Paint Protection (Surface Science)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all!

I have a quick question about paint protection and if it is worth the investment. At the truck dealer where I purchased my truck, they offer paint protection (PPS) with interior protection (carpet and leather), for $800.

They market it as you will never have to wax your truck again because it will be a constant shine. Also, they said it will help protect your truck against scratches and dings (since it is like a thicker clear coat on top of the clear coat of your truck).

I did some research online and I see mixed reviews. I even read up on their website and watched the YouTube video of it.

The detailing guy pulled me to the side and told me he would do it "off record" for me for only $200, but I would not get the 5 year warranty with it.

I am reaching out to the community for some experience about this product. Is this just a gimmick to get extra money, or is it really worth it? Has anyone else gotten this or something similar?

Thanks!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have not heard of that product, which doesn't make it bad or good, just not one that I recognize. My advise would be to go to the autopia web site and do some research on Ceramic Coatings and you can also go to autogeek and do some research there. Those are the web site that professional detailers go to to discuss products and talk about their successes and failures with products. A couple hundred bucks is awful cheap for a quality Ceramic Coating. Have you seen any of this guy's work? Does he know what he's doing? I think I'd be a little cautious. Coatings are becoming more popular and will save you a lot of work maintenance wise, however they are not maintenance free. Usually if there offered by a dealership IMHO it's a money grab.
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not heard of that product, which doesn't make it bad or good, just not one that I recognize. My advise would be to go to the autopia web site and do some research on Ceramic Coatings and you can also go to autogeek and do some research there. Those are the web site that professional detailers go to to discuss products and talk about their successes and failures with products. A couple hundred bucks is awful cheap for a quality Ceramic Coating. Have you seen any of this guy's work? Does he know what he's doing? I think I'd be a little cautious. Coatings are becoming more popular and will save you a lot of work maintenance wise, however they are not maintenance free. Usually if there offered by a dealership IMHO it's a money grab.
Jay

Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the sites you posted.

The detail guy works for the dealership and does all the paint protection there. He was just going to do it off the record and only charge me $200 vs paying the dealer $800 for him to apply it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have any professional detail shops in your area, you might talk to them about the product and ask them for recommendations. I think you will find their prices much higher but at least they use quality products and know what they are doing. There is a lot of prep work that needs to be done before a coating is applied and then the application itself is sometimes tricky. Good coatings(just the product itself) can run over a $100 for very little product. I think that your research will be your friend in this situation. If your guy screws it up I will guarantee it's a ***** to get off and re-do.
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have any professional detail shops in your area, you might talk to them about the product and ask them for recommendations. I think you will find their prices much higher but at least they use quality products and know what they are doing. There is a lot of prep work that needs to be done before a coating is applied and then the application itself is sometime tricky. Good coatings(just the product itself) can run over a $100 for very little product. I think that your research will be your friend in this situation. If your guy screws it up I will guarantee it's a ***** to get off and re-due.

Jay

Thank you very much for your insight on this. I will research it and also call some professional detail shops for their recommendations!

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its not going to protect against scratches and dents unless it has some new force field technology. I would research some detail shops in your area and go with a more known brand of coating.
I would get Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating and find someone to do the prep and apply it if you don't have the detailing equipment to do it yourself.

OP
OP
Curlyp

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its not going to protect against scratches and dents unless it has some new force field technology. I would research some detail shops in your area and go with a more known brand of coating.
I would get Optimum Gloss-Coat Paint Coating and find someone to do the prep and apply it if you don't have the detailing equipment to do it yourself.

Thanks for the information Forcepro!

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information Forcepro!

No problem, if you have any questions after talking to some of your local people, ask away. There are a few of us here in the detailing business, either professionally or hobbyist.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn