Rattle at certain RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I have started getting a rattle coming from what sounds like the exhaust heat shield area. It is not all the time, only at certain Rpms, and I did not notice it before putting my carven progressive on a month or so ago. I have a feeling it is just a resonance frequency that is causing it, but not sure how to fix it if that is the case. Anyone with a similar occurrence? My thought was heat shield, but all bolts are secure, but that thing is flemsy.
The truck drives fine, and if it is in that rattle zone and I give it the gas to get out of the rpm range it goes away instantly.
Suggestions appreciated.

Luxuryram10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try slapping the gear shift and deleting a gear its also shutting off the mds system. My 2010 does the same thing unless I do this.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm pretty sure I have the same issue. I notice mine when I slow down though, not on acceleration. And I notice it more when I turn and slow down. It does sound just like a heat shield rattling and mine are all snug as well. I noticed mine after I put my wheels and tires on and I'm thinking maybe these Nittos vibrated a both a little lose somewhere, but I can't find where. Let me know if you find out what it is or an issue. There was a post about a clip on the exhaust so I broke that off like they said do and it didn't fix anything.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Same noise here on my 2015 Pentastar V6 , I will be dropping my truck off soon for winter tire swap and will be having the dealer look into it. But I believe it is the heat shield

Bdersch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i had a very similiar issue as you guys described where at low RPM especially slowing down it would rattle/ vibrate and then give it gas and it stopped. I took it in and they said it was nothing exhaust/ engine related and it finally ended up getting narrowed down to a broken piece in my overhead console that was rattling arond. they replaced the part and the rattle stopped. I thought it was for sure engine or exhaust ratttle too.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i had a very similiar issue as you guys described where at low RPM especially slowing down it would rattle/ vibrate and then give it gas and it stopped. I took it in and they said it was nothing exhaust/ engine related and it finally ended up getting narrowed down to a broken piece in my overhead console that was rattling arond. they replaced the part and the rattle stopped. I thought it was for sure engine or exhaust ratttle too.

Mine is for sure coming from under the truck somewhere. I only hear it when the windows are down and I don't have an overhead...I got the poor mans model hahaha

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How important is the exhaust heat shield over the muffler

So, through a 3 hour road trip today, i have figured out that my heat shield over the exhaust rattles like crazy when coasting, with MDS engaged, at 1500 RPM. I was driving in the hills, so there was a lot of coasting down hills and it drove me crazy. I was able to replicate the sound and get it to continue if i lightly applied gas to hold the RPMs in the "Rattle Zone"

Is there anything that can be done about this. I've checked it before and all seems to be tight. How important is it to keep that thing on? Will i melt something if i take it off and go on a multi-hour road trip?

(Running a Carven Progressive. I have a Diablo tuner so i'll be turning of the MDS, but it will still make the rattle/buzz sounds at times when in Tow/Haul, so that isn't the complete fix)

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Take a high temp rubber hose cut off what u need to make a washer...should work. Had to do this on my last truck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I second​ the above approach. It may or may not be doing anything, but given that Auto manufacturers look for areas to skimp to keep production costs down, I'd imagine it's there for a good reason.

Tomslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On a Toyota it would mean little but on a Dodge it means that you will melt nearby wires, hoses or components. Just look close to the shield for areas of concern and then cover or shield those parts with something else.

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would try to find the area that's hitting and bend it a little bit.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a Toyota it would mean little but on a Dodge it means that you will melt nearby wires, hoses or components. Just look close to the shield for areas of concern and then cover or shield those parts with something else.

Also a viable suggestion. You could get some 3M heat tape off amazon and tape over the wires. I used it for the bottom of my carbon fiber legmaker intake tube on my 300C when the joker's at jiffy lube jostled it loose, which caused it to fall off during WOT on the way home and the belt/pulley dug a hole through it. The tape held strong for the next 3 years. I'd test it out though by taping something heat sensitive to the heat shield and seeing how it holds up

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Turned off the MDS with the Diablo Sport i2 i just got and the rattle/buzz is gone! So much nicer driving around now without it.

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
wanted to update this thread in case you didn't see the one in the engine and performance section.
I turned off the MDS with my Diablo i2 and the rattle is gone. it was definitely the heat shield at low RPMs (right at 1500) with the MDS active. Usually while coasting, not under active throttle.
If it started buzzing/rattling, i could apply light throttle to hold that RPM and it would prolong the sound.
So happy there was an easy fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye