paint matched my mirrors (with vinyl)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I saw a few threads about paint matching mirrors etc, I daily drive my truck and lots of highway driving so I took that into consideration. I figured the paint would get chipped over time from rocks etc, so I bought some 1080 3m gloss black vinyl. I took my mirrors apart and wrapped the outer part of them that gets painted. I think it came out pretty good. If you have a basic color truck like white or black it will work easily, not sure about other colors though.

before (pass side)
RAjMMNs.jpg

after (driver side)
p7kDtw1.jpg

final both sides

WBO1pzl.jpg

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks good.. I'm going to wrap mine with the leftovers from my bumper and grill (when I get around to it).

Maybe a closer pic would help.

IMO

OP
OP
J

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I'll take a closer one. I left the mirror textured so up close you can still see the texture. I would sand them down and wet sand them smooth, but if I ever wanted to remove the vinyl I'd be boned.

Basham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 &2015
Engine
4.7 & 3.6
Sanded painted mirrors loved it so much I sanded my chrome grill surround color matched it whit and then painted the insert green looks good on my big girl.

Attachments

• IMG_20160211_150050426.jpg
    IMG_20160211_150050426.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20160224_131209831_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160224_131209831_HDR.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 123
OP
OP
J

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would it look if you doubled the layers of vinyl? Would that smooth it out?

IMO

I was thinking that too, it's quite possible but idk. The vinyl I used was pretty thin I would say 50/50 chance that it would be smoother. From 10 ft away you can't really tell its textured and once your up close it looks like it's painted with a texture to it.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Nice, how do you take the mirror apart?

timmmithy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so I saw a few threads about paint matching mirrors etc, I daily drive my truck and lots of highway driving so I took that into consideration. I figured the paint would get chipped over time from rocks etc, so I bought some 1080 3m gloss black vinyl. I took my mirrors apart and wrapped the outer part of them that gets painted. I think it came out pretty good. If you have a basic color truck like white or black it will work easily, not sure about other colors though.

before (pass side)
RAjMMNs.jpg

after (driver side)
p7kDtw1.jpg

final both sides

WBO1pzl.jpg
Do you have a how to for the wrap? Been doing some research and I've seen a few different methods but they were for a different mirror style. I would love to see how a ram owner did it.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JExpress14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a how to for the wrap? Been doing some research and I've seen a few different methods but they were for a different mirror style. I would love to see how a ram owner did it.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I would explain how I did it myself but I just found this video that saves me the time of explaining it lol. Only thing is I took the mirror cap portion off of the truck. There was a thread about how to remove the mirror glass somewhere. It's not too hard you basically put the mirror to full down position and then I used a long flathead screwdriver and you will see two sort of retaining type pressure clips and I pushed it while holding the mirror still and slightly pulling outwards. Once you pop the two clips off you then reverse and raise the mirror all the way up and you can jimmy the lower position clips lose then three t20 screws and you can separate all the mirror parts but the guts

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of doing a black carbon fiber vinyl wrap on my mirrors, possibly other exterior places.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I was thinking of doing a black carbon fiber vinyl wrap on my mirrors, possibly other exterior places.

There was another post in which we all decided that it is all our of responsibilities to not let our Ram buddies rice their truck. Just like we would never let you drive drunk.

You are a representation for the group as a whole, remember your responsibility....

Ram owners dont let other Ram owners rice.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There was another post in which we all decided that it is all our of responsibilities to not let our Ram buddies rice their truck. Just like we would never let you drive drunk.

You are a representation for the group as a whole, remember your responsibility....

Ram owners dont let other Ram owners rice.

I tried helping some other members out, same concept, but yellow fog lights.

IMO