Recon day time running lights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up some LED running lights. Going to mount them in the plastic lower grill of my sport. I know how I'm going to mount them but wondering where under the hood I can wire them so that they come on when truck is on. I don't want them on a switch. Any ideas?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
had a customer of mine that hooked up his halos as DRLs, ran a wire to the fuse box.

Here's where he did the tap

17-%20CFL%20connected%20at%20POWER%20ACC%20-%20notch%20edge!.JPG

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
had a customer of mine that hooked up his halos as DRLs, ran a wire to the fuse box.

Here's where he did the tap

Doing it like this would the halos stay on with the parking lamps and fog lights?

OP
OP
K

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They would come on when the truck is turned on. Fogs are on the headlight switch and so are parking lamps. Wiring like this would keep DRLs or Halos on even with fogs and parking lamps off. I have not looked in the fuses box to see exactly what position that is in the box but based on my original question I think JJ knew what I was talking about so I can only assume the spot in the fuse box is switched to the ignition. Meaning only power goes to it when key is turned on. Anyone please correct me if I am off on this.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They would come on when the truck is turned on. Fogs are on the headlight switch and so are parking lamps. Wiring like this would keep DRLs or Halos on even with fogs and parking lamps off. I have not looked in the fuses box to see exactly what position that is in the box but based on my original question I think JJ knew what I was talking about so I can only assume the spot in the fuse box is switched to the ignition. Meaning only power goes to it when key is turned on. Anyone please correct me if I am off on this.

Correct, sir. On every time the truck is on without touching a switch, and no fear of leaving them on because they'll also shut off with the truck w/o a switch.

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice. That's what I would want...for them to be on all the time.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
yeah, that spot was on when the truck is running.

OP
OP
K

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my fuse box that position has a fuse in it. What's strange is that in JJs pic there is the wire for the halos, then a yellow fuse to its right and then another yellow fuse to the right of that one. The halo wire is pushed into a single terminal (a fuse is pushed into two terminals). My fuses go, yellow fuse, single terminal open then another yellow fuse. My open position is in between the two fuses not to the left of the fuses. Hope that makes sense. Not sure if that guy moved the fuse over one for better fitment of the wire or if that's how his box is set up.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be optioned differently, could be a mid-year change, could be Canadian/US- who knows. Any voltage tester will allow you to find an unused, switched fuse blade.
If you're adding a circuit like this with an in-line fuse you need only the side with switched power. The second side which would grasp the fuse would send power TO the accessory after the fuse and is not needed for this application.

websterc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good idea! I am going to have to rewire my halos like that