason. I've read some pretty good things about their AT line. I had forgotten about the General, as it made a top spot in my research as well.

The stocker tires are so bad, the balance weights from the factory darn near line one side of my wheels...I hope they can get them off without damaging the finish!

The KOs made my list because we have them on a shop F250 and they've performed well...except on ice, where they suck. Then again, many tires suck on ice unless they have studs.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I had a set of GY SRA tires on my '07 1500 when I bought it new. I couldn't accelerate with traffic due to the constant spinning in both wet and dry conditions. Within 30 days of buying my new truck, I had put a set of TOYO AT tires on and never looked back. They have a GY plant in Medicine Hat where I'm originally from and most of the residents there won't run the tires either... I think that says a lot about the brand loyalty and quality of the product they produce. I've heard their Silent Armour premium tires are okay, but when their premium tire is only at the "OKAY" level, again, its hard to put any faith in the quality of the rest of their product line.

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered a pair of Cooper AT3 last week, got them put on, still saving for the other set. I ripped a sidewall in my OEM's and I'm not replacing those turds even though I had 20k on them. So far they ride nice and but I still have 2 turds on the back until at least next week. Nothing like needed tires right before fliying out on vacation in two weeks. I like the look of the new tires as well, I'll snap a pic today.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I ordered a pair of Cooper AT3 last week, got them put on, still saving for the other set. I ripped a sidewall in my OEM's and I'm not replacing those turds even though I had 20k on them. So far they ride nice and but I still have 2 turds on the back until at least next week. Nothing like needed tires right before fliying out on vacation in two weeks. I like the look of the new tires as well, I'll snap a pic today.

A buddy has the AT3 on his GMC truck...he loved them this winter. Concerning the stockers, I don't like Goodyear. I have yet to have a good set of tiers form them (all car types). After getting stuck in a tiny drift of snow in the Ram a months ago (stinking rear tires got stuck, I had to actually put it in 4WD to get out)...I don't want to wait until these crappers wear out, I want them gone.

I'm a fickle fella...I was 99% sold on the Toyo Open Country then I started reading on the **** Cepek Fun County tire. Tons of good reviews and plenty of videos of people tearing up stuff in them (including snow).

I know there is no end all be all A/T all season tire...but they seem like a winner.

My research is far from over...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just be careful when buying Toyo's online, unless Toyo has changed their policy in the last couple of years they aren't supposed to be sold by online retailers and won't come with a warranty. This is why they made the Nitto branded tires. I'm a fan of both as they are one in the same and can't find that quality for the price in IMHO.

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a pick of the coopers.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395094644255.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395094644255.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 10,723

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running 275/65R20 Good Year All Terrain w/Kevlar tires and am very impressed. They are very quiet, handle well in dry, wet, & snow, and come with a 60,000 mile warranty. They are very new to the market, so many don't know about them.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I thought I'd post up a reply here...

First off, thanks for the help.

Second...I'm 95% I'm going with the Toyo Open country. Got a decent price OTD on 275/65 set. Funny, after doing some reading, most 275/60 are P rated, 275/65 are LT.

Either way...almost went with the **** Cepek Fun Country...they're about $150 more than the Toyo but there's not as much info out there on them in terms of tread life.

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought I'd post up a reply here...

First off, thanks for the help.

Second...I'm 95% I'm going with the Toyo Open country. Got a decent price OTD on 275/65 set. Funny, after doing some reading, most 275/60 are P rated, 275/65 are LT.

Either way...almost went with the **** Cepek Fun Country...they're about $150 more than the Toyo but there's not as much info out there on them in terms of tread life.

Toyo is a very good tire good choice if that is what you end up going with, I would recommend Toyos or Nittos over any other brand every day of the week.

Cyborg2337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good choice, I'm also a big fan of Toyo/Nitto. Are those rims 8" or 9"? Since you are leaning towards the Toyos did you consider going with a 295/60? It's very similar to the 275/65 but it's about an inch or so wider which will sit nicely on a 9" rim. I have decided to go this route once my Goodyears wear down (not soon enough!)

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have those Toyo A/T 2's and love em...they are the most capable tires I've ever run...very pleased with them, had them on for about 15k and they look brand new

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395431968259.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395431968259.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 5,287
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395431985779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395431985779.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2,425
  • uploadfromtaptalk1395432032418.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395432032418.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 673

CabinDweller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I am a big fan of Cooper tires. I've had the Zeon LTZ's and Discoverer AT3's. Both were excellent tires! The AT3 has gotten much praise from the experts.

OP
OP
T

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I am a big fan of Cooper tires. I've had the Zeon LTZ's and Discoverer AT3's. Both were excellent tires! The AT3 has gotten much praise from the experts.

You know...I was almost 100% sold on the AT3. They are well priced and rate well...

But they're an unattractive tire.

Yes, I'm superficial, I'll admit it. Now, I won't say that I'm going to get a tire based only on looks, but I do want the look of the tire to match the look of my truck. I looked and looked until I found a tire that is a bit more aggressive in looks, but rates well. The Toyo seems to fit that bill. It's a nice, more aggressive looking tire but comes with a 50K warranty and reviews/rates extremely well. To top it off, the Toyo is only about $100 more for the set.

Now...to decide on 275/65 or 285/55.....

lswing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm running 275/65R20 Good Year All Terrain w/Kevlar tires and am very impressed. They are very quiet, handle well in dry, wet, & snow, and come with a 60,000 mile warranty. They are very new to the market, so many don't know about them.

Running the same tire. Drives great, really strong! Haven't had in snow yet, but it should drive better than Toyo or Cooper or Nitto, just better compound and design. The BFG was my second choice. I feel the other manufacturers make tires based more on looks than performance, but again some is just opinion. If you buy spendy tires you will be good in general.

Really like the size of the 34's too!

RAMHEMI06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI-5.7
I am running the 285/65R20 BFG's on my truck. I got right at 60k out of my first set. I love BFG's and wouldn't have another A/T tire. I sell them consistently and have had no problems so far but I see other people (on this forum) have. I have been lucky so far I guess. It's well worth the $385.00 a tire to me. But that is my .02