Plasti dip question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crewzer '13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm working on blacking out my '13 Crew Cab. So far the windows are tinted, I slapped Recon tinted LEDs on the rear end, and I debadged the truck save for the Ram head on the grill and tailgate. My question is am I able to dip my badges while they are stll on the truck? I did a search here on this and I'm sure I overlooked my answer. I checked the dip forum and saw most people had removed them. One guy sprayed them on the car and he says it stained his paint. Thanks.

bmoney082

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sure you can just tape it off ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372952913.415574.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1372952940.813165.jpg

argray90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bmoney answered your question it is tedious to get it all set up but looks great when done.

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know if you did it already but you really don't even need to do the "tedious chore" of getting a real detailed masking job. If you just mask off the area but leave the body exposed directly around the badge you just spray that whole part and badge, after about 5 coats you just peel away the dip from the body and it'll peel itself around the badges. I did this for the hemi side badges, ram 1500 badges, 4x4 badge as well as my chrome door handles. The hardest was getting inside the R and A on the doors. Other than that I did everything including chrome grill over the past 2 days. I didn't do the the ram head badges simply because I like the contrast of the front one with my now black plasti dipped grill. That badge comes off then I dipped it. I will be doing a custom stripe that will go up the center of the tailgate so I left that ram head alone as well. Pm me if you'd like to see some pics.

Joe

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
i did all of my tailgate bagdes without taking them off the truck, although I did take a lot of time and taped off everthing, including all around and inside the 4x4 badge. I figured it was easier to do that and pick the tape off then to risk messing up the paint on the truck by doing it without a good tape job

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i did all of my tailgate bagdes without taking them off the truck, although I did take a lot of time and taped off everthing, including all around and inside the 4x4 badge. I figured it was easier to do that and pick the tape off then to risk messing up the paint on the truck by doing it without a good tape job

The stuff came off pretty easy for me and didn't do any damage. Peeled right around the badges and used a wooden kabob skewer to get the smaller areas around the badges off. I used a mixture of water, vinegar, and car wash soap in a spray bottle to wet the over spray and wiped it off w a rag. Much quicker than taping everything off. Is there a way to post pics from my iPhone?

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
If you use the app tapatalk to view the forum it is pretty easy to post pictures
The stuff came off pretty easy for me and didn't do any damage. Peeled right around the badges and used a wooden kabob skewer to get the smaller areas around the badges off. I used a mixture of water, vinegar, and car wash soap in a spray bottle to wet the over spray and wiped it off w a rag. Much quicker than taping everything off. Is there a way to post pics from my iPhone?

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
here's some pics of what i have done so far.

Attachments

• 4x4 black.jpg
    4x4 black.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 101
  • black door handles badges pass side.jpg
    black door handles badges pass side.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,118
  • black driver side.jpg
    black driver side.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 143
  • black grille.jpg
    black grille.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 189
  • black shift console bezel.jpg
    black shift console bezel.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 116

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you use the app tapatalk to view the forum it is pretty easy to post pictures

i'll try that out. i just put these up from the computer. next up will be the chrome step tubes, front and rear chrome bumpers and wheels.

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
i'll try that out. i just put these up from the computer. next up will be the chrome step tubes, front and rear chrome bumpers and wheels.

I'm interested in seeing how the bumpers turn out, I want to do mine but I'm not sure how the flat black plasti dip will look with the gloss black paint of the rest of the truck.. I feel like it will make it look like a tradesman which I don't really want

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm interested in seeing how the bumpers turn out, I want to do mine but I'm not sure how the flat black plasti dip will look with the gloss black paint of the rest of the truck.. I feel like it will make it look like a tradesman which I don't really want

haha i was thinking the same thing, in fact i mentioned that to my wife last night while finishing the door handles that people that have the "cheaper" models swap parts from higher end trucks and i'm doing mine the opposite (i know mine is an SLT but it came w/ some upgrades). i know what you mean though, however do it how YOU like, you may like the contrast of the gloss black and flat black. if not, you can try the clear plastidip to spray on top of the flat coats. or if you have a spray gun you can get the flat and mix the glossifier to get a shinier finish. personally i like the silver/flat black combo, i'm not a huge fan of all the chrome (as you can see from the pics), so i'm trying to go as little chrome as possible. as mentioned earlier i did leave the front and rear ram heads chrome for contrast.

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A buddy of mine has a black tundra and he blacked out all of his chrome, bumpers included and it looks really nice, I think it'll add a nice contrast. He wasn't sure of it at first either but ended up liking it. And if you do it and don't like it you can always peel it off pretty easily.

twinzx11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
here's some pics of what i have done so far.

how was it doing the door handles? I would love to paint my handles, which are chrome, the same color has my truck (inferno red) if they can make me some colored matched paint. I would love to do the bumpers the same way and a black grille.

JabregoUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They weren't too bad except it's kinda hard to get the back of them without taking them off the door. As far as colors go you'll probably want to check out dipyourcar.com. Most of the stores only carry black and camo colors. It might be tough color matching with plasti dip and unless you get their clear coat it'll be a matte finish. The grill is easy though. Comes off pretty easily. Only took me about an hour or a little more to do the grill.