OEM side step improvement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJK440

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, new member here. I have a 2014 Quad Cab and went shopping for side steps for the truck. I found a screaming deal on a pair of new chrome Mopar steps but for 09-12 trucks. I grabbed them anyway. From what I understand, the early design used 2 bolts on the inside of the rocker box w/nutserts and was not durable enough. So in '13 Dodge punched 2 holes per bracket in the rocker pinch weld (mine has these) and redid the bracket so it mounts in the old location, plus 2 more at the pinchweld.

Of course the steps I bought use only the two bolts so I think I can still use them on my truck but they will flex like the early trucks. Upgrading to the new style bracket is an option but at $60/ea on ebay I might as well just bought the correct steps for full price.

Has anybody modified the brackets on the old style steps to make them more ridged?