No trailer mirrors for my 2017 2500 Longhorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sounnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, sorry my first post is a semi negative one.

Just bought my new 2500 Longhorn Limited rig mainly for pulling my RV all over the country wherever I want to. I thought it was odd that a rig like this didn't come with extended tow mirrors, so in the purchase agreement I had the dealership include some factory tow mirrors I would install later.

Today I got a call saying vehicles with certain sales codes could not use power tow mirrors. The codes were:

LEM - Exterior mirrors with memory
LEN - Chrome mirrors
LER - Power folding mirrors

Then they said I have all 3 restricted sales codes on my truck, so the factory tow mirrors cant be added to my truck. Apparently this generation of the RAM has suffered door module failures when the power mirrors are added on top of the restricted sales codes.

Bummer!

So unless you guys here in Ram land know of a resolution for me, I suppose I will be buying a set of strap on Tow Mirrors until a fix is found.

Thanks for any input,

Rick

Attachments

• Photo Apr 02, 11 09 27 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 02, 11 09 27 AM.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 192

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds to me like time to go to a different dealer.

If you put on the towing mirrors, those codes won't apply, and only the 'module ' that will be used is the one for memory

They should have known this BEFORE you got the truck & mirrors in the deal.

I would NOT use a truck with strap on mirrors if towing mirrors could have been had.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The code for the tow mirrors is LEG. Sounds like your dealer kinda sucks lol.
Your mirrors will work now with the codes you have. Adding LEG code just makes it so when you flip the field goals up you mirror adjust controls aren't 180 out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't have a 2500, but i have a 1500 that i want to use for towing, three different deals basically told me the same thing, can't be done after the fact, we can't flash codes, and it'll break everything if we add them. It's a shame, trucks tow things.. why we can't get mirrors to assist sucks. I had to go with some aftermarket slip-ons, and they suck equally as much as the dealer does.

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry to hear but dam that truck is sexy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i hope your getting a credit for the value of the tow mirrors.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree the dealership should have known this before selling the truck. Thanks is one good looking ride though.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Yeah, I'd be looking to get a nice big check and then just order a pair of mirrors to swap myself.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
That dealer is full of crap. The trailer mirrors are available as manual or power folding. Chrome is purely cosmetic. Finally, the mirror memory is built into the door module.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That dealer is full of crap. The trailer mirrors are available as manual or power folding. Chrome is purely cosmetic. Finally, the mirror memory is built into the door module.

I test drove a fully loaded limited that had tow mirrors but they were not power folding. Are you sure that is an option?

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Yeah.

Right,[GP1], [LEG] 68285870AC and Left,[GP1], [LEG] 68285871AE

GP1 = Power folding
LEG = Trailer tow mirror

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sounnder

Sounnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

my thoughts exactly.

Yep they are refunding what I paid. The mirrors only have an issue due to the specific options my truck has. (I believe specifically the memory option is the problem along with power fold.) I have no idea why chrome is an issue other than they don't have a Tow mirror with chrome that will work with my specific truck.

I think i'll wait a little while and see what Dodge and 1Aauto can come up with. Eventually I will get it taken care of.

Thanks for all the positive comments about my truck, I agree completely!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep they are refunding what I paid. The mirrors only have an issue due to the specific options my truck has. (I believe specifically the memory option is the problem along with power fold.) I have no idea why chrome is an issue other than they don't have a Tow mirror with chrome that will work with my specific truck.

I think i'll wait a little while and see what Dodge and 1Aauto can come up with. Eventually I will get it taken care of.

Thanks for all the positive comments about my truck, I agree completely!

The memory module will be used with or without towing mirrors, as it's what puts it back in the right spot after backing up if you have them set to tilt down when in reverse.

It has to have something to do with the power folding option, as until very recently, power folding tow mirrors didn't exist (I would have them if they did).

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
go to the ram 2500 build site there is power folding chrome mirrors as an option on the Laramie and up. sorry but I would be really pissed with the dealership for not getting it right the first time. you laid down some serious change for that truck. oh and it is a really nice truck I'm jealous lol.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
First off, very nice rig, congrats!

Second, I'd be very upset if i were you.

One of the main reasons i upgraded to my 17 ram from my 15 Silverado is the Chevy dealer wanted $1200 to put the trailer tow mirrors on my Silverado. Ridiculous!

I've been RVing for many years now and i don't like the slip on or strap on tow mirrors at all. Poor visibility, pita to put on and off all the time, etc.

My oem trailer tow mirrors are not factory fold, but i don't mind. It's caused me no issue so far.

Good luck man. I hope you can get some oem trailer tow mirrors on that beautiful rig. Take care.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
go to the ram 2500 build site there is power folding chrome mirrors as an option on the Laramie and up. sorry but I would be really pissed with the dealership for not getting it right the first time. you laid down some serious change for that truck. oh and it is a really nice truck I'm jealous lol.

I know....they started like last year........

And you need to ask questions about that......as when I built mine online, it said they were power folding towing mirrors.....but what they meant was they were powered towing mirrors with manual fold....IE, the flip up & fold in part is done manually, everything else is powered (adjustment, heat, turn signals, auto dimming, tilt in reverse, etc)

My window sticker says powered heated mirrors with turn signals and manual fold, so it is more accurate in the description.

If the deal was they sold you the mirrors so you had towing mirrors, I'd be pushing for a new truck WITH the correct mirrors on it before I'd do any type of aftermarket mirrors, or put any kind of miles on it.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like BS to me. They added power fold, pan and tilt mirrors to my Big Horn and reflashed the sales codes to make sure it all worked properly.

I think you need a different dealer.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't know if your dealer is that clueless, or you and your dealer have a misunderstanding of what mirrors you actually what. Either way, if you have a limited, then you already have the following features standard:
Auto dimming exterior mirror
Courtesy lamps
Heating element
Memory
Turn signals
Power Chrome Multi-Function Mirrors w/Pwr Fold-Away
Power Folding Mirrors

Power fold away TOW mirrors is a $195 option. So whichever tow mirrors you want to install (the regular non power fold, or the power folding ones), all you need to do is install them and all the functions will already work plug and play. No sales codes need to be added because you already have them ALL.

OP
OP
Sounnder

Sounnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know if your dealer is that clueless,

I just wanted to say yeah, they are that clueless.

I wouldnt let them touch my truck with a 10 foot pole as far as service or repair go. Basically I saw my truck, went in to test the 4th gen RAM and ended up taking it home because I kicked their a** so bad on the price I got it for. Basically, the price was so good I really dont care about the mirrors, i will find some factory units eventually. But I definately appreciate the input everyone has had on the topic.

I have a good dealership about 25 miles away where I plan on having it serviced.

Thanks again for the input guys!:favorites13:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45