Opinion sought... Chrome or tinted hood deflector...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went clear an color matched. If you get a semi gloss matched paint and paint the rear of the clear shield it will give a gloss matching look. On my black crystal you cannot tell it is on there in a with overcast skies until you walk up on it. On clear days it blends pretty good.

16laramie4wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hood deflector makes you lose 1 mpg on the highway did the same when I bought mine

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Is that true? Put mine on a week after i got it....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
are there any other recommended upgrades you guys recommend? [/QUOTE said:
Git rid of that giant antenna, many options but being a gun guy....

bullet antenna.JPG

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Do the bug deflectors even work?

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Do the bug deflectors even work?

I'm wondering that as well, first time truck owner and am amazed at the collection of bugs that I collect on a daily basis.

Not sure I like the look of the deflectors but if they actually work I may have to put one on.

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm stuck trying to figure out the same stuff about this bug deflector situation.

I have a 2017 laramie in delmonico red pearl

I guess the first question.... do these things even work?! i read such mixed reviews...

i don't *want* one unless it actually works...

OP
OP
Z

Zoodles95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.7
Thanks for all the feedback gang. My co-worker sold his nearly new Eco Diesel Laramie so I got a crazy deal on his chrome Mopar bug deflector and mud flaps.

I guess I will try the chrome for now. Worst case scenario I paint the thing black or in the color of the truck.

It seems there is some disdain here for the Mopar mudflaps. I got the stuff so cheap that it will not be the end of the world if the mudflaps are crap and I have to switch them out next year for Weathertech or Husky.

As for the rationale of the bug deflector it is more to try to protect the hood a bit. On my HHR the bug deflector caught all sorts of stuff that it kept off the hood. Different vehicle of course.

What about the window deflectors? Do they do anything? Reduce buffeting?

That is another topic of discussion. In channel window deflectors etc.

Xoted

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was another thread on window deflectors. Great reviews for the weathertech in channel ones, so I just order them off amazon for $80 last night.

The mopar mud guards were criticized because they rubbed the paint off the truck and required drilling a hole to install.

OP
OP
Z

Zoodles95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 5.7
There was another thread on window deflectors. Great reviews for the weathertech in channel ones, so I just order them off amazon for $80 last night.

The mopar mud guards were criticized because they rubbed the paint off the truck and required drilling a hole to install.

Thanks...

I ended up finding that thread on the window deflectors. I think I will try out a full set of the in channel Weathertech ones. Seems to make for a cool look and some added functionality.

I picked up the Mopar bug deflector and Mopar mud flaps today. They seem pretty hefty and remind me of the ones I used to use on my trailer when I drove tractor trailer. They are already drilled so all good to install. The paint issue is concerning though.

I was going to hold off on mud flaps until late fall. I was hoping to keep some of the salt and stuff from getting onto the fenders and doors.