Paint on Tailgate is chipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m.truitt527

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I guess this is the appropriate place to ask this.

I damaged the paint on the inside of the tailgate while helping my brother move a few weeks ago, What can I do to repair it so it doesn't rust? They don't look very deep and are unnoticeable unless looking for them.

Thanks!

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hey everyone, I guess this is the appropriate place to ask this.

I damaged the paint on the inside of the tailgate while helping my brother move a few weeks ago, What can I do to repair it so it doesn't rust? They don't look very deep and are unnoticeable unless looking for them.

Thanks!

Pics would help, but usually some vin number matching touch up paint, ultimate compound, followed by ultimate polish should do the trick.

Coop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can't notice them unless looking for them, it doesn't sound like you're down to metal. You can touch up, but it's the tailgate... it's gonna get beat up a bit. I'd recommend Line-X to anyone worried about damage to the bed or tailgate.

The bed in my 06 was scratched all to hell from hauling stuff. Never had a rust issue in the bed or tailgate.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the inside of the tailgate, simply use touch-up paint. Then, buy a tailgate protector (Mopar), or get a complete liner (LineX or BedRug).

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Or.. Use touch up paint and do the bedlining yourself. If you only want to bedline the tailgate, you could do that very easily. Few coats of primer, and Rustoleum Truck Bed-Coating. You could do the whole bed too