Protecting Plastidip surfaces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glossifier, DYC Topcoat, or a third option?

Now that I've done my badges, bumpers, etc. I am hoping someone will give me some feedback on this. I watched Fonzie at DYC describe and show the advantages of his topcoat, which I admit has some great features. Specifically the slicker feel, resistance to blemishes, and lastly the "UV thing". I know glossifier hits on the UV, bust does it feel slicker and really give it that protective coating? Thanks, Chris
bdcb44e2bd64afbc20ae44a8e4e0af4e.jpg
Went nuts with the 'dip this week.....
88018899853a4939e2877835bebb70c7.jpg

Sent from that thing I'm carrying around

Last edited:

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Glossifer helps. I personally use straight clear spray paint over the plasti dip. Strong and hard so it resists everything and still allows you to peel it off. I sprayed my wheels over 6 months ago with 2 coats of cheap clear from Home Depot and they clean much easier than glossifer. It's a smooth finish.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's really no protective coating.
The more coats of plasti dip the more durable it will be and stronger

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree. It needs to be thick. I learned the hard way when I plasti dipped some tsw wheels on my BMW and didn't get it thick. It was always getting nicked.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Glossifer helps. I personally use straight clear spray paint over the plasti dip. Strong and hard so it resists everything and still allows you to peel it off. I sprayed my wheels over 6 months ago with 2 coats of cheap clear from Home Depot and they clean much easier than glossifer. It's a smooth finish.
I was under the impression that if you use regular paint/clear over plastidip it would be harder to peel off.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was under the impression that if you use regular paint/clear over plastidip it would be harder to peel off.

Correct. Instead of being a film that you feel off it will come in flakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes if you make tons of coats it will be thicker and hold up... just be careful not to put too much at one time or it can run on you. I did my wheels on my WRX fluorescent yellow. I probably had 10 cans that I used, 2 cans of white base, then the yellow, and prob 2 cans of gloss spread out on the 4 wheels.

The gloss will prob help against failing, but I'd say the slick texture is just from not making too thick of coats. Anyone?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I know its a lot different then regular rattle cans, you want to be fairly close when applying the plastidip. The closer you are (within reason) the smoother it will be, whereas holding the can farther away will leave a more textured finish.