Plastidip explained...for the naysayers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Good routes this year.

catch 22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
none
I think all the hate comes from people who think it's cheating because it's an easy, cheap, diy customization that you don't need a body shop for.

I don't need no stinkin body shop!

Attachments

• 246783_940547376041930_2856787626445732963_n.jpg
    246783_940547376041930_2856787626445732963_n.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 110

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok maybe I was just bs'ing a lil bit.
Man if my work came out that good I wouldn't be driving a 4 year old ram that's for sure lol.

Ha not quite. Her car actually came out pretty good though.
Another thing people don't realize is the dip can be a good original paint protectant. They make clear just to go over the original paint. Don't even have to change your original color.

I wish I had done the clear coat on mine too....little late now.
It will for sure be done on my next vehicle.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE!!! Seriously I bought my '12 used and it has tons of little rock chips, some scratches and rocker panels are far from new. Now my buddy did do a two stage buff then polish before I began on it. But here is my point, Do a round/layer of Wolfgang 3.0 deep gloss paint sealant. If it seriously didn't blow you away I will buy whats left of the bottle or I can send you what I have left. I have no affiliation to Wolfgang products but it far far far exceeded my expectations and I think it would do the same for you.
attachment.php

and been through about 50 carwashes without any problems.

Tunnels of death!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.07.45 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.07.45 AM.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 310

solo413

Reaction score
F*** no. This guy is promoting his business lol.

How to paint your car the right way.
https://youtu.be/AYB4Yxeq_M8

IMO

I agree plastidip sucks I messed up a good set of rims for my subbie with that bs! U can't use plastidip in the winter time , what type of spray paint can't be used in the winter because it's to cold! Any other spray paint I have used since I was kid has worked in all weather conditions. And it does not peel off as smooth as they make it seem either it took sand blasting and lots of man hours to get the garbage off of my wheels! I will gladly pay for real paint instead of that stupid short cut!

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree plastidip sucks I messed up a good set of rims for my subbie with that bs! U can't use plastidip in the winter time , what type of spray paint can't be used in the winter because it's to cold! Any other spray paint I have used since I was kid has worked in all weather conditions. And it does not peel off as smooth as they make it seem either it took sand blasting and lots of man hours to get the garbage off of my wheels! I will gladly pay for real paint instead of that stupid short cut!

Few questions...

Why can't you use plastidip in the wintertime?
Where do you reside?
What are the temps there?
How did it "mess up" your subbie rims? Pics?
How many coats did you apply?
If it came off in little pieces....you didn't use enough.

And plastidip isn't spray paint.

:popcorn:

Edit: anything under 60 degrees will cause the dip spray to not work as its intended. Again, not the product, the environment can have an effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9th

solo413

Reaction score
I live in Delaware.

Don't have pics saved any more plastidip gave me a full refund on there stuff. Which I applaud them for that!!

It messed up the rims by looking horrible and causing me 200 extra to get them sand blasted then taking extra time to smooth them out for priming and painting them with spray paint to come out nice and consistent

The rims were sprayed with over 3 coats of plastidip which I followed the process as they suggested putting the cans in hot buckets of water so the chemicals can warm up and mix properly. The spray still came out spotty and they sent me replacement cans. Waited Till summertime to respray and it still came out rough and not smooth as suggested. In my opinion this stuff sucks and is a waste of time and money.

Much better to take the time out to sand and prime than spray with paint and use wet sanding to get the best look or pay for powder coating.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in Delaware.

Don't have pics saved any more plastidip gave me a full refund on there stuff. Which I applaud them for that!!

It messed up the rims by looking horrible and causing me 200 extra to get them sand blasted then taking extra time to smooth them out for priming and painting them with spray paint to come out nice and consistent

The rims were sprayed with over 3 coats of plastidip which I followed the process as they suggested putting the cans in hot buckets of water so the chemicals can warm up and mix properly. The spray still came out spotty and they sent me replacement cans. Waited Till summertime to respray and it still came out rough and not smooth as suggested. In my opinion this stuff sucks and is a waste of time and money.

Much better to take the time out to sand and prime than spray with paint and use wet sanding to get the best look or pay for powder coating.

Sooo....it wasnt applied correctly.

Without pictures we can't see what you did wrong.

This is the perfect example of why the stuff gets a bad wrap. Thousands of people use this stuff with amazing results. As most cases...it's not the product....just the operator.

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used plastidip and other similar products. And all I can say is its garbage. I did my grille with it as a cheap/temp fix to getting by stock chrome grille blacked out until I had a spare to make my own custom grille. (Which yall will like when its done eventually)
It's spray pattern was uneven. It spattered and was just not pleasant to work with. IMO would not waste money on again

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my $0.02 but I'm one of the few old fashioned minded people on this forum who actually prefer chrome on a truck to painted bumpers, grilles and door handles. What's that got to do with plastidip? It's because I can't for the life of me understand anyone who would rattlecan or vinyl wrap those parts in plastic just to get rid of chrome. I don't care who you are, you may hate the look of chrome but even if I hated chrome (and I don't) covering it in plastic is even worse. If I were among those type of people I would either paint it professionally or completely replace it with paint matched parts.

I don't see any problems with how Rzrman328 did his, because all he did was put a little bit on his crossbars which already have a paint matched shell around the grille so it looks fine to me and it'd be silly for him to go to the cost and effort to professionally paint that small piece.

If you take care of them, fully painted bumpers and grilles look nice and stealthy. Fully chrome bumpers and grilles have a nice gleam to them. Covering large parts like that in plastic looks like what it actually is: plastic.

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's spray pattern was uneven. It spattered and was just not pleasant to work with.

Did you make even passes? Overlapping each other?

Spattering can be caused by a clogged tip...which also occurs with paint cans.

The spattered look is also caused by spraying the object from too far away. Closer causes a nice smooth finish. Not textured.

This stuff is not paint gentlemen. It works a little different.

Last edited:

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the stuff and it works great when applied correctly and for the proper expectations. You shouldn't expect it hold up as well as powder coating. It's 6 bucks a can and takes 2 cans for a set of wheels. So no, it's not going to hold up as well as a $250 powdercoat job. I bought a 6x10 trailer and it had white wheels, wanted it to better match my black truck so I took the wheels off and dipped them. It's holding up fine. My brother just bought a car and the wheels had the strangest pitting/acid wear on them, we dipped them and made the car look a thousand times better. If it doesn't hold up, we spend a couple hours together redoing them and drinking beer, so it's not all bad. Just have the right expectations for a 6 dollar product and the stuff works great.
And yes I have the money to powdercoat if I so desired, but I don't want to unmount and remount tires.
4c4c5abf0f9f61ebdb05f1e4b8379431.jpg

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the stuff and it works great when applied correctly and for the proper expectations. You shouldn't expect it hold up as well as powder coating. It's 6 bucks a can and takes 2 cans for a set of wheels. So no, it's not going to hold up as well as a $250 powdercoat job. I bought a 6x10 trailer and it had white wheels, wanted it to better match my black truck so I took the wheels off and dipped them. It's holding up fine. My brother just bought a car and the wheels had the strangest pitting/acid wear on them, we dipped them and made the car look a thousand times better. If it doesn't hold up, we spend a couple hours together redoing them and drinking beer, so it's not all bad. Just have the right expectations for a 6 dollar product and the stuff works great.
And yes I have the money to powdercoat if I so desired, but I don't want to unmount and remount tires.
4c4c5abf0f9f61ebdb05f1e4b8379431.jpg

Well said.

If this stuff held up as well as paint/powder coat??? Shiiiiiii.........

Expectations are the key here. It's a $6 can of rubber!!!!! Lol

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I can see both sides of the arguments for/against Plastidip. You cannot really argue against the true good results some get. Just seems if you sucked at finger painting in kindergarten as a kid, the learning curve to correctly apply the stuff is gonna be lost on those. Even then, there seems to be a certain "luck" factor for results even when everything is done right on the prep.

twodips

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I can't paint to save my life so I'd be the one with spatters,spits and fisheyes. LOL

solo413

Reaction score
Sooo....it wasnt applied correctly.

Without pictures we can't see what you did wrong.

This is the perfect example of why the stuff gets a bad wrap. Thousands of people use this stuff with amazing results. As most cases...it's not the product....just the operator.

No error on my part sir! Cheap product

solo413

Reaction score
Agree.

It's not for everyone.

I agree it's not for everyone! Some have had great results others not, I would never purchase again but more power to the ones that love it!

I had good customer service from them and I appreciate that!

Smurfkiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plasti-dip can be a cool thing if you understand IT IS NOT PAINT, IT IS NOT POWDER COAT. it is cheap, it will peel, most of it has a rough texture. Pearls & Pigments is doing crazy stuff here in houston with dip though. they have flip flop color changing dip, extreme pearls & flakes and some top coat that is smooth glossy and actually looks like paint they even wax it.

i have used plasti dip several different times on different projects. used it to give me a idea what things would look like if i painted them black. used it on the splitter and rockers on my vette and caddy because i knew they would get rock chips etc anyway. actually the dip protects against chips pretty good.

i even had P&P dip my entire caddy Matte pearl white. i left it like that for about 7 months looked great. didnt cost me anything as it was a trade.

Haters are gonna Hate thats ok, i dont think everyone should "love" plasti-dip , but alot dont truly understand and others just make negative comments to be assholes or act like they would never do somethign so "cheap" to their cars. Here in Houston we have tons of vettes ferraris lambos and GTRs that are dipped in crazy colors and schemes. they change them up every 6 months to 1 year. but plasti dip is not paint just like Macco wont give you a quality paint job. its a inexpensive removable coating. that is offered in rattle cans at lowes or in hundreds of colors in spray-able liquid.

i actually used it on my ram to black out the ram badges front & rear till i can get ahold of this rebadge design guy to make me new ones. and i might even try blacking out the t bar on my grille to see if i want to paint it that way.

with matte pearl dip
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...192551.-2207520000.1464195883.&type=3&theater

before just dip on front splitter, rockers rear spoiler and recess around license plate. center of wheels spokes, window trim
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...192551.-2207520000.1464195882.&type=3&theater

Last edited:

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man whats the deal with plasti dip bashing? It feels to me like some guys have resentments against it which I cannot understand that mindset.

I could have told people I painted my grill flat black and no one would know the difference! I researched and studied how to prep surface, how to apply it and how to make perfect tapped lines. And it did ALL of that very well!

IMO and many my grill turned out great.

MY PURPOSE was to experiment to see how it would look on my truck as I could not visualize it. It far exceeded my expectations and I have plans to paint it permanently. So for experimenting plasti dip is simply amazing and there is no reason it should ever ruin anything as it peels off! Maybe it comes off in little pieces at times I don't know and haven't really taken it off yet. Just my tailgate emblem had a dime size piece come off when my buddy taped it for buff job. It all peeled off pretty easy...

To each his own but I bought my Ram used for 23k so I didn't have the option of choosing a new truck and trim how I wanted it. But I also like not having a $600 truck payment :flipthebird: I liked the truck enough but if I want to customize to my own personality then that is my choice to do so and it is an enjoyment for me...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.12.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-16 at 11.12.17 AM.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 65