OEM vs. SuperNova V.2 LED 9006 fogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm upgrading some lighting right now and snatched up a set of LED foglight bulbs from a fellow member (thanks adubree) and decided to do a little comparison. As I'm not quite sure if this brand of replacement LED bulb has been done yet I figured I'd inform all of you all on first impressions and the like. So here we go.

First off specs on my truck: 2014 1500 Express QCLB, 4x4, 5.7 HEMI, with Bils set at 2.8 and set of TGC 3/4" spacers in the rear. I trust that's sufficient info for you all. This comparison was done on the flattest ground I could find, my driveway. With as long as our trucks are, I backed mine up as far from the garage door as I could without coming off the driveway pad so I could remain as level as possible:

IMG_3915_zpsycm7qqd6.jpg

As you can see in the photo, I measured the distance and it came to right at 23 feet, shorter than I'd like but the best I could find on short notice. The truck was in this static position at all times during the swap.

This initial shot was at around 2020 EST (SC), there's still a lot of light out but this is just to show how gross the yellow pee colored tint the OEM bulb puts out. OEM straight on pic:

IMG_3919_zpsyebg5wzh.jpg

The following pics were taken at or around 2130 EST, fully dark here in SC.

The OEM cutoff at this distance measured about 18-20" off the ground on my garage door. The light shows up whiteish but it's dingy yellow:

IMG_3921_zpsf1lg52f0.jpg

Next an overlap with the SuperNova on the drivers side and OEM on the passenger side:

IMG_3923_zpstlwxxevq.jpg

As you can see, there is a distinct color difference, it's brighter on the drivers side, a bit more throw laterally and vertically. However, on the vertical, the cutoff isn't as crisp.

Next the full install on both sides:

IMG_3924_zpsckny75eu.jpg

Combined now, the LEDs appear significantly brighter, lateral throw was increased, cutoff came in higher at around 24-26" after some adjustments. Initially with no adjustment it was closer to 34-36." I adjusted to 24-26" in order to mirror the OEM cutoff at the brightest portion of the beam pattern, which came in at or around 16-18," at 23 feet.

The head on shot:

IMG_3926_zpsqer7hhii.jpg

Doesn't that look pretty.

To simulate the OEM beam pattern and cutoff, the LEDs had to be clocked at a 45* angle. This is the drivers side and the passenger mirrors it. / \ like that.

IMG_3929_zpsez7urcnx.jpg

Once installed, I found that there was a little wiggle in the bulbs. So I took the rubber gasket off the OEM bulbs and used it in conjunction with the LEDs gasket and that eliminated nearly all the wiggle, however, the bulb tabs on the LED are smaller than OEM and may be prone to rotation so I'm gonna throw a lil dab of silicone on them for a little extra insurance. The only thing left after that is to zip tie the wiring up and out of the way and take a drive.

Initial impressions:
I like them. They are significantly brighter, have better lateral throw, the white light color looks better than OEM and appears to illuminate the surroundings much better and clearer, they are aesthetically pleasing looking at them from the front. My only gripe is the small tabs on the bulbs and not really "locking" into the socket solidly.

I will have night driving and usage pics up this evening or tomorrow morning. Feel free to comment or PM me any questions you have.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Very nice write up. Did you have to do something special to get them clocked at 45 degrees or is that where they ended up when they click into the locked position

OP
OP
GIJoe2010

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tabs on the LEDs were all uniform in size and shape. All I had to do was rotate the LED clockwise, align tabs with slots in socket, reinsert and twist. I found that clocking them at the angle shown above simulates the OEM pattern best.

OEM tabs vs SuperNova V.2s

IMG_3930_zpszs2gnv0z.jpg

OP
OP
GIJoe2010

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to remedy my rotation issues without the use of silicone by zip tying the wires in a clockwise pattern. When you lock the bulbs in you turn them clockwise, so to keep the LEDs "pointed" in the right direction I wrapped the excess wiring up and around the bulbs using light tension to keep them from rotating and zip tying it all up to stay in place. I'll post pics of drivers and passenger side up soon.

OP
OP
GIJoe2010

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the passenger side:

IMG_3931_zpsadtvvuu1.jpg

As you can see the pigtail coming off the bulb is routed to the left and up in clockwise fashion, using very light tension to keep the bulb from rotating counter clockwise and out. Then I just snugged up everything up and out of the way but easy enough to access for maintenance and inspection. None of the wiring is stretched, stressed or pulled in a way that would cause any undue, unnecessary or premature wear or damage.

Drivers side coming shortly.

Last edited:

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I didn't realize you could run fogs without the headlights on.

OP
OP
GIJoe2010

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Edit: DOUBLE POST.

Ignore and delete this please mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GIJoe2010

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the drivers side:

IMG_3935_zpshptwzg8g.jpg

As you can see, the pig tail is taken to the left and up.

IMG_3937_zpsx1yzssss.jpg

And over the top of fog lamp retaining housing, then zip ******* nice and out of the way. Again, there is light tension on the rear of the bulb maintaining the clockwise turn with no issue backing out in a counterclockwise fashion. I will recheck it often to see if there are any issues with vibration and knocking it loose or any stress or stretching of the wiring.

Again, if there are any further questions or comments let me know. And I will be doing some night driving with pics of static throw (lateral and forward) and overall impressions of it's intended usage (at night duh) forthcoming.

More to come.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
awesome install but you need to clock those leds properly, they should he straight up and down. I had the exact same bulbs its tough but can be done. would post a pic put bulba are toast and gone after 4 months they burnt out unfortunately. I had that set up in my factory projectors and fogs

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GIJoe2010

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll try it out as such and then re-install with the "blade" of the bulb vertical and see how that works. I should have tried this way as well, but I was pressed for time and it appeared I had simulated the OEM throw pattern at the time.

OP
OP
GIJoe2010

GIJoe2010

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, they are. As you can see on the pics, the heat sinks are the braided metal wings and not fans so there is no RF/EM issues with my radio.