Oh No, crunch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can tell you stories about how dirty the backup camera was and couldn't see anything or whine about the rear park assist not going off but in the end, it was me not paying attention and boom, backed right into my goose neck dump trailer.

I ordered a new, painted tail gate. Should be here late next week. Any suggestions on how to get the tailgate to open? The handle doesn't do anything.

Please, no wise-guys :), I'm feeling bad enough as it is :(

tYHSmSK.jpg

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like you can possibly pop the handle out by the looks of the gap between it then you can manually pull the latch from inside the gate, or go from the back and again manually pull the latch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pull the access panel off from the inside. You can get to all the linkage to the latches.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ouch. Sorry to hear that! Where did you order a new painted tailgate from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BossHogg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can you get the bed cover off enough to get inside the bed of the truck?

I don't know yet, I'll give it better look tomorrow. I need to find out where the wiring harness is routed so I don't damage it, if I can determine that, I'll take the plasma cutter and make a hand hole so I can gain access to the release.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that! Where did you order a new painted tailgate from?

On flea bay, they are out of Grand Rapids not all that far from me. They offer the Mopar OEM and this one;

NEW Painted To Match Rear Tailgate for 2010-2017 RAM Pickup Truck 1500 2500 3500 | eBay

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn man that sucks I'm sorry. As mentioned, can you get the cover off? Then you can pull the access panel on the back side and open the gate that way

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know yet, I'll give it better look tomorrow. I need to find out where the wiring harness is routed so I don't damage it, if I can determine that, I'll take the plasma cutter and make a hand hole so I can gain access to the release.

On flea bay, they are out of Grand Rapids not all that far from me. They offer the Mopar OEM and this one;

NEW Painted To Match Rear Tailgate for 2010-2017 RAM Pickup Truck 1500 2500 3500 | eBay

Thanks for the info! I was just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BossHogg

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
pop the bed cover off, it's trashed anyways. You'll then be able to take the cover off the inside of the tailgate to get to the releases.

The bed cover is undamaged :) but the impact pushed the cover forward enough to get the cover open. Then as you suggested, and thank you for the suggestion, I popped the tailgate top cover and low and behold, there were the access holes for both latches.

Tailgate is off the truck and I removed all the hardware. Waiting on the replacement and my little goof-up will be history.