Plastidipped my bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wonder why you can't just buy a truck from the dealership with plasti-dip instead of paint?

I mean it's soo much better, and last/holds up just as good.

Any ideas why?

IMO

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been toying with the idea of color matching my bumpers. Just been going back and forth between an aftermarket bumper or buying and painting a steel OEM bumper. In the meantime, my son talked me into Plastidipping the stock chrome bumpers to see how it would look. So this weekend we applied 8 coats of white and 4 coats of glossifier to my chrome bumpers and grill. I'm just wondering how well the Plastidip will hold up to the millions of south Ga bugs!

How's this holding up so far?

Tanker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 2WD / 2008 HD Street Bob
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love that grill what brand is it? If I may ask?

OP
OP
Wandell

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I ordered the grill from Ebay store E-Autogrilles. It was supposed to be a Paramount grill but when it arrived, all the instructions were labeled Smittybilt.
The Plastidip is holding up "ok". I've found that for some reason, bugs with yellow guts tend to eat away at the dip. I also have two places on the front bumper trying to lift. I think this is because of my prep work. I always waxed the front bumper heavily in an effort to make bug guts easier to wash off and I probably didn't get all the residue removed properly. It's holding up about like I thought it would. I have ordered a new primered bumper and getting it painted. The rear bumper is holding up fine because it takes much less abuse.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was really hoping that the $40 solution would have held up and looked just as good as paint.

I think it's safe to say that you didn't fail in the prep work, just an inferior product used as a substitute for the real thing.

You did it right
..spray it on, get an idea, then do it properly.

Thanks for being honest, instead of showing pictures of it 1min after spraying and tell everyone it looks great 6 months later.
raw

Last edited:

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's what I though, that's why I'm going powder coating route. Thanks for the real review.

new_hemi14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was really hoping that the $40 solution would have held up and looked just as good as paint.

I think it's safe to say that you didn't fail in the prep work, just an inferior product used as a substitute for the real thing.

You did it right
..spray it on, get an idea, then do it properly.

Thanks for being honest, instead of showing pictures of it 1min after spraying and tell everyone it looks great 6 months later.
raw
Jesus christ dude, you have such a hard on for hating plasti-dip. If you don't like it, fine, but shut up about how it's so inferior to paint. IT IS NOT PAINT AND NOT TRYING TO BE. Not everybody thinks the same way you do. Also, not everyone can afford to paint or powder coat their wheels, bumpers etc.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Jesus christ dude, you have such a hard on for hating plasti-dip. If you don't like it, fine, but shut up about how it's so inferior to paint. IT IS NOT PAINT AND NOT TRYING TO BE. Not everybody thinks the same way you do. Also, not everyone can afford to paint or powder coat their wheels, bumpers etc.
Sounds like you just did a copy and paste of someone elses comment to you.
6ff5fb29b84021ba99dfdc05ca70b6fa.jpg

Id have to agree that growing up should be #1 on your list... Right beside stop whining.

Contrary to popular belief, 95% of plati-dip fanboys do very much believe that it is just as good as paint. (And that's perfectly ok)

And if you can't afford real paint/powder coating/new rims... Then that is just because you either spend your money on other things like flatbill monster hats or air jordans.. Thats cool too. Modding vehicles isn't everyone's thing. For some, its a priority... For others, its just something to do every now and then.

But don't cry over someone, with experience, for pointing out the correct way to do something...when that is the purpose of the forum.

If you can't afford something...then work a second job, save up, quit buying redbulls and ***** subscriptions.

Don't forget to vote for hillary, your feelings matter.

20fd00f4a564b47030aa57c37dd6c2bb.jpg

IMO

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Id have to agree that growing up should be #1 on your list... Right beside stop whining.

Contrary to popular belief, 95% of plati-dip fanboys do very much believe that it is just as good as paint. (And that's perfectly ok)

And if you can't afford real paint/powder coating/new rims... Then that is just because you either spend your money on other things like flatbill monster hats or air jordans.. Thats cool too. Modding vehicles isn't everyone's thing. For some, its a priority... For others, its just something to do every now and then.

But don't cry over someone, with experience, for pointing out the correct way to do something...when that is the purpose of the forum.

If you can't afford something...then work a second job, save up, quit buying redbulls and ***** subscriptions.

IMO
Look, I agree, Plasti dip, is good to figure out if you like a look or a temporary solution. I am saving up for the bumpers and a color matched grille. I just dropped a grip on my tonneau cover, and uncle Sam doesn't replenish as fast as I would like. I also have 5 kids, yes I know what causes is, two of which have orthodontic bills, which between the two of them, my truck would be done with custom bumpers, unfortunately I can't do the hat right now. So plasti dip it is, till I have the permanent solution, i.e. powdercoat/paint.

southernbnb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

IMO
I was totally with you right up until you started talking about the "correct" way to do things, and "that's the purpose of this forum".

Last time I checked, this forum is supposed to be about the love of dodge ram trucks. Not about telling people they are wrong or right. Just because you don't agree with/don't like plasti-dip doesn't make you the reigning authority on what is the right or wrong way to do something. There are multiple methods to accomplish a lot of things in life and those methods have varying levels of success. Doesn't make them wrong, just another way to do something. If you don't like it, great. That's your opinion, everybodies got one. But that doesn't make your method the "correct way" to do something.

Now, should young blood there have flipped off the handle and crawled you like that? Absolutely not. This is supposed to be a civilized community for folks that share a common interest. But sometimes emotions get the better of us all and we say things in a manner that probably could have been done differently. It's called being human. It happens. I think we all just need to take a step back, WOOSAH for a minute, and then get back to talking shop about our shared abnormal affections towards an inanimate object.

Just my 2 cents. I'm going back to sleep now. Y'all have a great night. [emoji6]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Eh, there's always a "correct" way.. Its how the professionals do it.

Opinions on how you "should" do it to accomplish what "you" want the final result to be/can afford, is all up in the air.

Not bashing plasti-dip or you guys that use it... But I damn sure have a hard time keeping quiet when someone compares it to paint. Everything else was directed solely to the ******* that didn't rase his hand first.

16fb407ff46448c6f94f9a6f3644bf14.jpg
6bd2cc0dd59ca5e6834dc502177b3fc4.jpg

IMO

new_hemi14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

IMO
I didn't copy and paste ****. Go **** yourself

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use it to protect parts during hunting season. Put it on different parts of my truck then at the end of hunting season I just peel it off. Works great.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't copy and paste ****. Go **** yourself

Not bashing plasti-dip or you guys that use it... But I damn sure have a hard time keeping quiet when someone compares it to paint.
IMO

Lmao oh man this made my morning :happy175:

I will gladly admit though...I have NEVER said that dip is as good as paint.

Because it isn't.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is an ideal and smart use for plastidip.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Yessir.

I had a buddy who hated plastidip(more than austinb) and he dipped the whole front end on his challenger srt just to make trips to car meets/races. Peeled it off when he got there....put it right back on for trip home.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Would make great nail polish for the ladies.. Especially the glossifier.

That should be great news for you new_hemi14, since you strike me as the type of guy who paints his fingernails black and hates the world.

raw

IMO

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The personal insults and cursing each other isn't necessary in this thread. If you must denegrate each other how about taking it to PMs? I promise the rest of us aren't impressed....

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk