puddle of clean oil under my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last week I changed my oil, made a bit of a mess with the filter, although I use an old pot to catch the filter some oil splashed out...so when I noticed some oil on my RF shock body I wiped it off and made a mental note to order the bilstiens I have ben wanting.
Last night I noticed a puddle about 1 foot around of clean oil on my garage floor where I had last parked my ram. Looked to be where the R/F was, I crawled under the truck and sure enough the oil filter and plug were dry...But the shock was wet and dripping. I figured it would be the shock, engine oil is only clean for about two passes through the engine.

Ordered bilstiens this am, set of four. Its time.

Last edited:

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Even a small amount of oil drip can spread to look like a huge puddle. I recently had this happen to me on my 69 Coronet. I freaked out till I got down close and looked. The puddle was thin as could be and I I found the single drip.

Clean what you can, throw cardboard down so you can figure out the origin of the drip. Then look up.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I would be hesitant to drive it. If it were blow in to the rotor you may be in for a big surprise! If you must drive it make sure to give yourself lots of extra space. Batter safe than sorry!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
If you haven't already, double check the oil cap. It's the only other place I could think of clean oil coming from if the plug and filter are dry.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. As I noted in my post its the shock. Now that all the oil has leaked out I have some R/F chatter, I've had a slight vibration for along time, even after new tires and an alignment. From what I've ben told the stock shocks start to fail at around 60k so at 63k I'm " on schedule" I ordered bilstiens from shock warehouse last Wed. they should be here this Wed. Now I'm trying to decide If I should do the fronts myself with my cheap *** HF spring compressor on my lift or pay my local shop 300 bucks. I guess I'll check in the How to section here , and check online at utube to see what it entails. Might even read the instructions...LOL ...if they come with them...LOL

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Thanks guys. As I noted in my post its the shock. Now that all the oil has leaked out I have some R/F chatter, I've had a slight vibration for along time, even after new tires and an alignment. From what I've ben told the stock shocks start to fail at around 60k so at 63k I'm " on schedule" I ordered bilstiens from shock warehouse last Wed. they should be here this Wed. Now I'm trying to decide If I should do the fronts myself with my cheap *** HF spring compressor on my lift or pay my local shop 300 bucks. I guess I'll check in the How to section here , and check online at utube to see what it entails. Might even read the instructions...LOL ...if they come with them...LOL

Ahh, I thought it was residual oil running down from the filter oil change. Since that typically spills all over the place. I didnt know our shocks gave up the ghost at 60k.

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never had a shock leak oil out like this. It must be all better, no more oil is leaking out...LOL

MY bilstiens should be delivered today, Ill install them ASAP!

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
received bilstiens, installed started fri nite with R/F ( the one that leaked out all the oil) and the other three yesterday. I knew the fronts would be a but of a struggle, even on my lift, but air tools etc were a great equalizer.
I expected the rears to be simple, however they are also a PITA. loosening /removing the fender liner and dickin around above the gas tank.....well, theres a 21mm socket up there somewhere, and I recommend you have two guys near the same height work on this.

Saved 300-500 bucks and had fun. only threw a couple tools.

Truck drives like new. no more vibration in the gas pedal I had since I bought it 16 months ago. much more stable on the road, very happy with the product sofar.
also the R/F shock was, as expected dead. push the plunger down and it stays.