Paintless Dent Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So i have a couple of dents in the truck I would like to get fixed so I got a quote today. The guy seemed a little high to me was wondering what people thought. I have one on the passenger door about 2inches long from a shopping cart. He quoted me about $200 for that one.

I have two small ones on the driver side of the truck bed one maybe 2inches and another around 3inches. He said around $300 for those two plus $30 to take the plastic bed cap off to gain access. He did say he would do all three (including the passenger door) for around $400-450.

Now for the big one, I have a dent just above the back window on the passenger side to the right of the break light. It is in a bad spot, I had one guy tell me that he didn't want to touch it because that area has been repainted and that repaint isn't as flexible as factory paint. Anyways, this guy said he could do it but told me around $800+ because of the labor involved in dropping the headliner. So i asked how much if I dropped the headliner still $400.

Do these prices sound right or is he way to high?

Firefighter2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can never go wrong with a hair dryer/heat gun and a can of keyboard cleaner, might take out some of them

If you want to get them done by a pro then that sounds about right, maybe a little high. They're not really cutting you any deals

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can never go wrong with a hair dryer/heat gun and a can of keyboard cleaner, might take out some of them

If you want to get them done by a pro then that sounds about right, maybe a little high. They're not really cutting you any deals

I've never heard of that technique, are you basically flash cooling the metal causing it to shrink back into place?

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man that's a lot more expensive than I was hoping. I have a few dime/quarter sized dings on my truck that I'd like to get fixed. I was going to look into this myself, but I can live with them if we're talking hundreds of dollars to repair. I'd like to hear more about this heat gun and compressed air (I'm assuming that's what keyboard cleaner is) method.

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Man that's a lot more expensive than I was hoping. I have a few dime/quarter sized dings on my truck that I'd like to get fixed. I was going to look into this myself, but I can live with them if we're talking hundreds of dollars to repair. I'd like to hear more about this heat gun and compressed air (I'm assuming that's what keyboard cleaner is) method.

Yours might be a bit cheaper, since they are smaller. I was a little surprised at the price. Since it only cost me $1,200 to get the bed and part of the cab repainted where a camper shell rubbed to bare metal.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If he is not the only one in your area, shop around. Then go to a body shop and see how much they want. The prices you quoted seem a little high to me, but I can't see the dents either.
Jay

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those prices are a little high,but not outrageous. He may be very good at it...

Don't get your hopes to high with the heat and cool technique. I tried it...it doesn't work...it's a bunch of bull. Watch, 10 guys will post now that it worked for them and turned their truck into a transformer.

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If he is not the only one in your area, shop around. Then go to a body shop and see how much they want. The prices you quoted seem a little high to me, but I can't see the dents either.
Jay

Thanks, I'm going to get a couple of other quotes.

Those prices are a little high,but not outrageous. He may be very good at it...

Don't get your hopes to high with the heat and cool technique. I tried it...it doesn't work...it's a bunch of bull. Watch, 10 guys will post now that it worked for them and turned their truck into a transformer.

He does do really good work, he has a couple of youtube videos that shows his process in one i thought there was no way he would be able to fix it, but he did. I'm going to try the hair dryer technique, what could it hurt. If it works awesome if not right where
I started.

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well tried the heat and compressed air trick, didn't work.

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
That doesn't seem that bad but like stated above he isn't cutting you any deals. I had 3 fixed on my truck. 2 very small ones and one big one about 2" long. I was able to talk him to do all 3 for $200 instead of $180 for the big one. He should start to work with you hopefully. But other guys I asked before the guy I used charge per panel so that's why it gets so expensive.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have someone coming today for 2 small ones on drivers door. Its covered under my sales agreement but I will ask how much he would have charged then ill post back..

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So he came and fixed both small dents. I asked what he would charge doing it for cash on his own time. He stated probably around $125 for both. He worked on the door for maybe half an hour or so. I must say.. Im impressed. No evidence of the door dings remain. They simply vanished.

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That's awesome, I'm glad he was able to fix it for you. I'm going to get a couple more quotes. I was thinking thats what it should cost for the door and a couple of bed dings. I figured the cab one would have been a lot.

boomer632

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He was able to get to the back side of the dents down through the window channel. I would assume that if one couldn't get to the back side of the dents it would be more work hence more expensive.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to me you need to be a little more careful with your truck. Lol

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Seems to me you need to be a little more careful with your truck. Lol

Not a single one was my fault. The door was caused by a shopping cart being blown across a parking lot when a font came through, the two on the bed came with the truck, and the one on the cab is from one of those stupid pop up canopies that got blown in to the back of the truck at an airshow. Trust me I'm plenty careful.

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So he came and fixed both small dents. I asked what he would charge doing it for cash on his own time. He stated probably around $125 for both. He worked on the door for maybe half an hour or so. I must say.. Im impressed. No evidence of the door dings remain. They simply vanished.

That sounds more reasonable, guess I'll have to get some quotes for mine

alexalex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you want to know more about PDR, you can find some YouTube videos of people using various methods of paintless dent removal, read this https://glexotools.com/. They range from pouring boiling water on the dent then bumping it, to professionals using professional quality tools. If you're interested in this, I would start there.

I've never tried it myself, but had a pro do some dents for me. The results were superb. Couldn't tell there had been a dent.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO--a good PDR person is worth his/her weight in gold, but like anything else it doesn't hurt to shop around. Usually they are a lot cheaper than a body shop.
Jay