OPT7 tail gate lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I just installed the OPT7 bar last week.

I removed the plastic grommet around the tire access hole and installed the light bar so the bottom edge is on top of the spare access hole.

The light bar is still perfectly visible from the rear, it's just when you are up close looking down that the LEDs aren't directly visible.

The kit comes with clips if you want to drill and mount the clips. This makes the light bar easy to remove and you can mount it lower than I did. Perfectly happy with the location I used though.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I removed the plastic grommet around the tire access hole and installed the light bar so the bottom edge is on top of the spare access hole.

The light bar is still perfectly visible from the rear, it's just when you are up close looking down that the LEDs aren't directly visible.

The kit comes with clips if you want to drill and mount the clips. This makes the light bar easy to remove and you can mount it lower than I did. Perfectly happy with the location I used though.
Do you still have access to lower the tire without removing the bar?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Do you still have access to lower the tire without removing the bar?

Yes the light bar does not cover any part of the spare tire access opening. I can post pics later but it's pouring down raining right now.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Really want one of these, but not having access to the Spare tire port seems it could be an issue. I've only ever had to swap on a spare once, so its a very rare occurrence. But I'd hate to have to rip off these lights to get the spare off.

Any lights out there that clear that access port?

I dont think you understand. the bar has brackets that clip onto it. The brackets are designed with a hole for a screw to screw the mounts into the bed. You dont have to screw it on... I have used the 3M tape to hold it to the truck very strongly. The bar will simply unclip from the clip mounts allowing full access to the spare tire. Then you can clip it back in when done. You can also permanently mount it or drill holes and do the strongest mount with the screws if you can prevent rust.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque

I think you might have an issue. WHen I mounted mine up that high the first time when the tailgate was fully opened it hit the bar and ripped it off the tape. You need to verify the tailgate doesnt hit and I can't image it wouldn't as thats why I had to lower mine to clear.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I think you might have an issue. WHen I mounted mine up that high the first time when the tailgate was fully opened it hit the bar and ripped it off the tape. You need to verify the tailgate doesnt hit and I can't image it wouldn't as thats why I had to lower mine to clear.
Uh oh...... crap, I need to check that clearance. Thanks for posting this as I haven't opened my tailgate since installing. Hopefully this will save me any headaches.

I'll report back....

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Uh oh...... crap, I need to check that clearance. Thanks for posting this as I haven't opened my tailgate since installing. Hopefully this will save me any headaches.

I'll report back....

Haha yup! I can guarantee that your going to contact if yours is any higher than mine is. Mine barely almost rubs when opened. I would open it very slowly and watch from the inside of the bed area as you wont be able to see under the tailgate when almost fully open. the tailgate moves down and then inward considerably during full opening. I was so shocked that it contacted the bar when it was centered between the bumper and bottom of the tailgate. I then had to line the bottom of the bar with the top of the bumper and it barely clears.

I just installed another one on my neighbors 3500 and I was sure to mount it this way as well. But he might have alittle more room being a 3500. The tailor plug was also on the other side of the license plate.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Haha yup! I can guarantee that your going to contact if yours is any higher than mine is. Mine barely almost rubs when opened. I would open it very slowly and watch from the inside of the bed area as you wont be able to see under the tailgate when almost fully open. the tailgate moves down and then inward considerably during full opening. I was so shocked that it contacted the bar when it was centered between the bumper and bottom of the tailgate. I then had to line the bottom of the bar with the top of the bumper and it barely clears.

I just installed another one on my neighbors 3500 and I was sure to mount it this way as well. But he might have alittle more room being a 3500. The tailor plug was also on the other side of the license plate.

Ok....short version, no clearance issues. BUT I failed to read your first post to see that you have the new version of the bar that takes up more space.

I'll post notes here in case anyone is looking for an alternative solution. The bar I ordered is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z8TGR4G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used a slightly different CURT adapter that gives you a 5-way flat behind the bumper to tap into for reverse....just one more option that works on our trucks:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EA6WQU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This combination can be installed and maintain access to spare tire as shown with no clearance issues with tailgate opening. As stated earlier, the plastic grommet for the spare tire access pops right out and can be saved for later use:

S1fdjdc.jpg

tSEN96W.jpg

This company makes good quality products and I'm happy with the light output and functionality.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Ah yes... that makes sense now lol. The bar I used is like 3 times as tall and prob thicker as well. The bar I used also uses full length LEDs (no spaces between) and has built in sequential turn signals.

That 5 pin harness is nice but wont work with the OPT7 bar I have as it comes with a 4 pin pre installed and a separate reverse wire. I wouldn't cut into the OPT7 wiring as its fully sealed and uses very thin wiring.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Ah yes... that makes sense now lol. The bar I used is like 3 times as tall and prob thicker as well. The bar I used also uses full length LEDs (no spaces between) and has built in sequential turn signals.

That 5 pin harness is nice but wont work with the OPT7 bar I have as it comes with a 4 pin pre installed and a separate reverse wire. I wouldn't cut into the OPT7 wiring as its fully sealed and uses very thin wiring.

I love the look of the new one, probably would've gone that route had I seen it.

The OPT7 bar I posted/installed also comes with 4 pin preinstalled and separate reverse wire. All you do is plug the 4 pin into the 5 pin and the remaining pin on the end of the 5 pin gets the reverse wire from the bar.

Agree, the wiring is crazy thin, may be the only negative comment I have about their products. :favorites13:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I love the look of the new one, probably would've gone that route had I seen it.

The OPT7 bar I posted/installed also comes with 4 pin preinstalled and separate reverse wire. All you do is plug the 4 pin into the 5 pin and the remaining pin on the end of the 5 pin gets the reverse wire from the bar.

Agree, the wiring is crazy thin, may be the only negative comment I have about their products. :favorites13:
Yea i bought their normal led tailgate bar without the sequential blinkers about 4 months ago. It was only $60 on Amazon and its lasted through 2 trucks now and snow and salt. Seems to be holding up pretty well and knock on wood but all of the led's still seem to be working properly. All the stuff ive ordered from Opt-7 has been really good quality.

I do agree about the thin wiring but so far it hasnt been an issue, atleast for me it hasnt.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yea i bought their normal led tailgate bar without the sequential blinkers about 4 months ago. It was only $60 on Amazon and its lasted through 2 trucks now and snow and salt. Seems to be holding up pretty well and knock on wood but all of the led's still seem to be working properly. All the stuff ive ordered from Opt-7 has been really good quality.

I do agree about the thin wiring but so far it hasnt been an issue, atleast for me it hasnt.

You can thank the minimal power requirements of LED technology for the very thin wires. I feel soldering is the best way to make connections when the wire is that delicate.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
wow...that looks really nice. never been much of a fan, but I like that one.

Malibuz0r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That tailgate bar is exactly what I'm looking for, I hate the spaces between the leds on other bars. Only thing that's putting me off is that the sequential signals aren't red. I'm on the fence of ordering one though...

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That tailgate bar is exactly what I'm looking for, I hate the spaces between the leds on other bars. Only thing that's putting me off is that the sequential signals aren't red. I'm on the fence of ordering one though...
I had the regular one for $60 and it looks awesome on my truck.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The boards are usually very simple if you wanted to change the sequential to red (and void the warranty).

hbfieldii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Looks great! I'm really wanting to do this soon to my ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like everything about it except 2 things. First The delay seems a bit much, almost to the point of rendering it ineffective as a warning device or a 4th brake light and secondly, the yellow sequential lights. I'm more of a fan of the solid red lights for signals. Still, I like this bar.

OP
OP
blackbetty14

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
For those of you who have expressed the red blinker vs the yellow. I would agree it would have been nicer but you have to look at it from a different point of view. It would be very easy for OPT7 to make that change but you have to remember that alot of vehicles don't use red blinkers still. Alot are still using amber or yellow and thats why they make it this way. The way I see it is that we are lucky that we have gotten this and to expect them to make a small change to a smaller market is prob not going to happen.

Either you deal with the yellow, hope for a red or dont get one at all lol. I will rock the yellow until and if they do make one with red turn signals.