rear steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

30below

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did search this but cant seem to find anything.Thinking of getting a rear step to make getting in the box for these old legs.Something like the Amp step.Any feedback on these?

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend has exactly that ^ on his and he loves it. His problem is 61 year old legs and short stature on a 2500 4X4 with helpers. His ladder is getting loose and wobbly but that's probably because he uses it regularly. I've never seen it new.

I'll give GM kudos in their built in step in the bumper of the new trucks. Still need to reach, but at least it's only part of the way. And another friend with a 2010 Ford has a built in ladder in his tailgate that pulls out, but if you have a trailer hooked up it will interfere.

I used to be able to get into my Dakota without a problem, but the RAM is a tad higher! I still refuse to give in tho~~~ I'm "only" 68 :baby:

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have the Amp step, and the weathertech that goes in the hitch, in case I don't want to open tailgate. Also acts as a damper when I back into stuff :sleepy10:

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have to say, the tailgate step is something I wish ram would copy from Ford.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have to say, the tailgate step is something I wish ram would copy from Ford.

agreed, used mine all the time with my F150 and F250. Took off the stripper pole though. Like how they do the pole now with it coming out of tailgate next to step...

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Haven't got it yet, but it is on my shopping list. Heininger HitchMate TruckStep XL

LINK

Reddeluxe71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
any pictures of the amp step installed?

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I have the Trek Step which is similar to the Amp Step. It works great for me. It looks like the Amp Step closes up closer to the bumper which I would have preferred. It detracts from the looks a little, but I've gotten use to it, and absolutely love having it. I'm also one of those vertically challenged old guys with bad knees.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the bestop step, cheaper than the amp step and works great. Closes up nice and tight to the bumper, I really want to pickup a second one for the passenger side, makes getting in and out (tailgate up or down) a lot easier.

drooler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the Bestop model also and love it. Was cheaper than the Amp model. Being short it comes in handy.

Wayne007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo Diesel
Ok so I just installed the Bestop {TrekStep} rear step and it was a piece of cake. Hardest part was removing the chincy bumper support. It works great with almost no flex and I'm currently 280 lbs. Actually I don't think the flex was from the step but the truck suspension. I wasn't going for the show truck look but for functionality and it fits the bill. Got it on Amazon for $163 shipped and taxed. CIMG1270.JPG CIMG1271.JPG CIMG1272.JPG