Quad headlight compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motley1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sold the quad headlights off of my 2014 express to someone with a 2009 SLT and he's having problems getting them to work. Does anyone know if 2014 quads fit a 2009 SLT? Thanks for the help!

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
From what in understand and was told my Jeremy at Retro Shop, quads and duals are interchangeable and plug right in. Does he know he needs different bulbs??

If going from Dual lights to Quads you won't get the feature where when you put the high beams on the lows stay on. Only trucks that came with quads will have that feature

Sent from hell via TapATalk

OP
OP
M

motley1987

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what in understand and was told my Jeremy at Retro Shop, quads and duals are interchangeable and plug right in. Does he know he needs different bulbs??

If going from Dual lights to Quads you won't get the feature where when you put the high beams on the lows stay on. Only trucks that came with quads will have that feature

Thanks for the info! He should be using quad bulbs, not dual bulbs right? I'll have to get him to comment on what happened when he tried them.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Don't know if this helps, but I sold the stock quads from my 2011 last year to a guy with a newer truck and when he plugged them in things were not working correctly. He took the harnesses out of his original lights and put them in the ones I sold him and they worked fine. Doesn't makes sense but ......

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Lows will still stay on with the swap

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lows will still stay on with the swap
Hmmm I've read differently around here. Retroshop even sells an adapter to keep the lows on if you swap to Quads but it says not to use it with halogens.

And Motley 1987, yes he should be using an h11 for the low beam and a 9005 for the high beam. The duals use an h13 for a high/low combo.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hmmm I've read differently around here. Retroshop even sells an adapter to keep the lows on if you swap to Quads but it says not to use it with halogens.

And Motley 1987, yes he should be using an h11 for the low beam and a 9005 for the high beam. The duals use an h13 for a high/low combo.

Maybe an american truck thing but doesnt make sense. If the dual keeps both on, the quad literally has a splitter inside that goes to both bulbs. No way they wouldnt stay on. As for the adapter, ive never seen it for our trucks, only ever saw one to keep fogs on with highs.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Maybe an american truck thing but doesnt make sense. If the dual keeps both on, the quad literally has a splitter inside that goes to both bulbs. No way they wouldnt stay on. As for the adapter, ive never seen it for our trucks, only ever saw one to keep fogs on with highs.

The duals have 1 bulb for both high/low, it's an h13 bulb. There is no way to keep "both" on as the bulb turns off one filament and turns on another for the high in the same bulb.

The quads have a bulb for low (h11) and a bulb for high (9005). Inside the housing it has a splitter. The trucks computer needs to be reflashed with a certain sales code to allow both high and low to stay on together.

http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Diode

Diode splitter - used in 4th gen Quad setup to keep high beams on with the low beams. For use with relay harness applications only.
For trucks originally equipped with the Dual headlamps, moved to the Quads (or '13+ Projectors) and want to keep the lows on with highs.
FOR HID LOW BEAM USE ONLY. Do not use on halogen low beams!

Last edited:

racinjason15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I have a single h13 do you know of any hid kits that will work without error codes? Is there an hid kit that is hi/low or would I just get low beam? (I would be ok with that) I just know my h13s are garbage. I can't see anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
So I have a single h13 do you know of any hid kits that will work without error codes? Is there an hid kit that is hi/low or would I just get low beam? (I would be ok with that) I just know my h13s are garbage. I can't see anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Contact Jeremy at retroshop.us. He can answer any question you have and set you up with the solution

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
+1 For Jeremy at TheRetroShop!! I ordered custom Quads from him last week that will be here Tuesday! He was super patient and answered a ton of questions about the lights I wanted.

If you get an HID kit for the Dual lights, it will be an H13 Bi-Xenon HID Kit which means both your High and Low would be a shared HID bulb, unless you order the kind with the small High beam halogen mounted to it, which IMHO is garbage and barely lights anything.

P.S. you really shouldn't be putting an HID kit into stock housing Dual lights. They need a projector to properly work right. Your just going to scatter the hid light everywhere and blind oncoming traffic.

Either order TYC 13'+ oem replica projectors or get a retrofit done to your duals.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The duals have 1 bulb for both high/low, it's an h13 bulb. There is no way to keep "both" on as the bulb turns off one filament and turns on another for the high in the same bulb.

The quads have a bulb for low (h11) and a bulb for high (9005). Inside the housing it has a splitter. The trucks computer needs to be reflashed with a certain sales code to allow both high and low to stay on together.

http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Diode

Diode splitter - used in 4th gen Quad setup to keep high beams on with the low beams. For use with relay harness applications only.
For trucks originally equipped with the Dual headlamps, moved to the Quads (or '13+ Projectors) and want to keep the lows on with highs.
FOR HID LOW BEAM USE ONLY. Do not use on halogen low beams!

Gotcha, somebody had said the low filament stayed on with the highs in the duals which is why it just wasnt making sense.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Gotcha, somebody had said the low filament stayed on with the highs in the duals which is why it just wasnt making sense.
It's a possibility but even thrn, the internal wiring is different for the duals and the quads, so it has something to do with flashing a sales code. But, members on here have said dealers wouldnt/couldn't flash the sales code for this. I dunno... not a big deal to me.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one - Can someone confirm I can plug in a set of Quads into a 2012 that came with factory Duel headlights and they will work fine? I don't need Highs/Lows on at the same time functionality, thats just weird to me..

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Reviving an old thread instead of creating a new one - Can someone confirm I can plug in a set of Quads into a 2012 that came with factory Duel headlights and they will work fine? I don't need Highs/Lows on at the same time functionality, thats just weird to me..
Yes ive swapped a few sets of different year quads into my 2012 that came from the factory with duals. Right now im building a custom set of quads from a 2016 2500 to go into my 2012 that came with duals. Plus ive had a set of custom black housing quads on my truck aswell.

If your buying a brand new pair of Quads then you dont need to worry about the next part as they will be included, but...
If your buying the quads from a person, just make sure the quads you are buying have the small wiring (splitter) inside the headlight. With your dual headlights, the h13 harness from your truck plugs right into the back of the h13 bulb on the Duals. On the Quads, the trucks h13 harness plugs into a h13 plug coming out the back of the headlights. That plugs wires then run inside the headlight and split off to both the H11 low beam and the 9005 high beam. If those wires are missing you wont be able to use the Quads until you get them. They sell those quad splitter wires/harness on ebay for $19.99 each if you end up needing them.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes ive swapped a few sets of different year quads into my 2012 that came from the factory with duals. Right now im building a custom set of quads from a 2016 2500 to go into my 2012 that came with duals. Plus ive had a set of custom black housing quads on my truck aswell.

If your buying a brand new pair of Quads then you dont need to worry about the next part as they will be included, but...
If your buying the quads from a person, just make sure the quads you are buying have the small wiring (splitter) inside the headlight. With your dual headlights, the h13 harness from your truck plugs right into the back of the h13 bulb on the Duals. On the Quads, the trucks h13 harness plugs into a h13 plug coming out the back of the headlights. That plugs wires then run inside the headlight and split off to both the H11 low beam and the 9005 high beam. If those wires are missing you wont be able to use the Quads until you get them. They sell those quad splitter wires/harness on ebay for $19.99 each if you end up needing them.

Thats great to hear. Can you link me to the harness incase I end up needing it?

So I have Quads in my truck, But my father has Duels in his 2012. I purchased a second set in hopes to retrofit, but I cant see spending that kind of cash right now. He's looking to upgrade his headlights as the Duels are just plain horrible. He has ordered Sylverstar Ultra's as a last ditch effort, but if their not good enough he's going to end up swapping in my spare set of Duels into his 2012. So I'd need the harness if so.

I have a set of Fluxbeam LEDs on the way for my Quads, Were going to compare my Quads with LEDs to his Duels with Sylverstar Ultra's and he will make his decision.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thats great to hear. Can you link me to the harness incase I end up needing it?

So I have Quads in my truck, But my father has Duels in his 2012. I purchased a second set in hopes to retrofit, but I cant see spending that kind of cash right now. He's looking to upgrade his headlights as the Duels are just plain horrible. He has ordered Sylverstar Ultra's as a last ditch effort, but if their not good enough he's going to end up swapping in my spare set of Duels into his 2012. So I'd need the harness if so.

I have a set of Fluxbeam LEDs on the way for my Quads, Were going to compare my Quads with LEDs to his Duels with Sylverstar Ultra's and he will make his decision.
Open up one of the dust caps on your spare set of quad headlights. If there are bulbs in them with plugs attached then you have the wiring you will need. If there are no wires inside anywhere then youl need the harness.

As for the opt7 led's im telling you right now i had them in a set of Quads and they are super bright and amazing. Just make sure you install them the right way and aim them properly and they will be 20x better then any halogen you can buy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201393078802

You would need 1 for each headlight.