Paint polishing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scowling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just bought a new 2013 1500 5 weeks ago, it is the true blue pearl. I was wondering would it look better if I got the body professionally polished or just is it a waste of money? I did get the paint protection added when I bought the truck. The reason I ask is when I debadged the truck I somehow scratched the door panel removing the left over 3m tape. I ended up finishing up the next morning when it was -6C (21F). I know it's over kill to polish everything just because of one little area, but I though if it would make the paint look deeper richer than it is worth it. Thanks.

By the way, i found it best to debadge when it was cooler out +2C - -6C (36F-21F)

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a pretty subjective question, like engine mods.
If you find a good detailer you trust, show them the problem area and discuss what you expect as a result, the paint should appear deeper and would certainly have better protection. The crap a stealership applies is largely fillers, made to look good for a short while.
If you don't have any major defects, a Porter Cable 7424 polisher, some pads, polish, wax and some reading on detailing forums would quickly pay for themselves in saved detailing fees to a professional.

I detail our vehicles for "me time" as I find it really therapeutic, and VERY rewarding. Our trucks have large, flat panels making it easy to do with minimal tools. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
S

scowling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i agree, it is theraputic. I used to detail and do things like this for fun and side money, now working 3 jobs i just don't have time. There is a couple repatable detailers in Edmachuck, so I was just going to drop it off and have them do the whole thing. Curious to know what the differance would be by having an actual detailer poslish compaired to me doing it at 5am before work lol.

audio1der i do appreciate your feed back.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lot of the extras the dealer sells is a gimmick...
Go out get some stuff by turtlr wax named ice..buy a *** of micro fibre rags and a case of beer..have at it....
I bought my 2010 ram last june and it was sweet lookin then but i just used a cheap electric buffer and went nuts with meguires 3 step pre cleaner an wax an so on..Once i did it i couldnt believe the diff..Now i just do as i said above,ice on my truck and in my beer cooler..

OP
OP
S

scowling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thanks craigsez, I know the add ons from the dealership is just a gimmick. All i paid for was the undercoating, took it in and they did the rust proofing,paint protection, leather protection etc. Doesn't mean much, except its on a piece of paper that says it was done, in case there is an issue down the road.

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Harbor freight sells a nice multi speed buffer for about $40 and it comes with a decent pad. Then get about any compound from Walmart and just go slow. If its a deep scratch wet sand with 2000 grit first

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Please GOD don't use a buffer!!! Use a random orbital or D/A. Porter Cable makes one of the better ones out there. My hobby is detailing and I correct the paint. I take it to a whole other level. My product maker of choice is Adams Polishes, but there are many good ones out there. You get what you pay for, don't let anyone tell you different.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've painted, cut and polished many cars and even did the same to hundreds of airplanes and used a buffer on all of them. That being said every guy has his own preferred processes. A buffer with a foam pad and mild compound on a slow speed will work fine. Next time just use some string to take your emblems off and a plastic puddy knife and some laqour thinner to take the glue off. If you don't have laqour thinner gasoline will work too

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I've painted, cut and polished many cars and even did the same to hundreds of airplanes and used a buffer on all of them. That being said every guy has his own preferred processes. A buffer with a foam pad and mild compound on a slow speed will work fine. Next time just use some string to take your emblems off and a plastic puddy knife and some laqour thinner to take the glue off. If you don't have laqour thinner gasoline will work too

Depends on the end result you're looking for. Some professionals can correct paint with a rotary but they're few and far between! Most do a hack job which results in psychedelic holograms that they try to cover up with fillers.

Sent from my miniaturizer via tap dancing...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ or they burn the crap out of the edges because they go to fast.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I plan to claybar mine, then have my buddy buff it. Then a good wax job.