Ram bed tent and camping experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at purchasing a bed tent and really interested in seeing if anyone has pictures. I know ram has a custom bed tent and am likely to purchase that down the road. I like to go out and see nature. Planing on going to Tennessee or Georgia camping next summer. Went to North Carolina last summer. Feel free to post pictures of camping with your truck
http://www.moparonlineparts.com/mobile/1500-tent-p-4986.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry no pics but one of my mountain bike buddies has a bed tent on a Tacoma, and I don't think it's a great solution (neither does his wife who stays in a regular tent ;)): The wheel wells prevent you from using the whole width of the bed, you have to empty the bed, you can't drive anywhere without taking down the tent, about the only benefit is that you are off the ground and have some sheetmetal around the lower part.

I'm fairly certain RAM doesn't make the tent and just "brands" another manufacturer's tent so you may be able to find it somewhere else cheaper. Looks suspiciously like a Napier Backroadz....

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the Kodiak canvas truck tent:

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/canvas-truck-tent-6-ft/

And we also had (let someone borrow it... It of course came back with a hole...) an air mattress with wheel well cutouts so the whole width of the bed is available. No issues sleeping 2.

These items worked well together. Fairly easy to setup and take down, but like any tent, test it a few times first so you aren't trying to beat the sun. It's fairly breathable, so condensation on the inside was minimal despite temperatures in the 40s. It also rained one night, and we were dry except the mentioned condensation.

The biggest con IMO was the need to break the whole tent down if you need to drive somewhere, so basically plan ahead, bring bikes, or look into something that can handle driving like a hard or soft camper top.

*Tried to get a couple pics up, but this doesn't like mobile; if you do a Google or YouTube search you'll find plenty of info.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. Yea I'd most likely have bikes and I'm not opposed to removal of the tent. We usually go shopping and bring stuff back in a cooler so no need to leave to many times.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) I've seen some pretty cool bed tents, but as mentioned above, the wheel wells really screw things up--unless you build a platform--so

I've gotta couple air tents(5 minute setup), a "Hatch" tent that I'll use with my "CANOPY" and an off-road trailer-so

I won't have to sleep in the truck bed--maybe !

Whatever-

:crazy: JIMBO

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
http://m.autoanything.com/truck-tents/airbedz-lite-truck-bed-air-mattress?kc=ffsku&k_clickid=a34911ee-7868-48e0-8470-37b57e5960bb&adgroupid=9829&k_trackingid=274x72768495128&kpid=10415-6563-3600742&productid=72768495128&gclid=COzB99Le2NECFQdLDQodVqkCGg

I think they make one specific to the short beds; before mine got popped, it fit perfectly and I could close the tailgate (not with the tent tho).

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
this half tent is made for short boxes and is surprisingly comfortable.:)

Attachments

• 20160701_090539.jpg
    20160701_090539.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 72

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looking at purchasing a bed tent and really interested in seeing if anyone has pictures. I know ram has a custom bed tent and am likely to purchase that down the road. I like to go out and see nature. Planing on going to Tennessee or Georgia camping next summer. Went to North Carolina last summer. Feel free to post pictures of camping with your truck
Ram 1500 Tent, MoparOnlineParts.com

Haha the pic is of a Chevy in that link

603photog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Back around 2001-2003, I had a Silverado that my girlfriend and I would take all over the East Coast camping with our bed tent. We loved it. Just pull in, set up the tent, inflate the air mattress, roll out the sleeping bags and have a fun weekend!

Completely disagree about the wheel wells being an issue unless you're two very large people. I'm 6'1" and 185lbs and never had a problem having a good night's...err...sleep with the little lady. ;)

Inside the tent, you can use the poles to hang a lantern and such. If you have a roll-up tonneau cover, leaving the campsite is easy as you just collapse the tent poles and roll out the tonneau, go run your errands, come back, roll up the tonneau and pop the tent poles back in place without having to set everything back up, again.

I meant to get a scan of my old film prints of the setup today but completely forgot so I'll try to remember when I get home from work Tuesday morning. Gotta' dig 'em out of the photo album that never gets looked at, any more....

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a truck tent that I Used a few times with my Dakota . It was alright, I fit a full/queen size mattress in it. Currently I have a softopper on my truck. Keeps me dry when I'm camping and only takes a few minutes to fold down when I need my bed back.