Rear Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jljbtm

Reaction score
To those of you who have replaced your own shocks "how did you get the upper bolts out?"
I just bought the Billsteins thought I'd start with the rears (easiest) but I can't get the upper bolts out. Especially the driver side.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you need a crows foot wrench. you should also remove the wheel well liners if you havent already.

chris52010trx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
if u can find a 6'' adjustable wrench thats worked great past 2 trucks ive done them on holds against the bed well and doesnt move

Slapaho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read countless articles and watched a few videos and was expecting a nightmare. I actually tried unsuccessfully to do the job without removing the wheel wells which was a waste of time, don't bother.

After deciding to remove the tire and WW's I just replaced mine in about 30 minutes per side. A 21mm crows foot or chopped wrench would work but I was able to finagle a socket onto the nut just enough to remove and replace that bolt on both shocks in minutes. The socket wont fit on the nut completely due to the frame or bracket being in the way (not sure which as you never actually see it) but it's doable for sure. Use a cordless drill with a 1/4 socket adapter on those ww screws and work the ww out of the opening. Be careful not to over tighten the screws with the drill when you put it back together.

Do not cut a hole in your wheel well as I've seen recommended. It takes all of 5 minutes to remove and reinstall them which is probably the same time it wold take to butcher them with a sawsall.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Crows foot, pb blaster and some quick heat will do the trick.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
if u can find a 6'' adjustable wrench thats worked great past 2 trucks ive done them on holds against the bed well and doesnt move

Sounds like a big pain in the **** to change

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)