Practice run with DupliColor Shadow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So today I painted the Ram letters from my debadging. Just getting some practice with this stuff. i want to try my wheels at some point. It's pretty easy to spray too much of this stuff and have it puddle up. Also, it doesn't stick to the corners very well. The first ones I did came out too dark. I'm finishing up the clear coat on the second set. I'll get some pictures up in the better light tomorrow.

OP
OP
ram-head

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the first set. Four light coats of base then some clear. Too dark for my taste.
umeby5u7.jpg

Then I did these. Two light coats of base. I didn't waste the clear on these. You can see a little bit of puddle on the bottom of the first one.
du7yvu3e.jpg

yrupyruq.jpg

These are one light coat of base and one slightly heavier. Two light coats of clear and one heavy. I think they turned out the best.
hupaze2a.jpg

ypy9e9es.jpg

uma7ave3.jpg

I'll try to get some better pictures in the sunlight tomorrow. They all look a little darker than they actually are in my single light in the garage.

OP
OP
ram-head

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The guy at NAPA said it's pretty popular. And he hasn't had anyone come back complaining. I'm a little nervous to try it on a $250 wheel. lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've heard on large items like wheels and grilles it turns out a shade of purple

OP
OP
ram-head

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks. I'm not sure I want to put it on my wheels, though.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Very nice. I've been wanting to paint some of my emblems black. I may go this route instead. Thanks for the pics. How did you get the outline on the last one? Tape the whole emblem, then cut out the inner?

OP
OP
ram-head

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the pics. How did you get the outline on the last one? Tape the whole emblem, then cut out the inner?

I think that may be a trick the light is playing on you. I didn't tape anything. I sprayed evenly on the whole thing. This stuff will not stick on corners very well. And it kind of gathers in inward corners, so I think that gives it the "outline" you're talking about.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
did you sand the emblems at all? when i painted the emblems on my 3rd gen that helped a ton with the corners

OP
OP
ram-head

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No. This stuff is like a tinted clear coat so sanding it would show through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram head....I have the same color on my 2010..I debadged mine and just a thought for your wheels....Try a can of plasti dipp....I dont know if you can shade like your letters...But i did a quick job on my wheels with it and kinda got a lil bit of a gun metal grey only cause i put on a super lite coat.....If you dont have it like you like it,pull it off and reclean and retry..Got mine black now..temps are to cold to do it right so i did ****** jobs and looks sharp..

OP
OP
ram-head

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the wheels on my last one with that. Just looking for something a little more permanent and durable. I may end up going that route though.