Rear tire wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdelello

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have a 2009 Ram Mega cab with 6.7
Love the truck but I have always had a problem with the rear tires wearing down very fast. and yes I do rotate my tires but they only last 12 to 18 months.
According to owners manual my rear tires should be at 45 psi on light load and 70psi on heavy load
What does dodge consider a heavy and light load.
Normally I have no weight in the truck except on weekends when I could be towing including trailer any where between 2000 lbs to 6000 lbs
Just wondering if anyon else is having the same problem
I am running 275/65R20 load E BFGoodrich all terrain T/A KO2

Thanks

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bad pressure in tires will only show uneven wear, not complete wear. Low pressure the outer edges of the tread will wear before the inside. High pressure the middle of the tread will wear before the outside edges. If it is evenly wearing all the way across the tread, you have the correct pressure.

If you have the correct pressure and you feel the tires are wearing too quickly, you either have a heavy foot (burnouts), or you have too soft of a compound tire for your driving habits. Be careful though, the harder the compound the less traction you will have (but better life).

Hope this helps.

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) If the wear is even and the rear wear faster than the front--

Besides JPT's data--your rear axle MAY be off frame alignment--

Have the (all 4 wheels) alignment checked --

Good luck

:crazy: JIMBO

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I have a 2009 Ram Mega cab with 6.7
Love the truck but I have always had a problem with the rear tires wearing down very fast. and yes I do rotate my tires but they only last 12 to 18 months.
According to owners manual my rear tires should be at 45 psi on light load and 70psi on heavy load
What does dodge consider a heavy and light load.
Normally I have no weight in the truck except on weekends when I could be towing including trailer any where between 2000 lbs to 6000 lbs
Just wondering if anyon else is having the same problem
I am running 275/65R20 load E BFGoodrich all terrain T/A KO2

Thanks
I had a set of 35" KO2s on my '16 crew for about 10k miles. They wore very quickly... about 1/2 tread in 10k miles. I sold them before they were too worn and went with a set of 35×12.5×20 Falken AT3Ws. 22k so far and barely worn. Great tire all around.
It's odd that your truck has such low pressure specs... mine are 60frt/80rear. I run them around 50 empty and pump the back up to their max of 65 when towing. No issues thus far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk