Pvd vs chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking for new wheels and need facts about pvd vs chrome. Which lasts longer, is easier to maintain, etc. I've looked online but can't come to a straight conclussion. I'm leaning towards pvd but would appreciate comments from those who know better than I do. Also leaning towards 18" wheels vs 20s. Any opinions there?

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
More rubber can be better. chrome I hate chrome. You have to keep it clean or it will peel that means constant cleaning and polishing every damn wheel

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bryan28

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trip1027 is that a vote for pvd? I read both can peel but seems less likely with pvd. Also seems pvd can withstand winter road salt so can be used year-round, weighs less and can be cleaned with just mild soap and water. Also read it usually has a better warranty than chrome.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
had to look up pvd lol. I would go pvd

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
PVD is a powder coat process so it won't have any of the peeling or pitting issues of chrome and that is why I'm going pvd when I'm ready to get wheels. Easier to maintain and can be run year around.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I am going PVD as well when I buy new rims, amy wheel you buy will have issues of some sort but the PVD coating seems like it would be easiest to maintain.

929rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had both over the years and pvd is better by far. They are just as durable and easy to clean as any wheel with a clear coat. Most pvd wheels have a 3-5 yr warranty and most chrome wheels are 1 yr max.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard of numerous problems with pvd. Chrome will pit and come off only if you don't take care of it. I have seen pvd peel off in large amounts and it was properly cared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard of numerous problems with pvd. Chrome will pit and come off only if you don't take care of it. I have seen pvd peel off in large amounts and it was properly cared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sooo....most wheels will look like ****....eventually....got it.

Lol

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a set of chrome Eagle Alloy wheels on my wifes Expedition that were installed in 2005. There are a few places that have a slight discoloration and that's about it. I've never polished them, only wash them weekly with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Now, we do live in south Ga where there is no road salt. But the Eagle's are not the highest quality wheels either. In my experience, polished aluminum is by far the hardest finish to keep looking good.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
18" give a bit more protection from rim damage if you hit curbs, deal with potholes, or off road where rocks live.

20" give a bit better on road handling.

Some people prefer one look over the other.

On the RAMs I like 17" or 18" for winters and 20" for the rest of the year unless the tires are over sized, fairly wide, and have aggressive tread.

Last edited:

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Neither seem to hold up to any salt, so if you are looking to run them all year or in winter they may not last long.

PVD do seem to hold up a bit better than chrome, and as with many things quality seems to impact lifespan.

Keeping the back of the wheel and the area near the valve stem clean is important with either finish to delay leaking and peeling.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PVD is a powder coat process so it won't have any of the peeling or pitting issues of chrome and that is why I'm going pvd when I'm ready to get wheels. Easier to maintain and can be run year around.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

um no Physical vapor deposition is not powder coat it is an option to plate with differing materials DLC is one such , there are a lot more options in durable finishes in PVD but none will shine like a bright chrome finish over nickle

chrome as it is is really just a clear coat on top of a bright nickle plating

personally I rather have hard chrome unfortunately is never going to be an option as it is too hard a finish for wheels

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had my PVD wheels for 1.5 years now and gone through 2 Indiana winters. They still look brand new. The last set of chrome wheels I bought were non-PVD and they were a PITA to keep looking nice, they started showing signs of rust after the first year.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
well how about polished aluminum easy to clean when it loses its shine you repolish

my rims on the 15 R/T are the kind you mentioned and I have power polished them enough times that they are starting to look like chrome, love them:favorites13: