Quad cab topper on a crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought an new 2017 1500 crew cab with the 6.5 box. The dealer has a like new topper off a quad cab 6.5. Will it fit my truck? I can get it for less than half what a new topper will cost. I have seen conflicting reports online as to whether the contour of the back of the cabs are the same. It is a two hour drive each way to take the truck there for a test fit. Anyone have the definitive answer on this one?

kooler1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will not fit. They are all model specific and quad is not a cc. Everything lines up different. Dealer should know that

2012 ram 2500 4x4. 3” lift. 37x13.5x17 toyo mt. Smitty built grill, kenwood radio, bullet liner.

OP
OP
aladin_sane

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the truck dealer, not a topper dealer.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I bite the bullet and order a new one.

kooler1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Call the topper company and tell them what you have. They will tell you if it matches.

2012 ram 2500 4x4. 3” lift. 37x13.5x17 toyo mt. Smitty built grill, kenwood radio, bullet liner.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All 6.5 beds are the same unless you have ram box. Doesn’t matter crew cab or quad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
aladin_sane

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All 6.5 beds are the same unless you have ram box. Doesn’t matter crew cab or quad.

I know it will fit the box. It is the back contour of the cab I am concerned about.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don’t see why it wouldn’t. The back of the cabs are all the same. I just sold my topper to a guy with a crew cab and I have the quad cab. Fit just like it did on my truck

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
The rear of the cabs are different. I kept my Leer shell off my 2010 black quad cab and put it on my new 17 black crew cab. It fits the bed of course just doesn’t hug the rear of the cab as nice as it did on the quad. I had to move the shell as far forward as possible to close the gap. It looks okay but not as good as if it was made for the crew. You can’t really notice the gap unless you’re standing from the side looking between the cab and bed, then you can tell the contour of the shell does not match the contour of the cab. Most people don’t notice unless I point it out, but I see it every time since I put it on there. I can live with it though. Definitely don’t want to spend the $$$ for another shell.

Last edited:

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

No, the back of a quad cab is shaped different then the back of a crew cab. I know cuz I was just looking at them today and the topper place told me that info. It will work but won't look right where the topper meets the back of the cab.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t see why it wouldn’t. The back of the cabs are all the same. I just sold my topper to a guy with a crew cab and I have the quad cab. Fit just like it did on my truck

Maybe it depends also on the brand of topper???

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It was made by Ranch. Idk, he didn’t notice any weird gap, and neither did I. But I got that one second hand and I want one with certain options, which is why I sold it

OP
OP
aladin_sane

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This one is a leer, so I'm a little hesitant.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
The back of the quad cab is more straight up and down than the crew cab. A quad cab topper will fit the crew cab but there will be a slight gap at the top. A crew cab topper will not work on a quad cab because of the forward curvature at the top. It will fit the bed but, depending on the topper brand, it may hit the back of the cab when properly positioned. Clear as mud?

OP
OP
aladin_sane

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I will drive up, test fit the topper and see if I can live with the gap. I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be able to, but it's worth checking it out.

OP
OP
aladin_sane

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In case anyone is still interested, I did put the quad cab topper on my crew cab. It looks good to me. I agree, it may hug the quad cab profile a slight bit tighter, but this works for me.

I have not moved to another photo hosting service since Photobucket put the screw to us, so I wont be posting any pics yet.

Oh, I now hear you can directly upload in this forum, so I will give that a try

Attachments

• IMG_1861[1].jpg
    IMG_1861[1].jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1862[1].jpg
    IMG_1862[1].jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 94

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the update

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not moved to another photo hosting service since Photobucket put the screw to us, so I wont be posting any pics yet.
Actually this forum allows for uploading pictures right to the site!
It’s even fairly easy...
Click Edit your post, click go advanced, scroll down to additional options, click manage attachments, pick the picture you’d like to upload from your local photo album/harddrive, click upload and voilà, it appears right below your posting.

OP
OP
aladin_sane

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually this forum allows for uploading pictures right to the site!
It’s even fairly easy...
Click Edit your post, click go advanced, scroll down to additional options, click manage attachments, pick the picture you’d like to upload from your local photo album/harddrive, click upload and voilà, it appears right below your posting.

Thanks for the tip David. Pics are now up.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Truck looks good, like the topper and the blue color. :)