Relay issues on dogs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I have HID fog lights and the relay in them has been clicking constantly... like a buzzing. I've tried to swap relays and play with the wires behind the harness connector but nothing. Does this mean there is a loose connection somewhere? A short in one of the ballasts powering the fogs? Something else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
could be a bad relay, loose connection or wired wrong.

This. It's probably not downstream of the relay. First make sure the relay is grounded well. Next step would be to bypass your switch with a jumper to eliminate the switch. Next step would be to replace the relay.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
This. It's probably not downstream of the relay. First make sure the relay is grounded well. Next step would be to bypass your switch with a jumper to eliminate the switch. Next step would be to replace the relay.
I've replaced the relay and same issue. I'm wondering if the plug is backwards and polarity is reversed.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
easy enough to try. what is the HID acting like?
On for the most part, an occasional flicker but seldom.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I suppose it would be possible, but I'm not really feeling it. Lol. I'm thinking of it we're downstream of the relay, it would manifest itself in the HID rather than the relay, unless maybe it was trying to overdrive the relay by pulling too much power somehow. I can't see an operable HID or ballast doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long have they been installed? Reason I'm asking is overtime especially for fogs connection points can develop light surface corrosion. Very easy to clean with some spray electric cleaner and then apply dielectric grease to your connections. Sounds like it's pretty intermittent which would indicate a loose connection or loss of connection momentarily due to a poor or loose ground, the mentioned corrosion, or a pin possible not all the way seated on your connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alarmin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Not enough voltage to the relay....