Plastic tread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wetelvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Chrome is peeling in several areas on my 2012 Ram 1500 running boards and I'd like to try carbon vinyl.
Want to do it right so has anyone removed and reinstalled these plastic treads on factory running boards?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The treads where you step?
If so I would get some type of rubber coating or bed liner in a spray can and trythat first. I'm not sure how the vynal would hold up to foot traffic.

OP
OP
W

Wetelvis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The chrome is peeling and I want to remove the plastic tread to apply the vinyl then reattach plastic tread

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahh I see-
A good alternative may be to have em linexed? - Maybe color match the truck? Just my opinion. Bit I'm not sure how to remove the plastic. Hopefully some one has done it and chimes in soon-

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're referring to the the plastic piece at the top where you step when getting in and out of your truck, I have replaced one not long ago. Mine got cracked and shot up so I ordered a replacement and swapped them out.

It's a little tough to take off. I used a plastic trim tool so I didn't damage anything and it was kind of tough. I didn't work to preserve the step since I was replacing it anyway, but I tore it up when I pulled it off. I'm sure if you took your time and worked it better than me you could take all 4 of them off without damaging anything. Just take your time and work them out of the little fastener holes. Putting them back on is extremely easy. Just snap back into place. Of one gives you trouble just give it a light tap with a rubber hammer.