One Quick Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXPudge1868

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Howdy,

I'll be replacing the POS OEM Goodyears for either some BFG KO2's, Duratracs, Toyo AT II's or possibly the RT's as well. For wheels, I'm most likely going to go with the Method Standards in a 17x9 -12 offset since it'll give me the perfect stance and wannabe pre-runner look I want.

So my question is, will a certain tire's tread depth increase/decrease the tire's life with everything else (load size, speed rating, etc.) held the same? The BFG's are 15/32, AT II's at 17.4/32, RT's at 18.9/32, and the Duratracs are 18/32. The size I'll be choosing will either be LT315/70R17 or 35x12.5R17 since some options only come in either or.

I know that all of these tires are dependable and will outlast almost all MT's, but I was curious and couldn't find much info on whether more tread depth on a tire could increase it's life.

Also, if y'all have any reviews, positive or negative on any of those tires, I'd appreciate any feedback as well.

Thanks,
Tanner

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tire compound will make the difference. In theory yes more tread means more mileage. The compound can make a thick tire last 60k miles or 20k miles. There are a few A/T's that come with mileage warrantys such as Nitto

kooler1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The toyo rt are awesome tires. Spent lots of time in the dirt with rocks in the river beds. They have a mileage warranty. I’ll be buying a spare set for the streets for my truck and they will be the toyo rt. Don’t know bout the rest of the ones you listed. Just know bout the rt.

2012 ram 2500 4x4. 3” lift. 37x13.5x17 toyo mt. Smitty built grill, kenwood radio, bullet liner.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like the BFG KO2's. I have almost 27K on them and they are wearing well and very evenly.

I previously ran Toyo AT II's and like them as well. Based on what I am seeing, the KO2's will last almost as long at the Toyos even though they are a bit softer rubber. They tread depth is a bit taller on the BFGs.