OEM Backup Camera Not Working / Black Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just noticed my backup camera is no longer working (happened today). When the backup camera should be on the screen, it's just a black, blank screen.

My 36k bumper to bumper is about to expire (35,681). I plan on taking it in -- just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's happened twice on my 2016 but it's always started working the next time I started the truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's happened twice on my 2016 but it's always started working the next time I started the truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Interesting -- thanks. I'll pull codes on it later and see if I have a "lost connection to module code stored or something"

It works now -- strange.

Llando88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2016 2500 with this issue. I’m at 48k so am out of warranty.

Last November, backing in to a place, my tailgate camera went crazy, wiggly lines only, no picture. After a stop, start, it worked normally.

A few weeks ago, the same thing happened.

Yesterday, trying to connect up my travel trailer, I got a green screen. I checked to see if the bed camera was bad, but it was ok.

For whatever reason, I lowered then raised the tailgate. Apparently it jostled something, as it worked. I was able to use it to hitch up normally.

So I suspect I have a bad tailgate camera.

1) Are these difficulty to swap out? I’ll have to go check parts prices, but I can’t believe it would take much to change.

2) Or how about reseating cables? Does the fact of whacking the tailgate close indicate there might be a faulty connection?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Rich

ETA: Found a thread with a possible related TSB on Camera Jitter:

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/issues-with-factory-backup-camera.80575/

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 2500 with this issue. I’m at 48k so am out of warranty.

Last November, backing in to a place, my tailgate camera went crazy, wiggly lines only, no picture. After a stop, start, it worked normally.

A few weeks ago, the same thing happened.

Yesterday, trying to connect up my travel trailer, I got a green screen. I checked to see if the bed camera was bad, but it was ok.

For whatever reason, I lowered then raised the tailgate. Apparently it jostled something, as it worked. I was able to use it to hitch up normally.

I had the same problem with my 16 but it seems to have corrected itself a few months back. I got the green screen sometimes and the wiggly lines like an old tv that had a channel the was scrambled. A couple times I was able to open and close the tailgate to get it to work, so I think it has to do with a connection.

jinxface

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2012 and my problem started with the wiggly lines and looked like the old tv's horizontal problems. then went completely black. I tried all the connections in the tailgate and under the truck but nothing . My friend told me that it's probably video. I'd like to find out if I can just buy the camera.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
snap pictures with your phone
So the stealer INCASE it doesn't do it when you are there
Pictures are worth millions

EtzelGomez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Happened to my 11 today. Been through ice storms, rain storms, snow storms, -15 degree weather, car washes ect. and has always worked just fine after. Hopefully it will have fixed itself by the time I'm off work

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had this problem on my 17. It wigged out several times, until the last time it wouldn’t stop. Trucks till under warranty but as far as I can remember they replaced the camera and the wiring harness from the camera to where it plugs into the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk