Plastidip explained...for the naysayers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since this has been a hot topic lately this video should give some explanation for the anti-dip crowd :naughty: or those on the fence... watch the whole video...then form your opinions.

Hopefully this stays in the exterior section since there are quite a few members who have questions about the product. :favorites13:

https://youtu.be/SqJGBr4DD-Q

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Son of a......did you watch the damm video?! Lol

It's not paint!!!! Lol

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So to sum up, Plasti-dip is a cheap shortcut alternative to painting or powder-coating. I place it a (big) step below vinyl wrapping. I'm with AB on this one.

From the YouTube video comment section "Plasti-dip is for tools and tools" - Yardie Noh :cheers:

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey for some people its not their thing. But I've used it and done a few big projects with it. Plasti Dip isn't as good as, say powercoating wheels for example but if you have the time and paintence to prep the surface (clean, alcohol pads, masking, start with light coats) you can get a nice result.

For smaller jobs it can be much more cost effective than painting or wrapping. I'm thinking about doing my hood in matte black... and possibly roof.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Da fonz. I've seen many of video's.

I don't hate plasti dip but I won't ever use on it on my grill again. lol

Other than I've have used it a lot. LOOK AT MY RIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha
20140215_135246.jpg

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
I never heard of plastidip until just recently.......I put it in the same category as any other "rattle can" finish, if you're happy with it good for you , BUT don't act like everyone should share your enthusiasm for it.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you get Chinese plastic-dip on eBay any cheaper? Because it would be good enough and I have a hard time justifying paying the premium for American plastic-dip. That would be AWESOME!! ;)

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
Can you get Chinese plastic-dip on eBay any cheaper? Because it would be good enough and I have a hard time justifying paying the premium for American plastic-dip. That would be AWESOME!! ;)

I don't know, but I've seen Flex Seal on late night TV, and the possibilities are endless (especially making an air boat out of screen doors).

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It definetley isn't the BEST product for customization but it is a very good alternative.

I've been using this **** on things since 2011....from helmets, atvs to full cars. Some of my projects turned out great some looked like straight ass.

You have to know how to apply it. For those that don't like the matte, rough finish....top coat is your friend. Looks and feels like real paint if done.....CORRECTLY.

But ya...if you just spray the stuff on any ole way with out any experience using it....it's probably gonna look like ****.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
raw

IMO

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
It definetley isn't the BEST product for customization but it is a very good alternative.

I've been using this **** on things since 2011....from helmets, atvs to full cars. Some of my projects turned out great some looked like straight ass.

You have to know how to apply it. For those that don't like the matte, rough finish....top coat is your friend. Looks and feels like real paint if done.....CORRECTLY.

But ya...if you just spray the stuff on any ole way with out any experience using it....it's probably gonna look like ****.

That's the ticket right there, you are relying on people to "know their limitations" most do not. I used to live in Houston and you would not believe some of the DIY paint and body work on the streets (I guess they look at it and say, well......it looks better than it used to) and are happy with it.

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's the ticket right there, you are relying on people to "know their limitations" most do not. I used to live in Houston and you would not believe some of the DIY paint and body work on the streets (I guess they look at it and say well......it looks better than it used to) and are happy with it.

Speaking of Houston. This was at HEB the other day[emoji23]
aa0021fa9d139fffcb9b6363514eab70.jpg

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If people want to plastidip then let them. If you can't afford powder coating, going to the body shop, or whatever then it is a great temporary alternative. Or if it holds well, and stays looking good just roll with it. I don't understand the hate for it. If you don't like it then keep on moving.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Biggest thing to remember with a "dip" is that it is more temporary, yes it does not have the resistance to whether, bugs, rock chips (paint fails there too) etc etc... but it is a great tool for a temp change or an inexpensive option to plan out and see for those who cannot envision the final product. I have my rood dipped on my truck, its it the best way to get the look i'm going for, no does it work yes, do I get compliments yes. Will it get replaced with paint one day, yes but that is cause I want it gloss black not matte or flat. I did it to see if I liked it with the hood decal I painted on. Spent $40 and a few hours and figured out I like the roof but not the hood.... It has a very good purpose for a do it yourself'r on a budget that cant afford a paint job or wrap.

A good proper paint job is going to be anywhere from 10k-15k and 99% of DYI'rs dont have a spray booth or the paint equipment, nor do they have the printers to do a wrap or the ability to. That is why this product is so popular due to its ease of installation even for the less talented, and just like paint the more talented tend to do a better product. I've seen dips look better than some people paint jobs.