P rated vs LT rated tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its simple for me, I bought the truck to use as a truck and the tires that come on them aren't much more then car tires.
IMO if your just using it for transportation the p rated tires are perfectly fine but if your going to haul alot and tow I would step up to the LT tires.

OP
OP
A

alpnst

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Spoert
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory uses P-rated tires because they meet their specifications and are cheaper that LT tires. They also only use P-rated tires on specific models which statistically marketwise are less likely to see heavy towing/hauling or off-road use without modification.

If someone is looking at a rig for towing, hauling (working) you aren't typically looking at the models that come on shiny 20" wheels to begin with. You might even pass on the entire 1500 line which renders the whole P-metric vs LT tire argument moot.

This makes sense that most people are not going to use their truck like a truck. I am already regretting the 1500 purchase. Even though I am rated for 10,000 lbs. tow capacity take away the GVW of 6,900 lbs. from the GCVW rating and I can actully only pull 8,500lbs. That is assuming I can keep the tongue weight down. It works for the boat, but wife wants a travel trailer and I am afraid we need a 2500 for that.

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go one size up from factory on the 20 inch rims, to 275/65R20, LT tires are about all you can find.

I went that route because I want a truck to ride a little more like a truck, and the extra plies are nice to have for towing and puncture resistance, as smiley said above. Only real downside (unless you want a softer ride) is the extra weight of the LT tires, which equates to lower MPGs, especially at highway speed.
X2, my exact sentiments/situation as well. Lost a little mpg, rides a bit stiffer now, don't regret it one bit. Much more planted/responsive feeling with a load vs the p tires that were on it. Plus, p/LT debate aside, these a/t3's kick the crap outta the Goodyear POS's from the factory for traction on just about everything.(and I know we're not talking just factory p rated tires, just throwing that in).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45