Replacement bulp upgrade...expalin it like I'm 5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I would love to get an entire new headlight setup but that is certainly not in the budget right now due to getting the lift, tires, tonneau cover, etc. done recently. I have been reading other light threads on here and sometimes come away scratching my head since I'm not as mechanical or well versed in how to make mods or what the tech terms are. I was thinking for now I'd like to just upgrade my halogen bulbs. I am looking at Recon and Putco right now. I also have seen a few people say they like Sylvania Silverstar. What I'd like is a brighter white with more output. I won't say the factory bulbs totally suck, but they aren't great. I'm only trying to swap out my fogs and running lights/low beams, since I never am in areas where my brights are used anyways.

I also have noticed that every thread I've read makes it sound like taking the headlights out to replace the bulbs is a total PITA. However I'm not sure if that is because the other people were doing more than just swapping out bulbs.

If anyone could give me advice on replacement bulbs that will be brighter and a nicer white, I'd appreciate it. Again...I'm new to this stuff so explain it to me like I'm 5 please haha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
www.youtube.com

Helpful lol. Was hoping for people on here to tell me what to avoid and what works best. If I wanted to sort through 1,898,467 lightbulb videos I wouldn't have posted. Uhhh...thanks though? Haha I know it's a question frequently asked on here and I have read tons of threads but need 5 year old language and less "just swap to HID" responses than those get. Unfortunately lights, lifts, and tire threads are annoying and repetitive, I know, but if you don't understand them ya just gotta ask.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Here's is what I recommend:

2013-14 Dodge Ram HIDs

You'll want the 6000K kit for Quad headlamp. You'll also want the 9005 one for your high beam.

Canbus adaptor is a must (already selected on there). It literally makes install a plus and play.

With a canbus adaptor you only need to do this: HID bulb -->Ballast Ballast -->Canbus Adaptor Canbus Adaptor --> OEM truck plug. Simple right?

Taking the lights out is easy. Just take the 4 screws off the top of the grille, remove it. Take the 2 screws off the headlamp. (10mm socket) There's a flap inside the wheel well. Open it and look up. There will be a tab that you push up, push it up. That unlocks the headlamp. Then the headlamp with pull right out. I'm not sure if you have a screwed in back panel on the quad headlamps, if so you'll need to unscrew those (8mm socket) and then you have access to the light bulbs.

I recommend HID because they really do make a HUGE difference. The OEM lights just plain suck..If you don't think they're bad, just wait until you put HID's in. It's like turning night into day...seriously.

Don't just replace the stocks with Halogen bulbs, it isn't much more expensive to go with HID. LED's are good, but they aren't quite as bright as HID yet, also if you live where it's cold the LED doen't get hot enough to melt ice off the headlamp quickly.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2013-14 Dodge Ram HIDs

You'll want the 6000K kit for Quad headlamp. You'll also want the 9005 one for your high beam.

Canbus adaptor is a must (already selected on there). It literally makes install a plus and play.

With a canbus adaptor you only need to do this: HID bulb -->Ballast Ballast -->Canbus Adaptor Canbus Adaptor --> OEM truck plug. Simple right?

Taking the lights out is easy. Just take the 4 screws off the top of the grille, remove it. Take the 2 screws off the headlamp. (10mm socket) There's a flap inside the wheel well. Open it and look up. There will be a tab that you push up, push it up. That unlocks the headlamp. Then the headlamp with pull right out. I'm not sure if you have a screwed in back panel on the quad headlamps, if so you'll need to unscrew those (8mm socket) and then you have access to the light bulbs.

I recommend HID because they really do make a HUGE difference. The OEM lights just plain suck..If you don't think they're bad, just wait until you put HID's in. It's like turning night into day...seriously.

Don't just replace the stocks with Halogen bulbs, it isn't much more expensive to go with HID. LED's are good, but they aren't quite as bright as HID yet, also if you live where it's cold the LED doen't get hot enough to melt ice off the headlamp quickly.

So $300 to do low beam and fogs basically. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. For some reason I kept thinking this was impossible for Quads.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
So $300 to do low beam and fogs basically. I guess it's not as bad as I thought. For some reason I kept thinking this was impossible for Quads.
Yep it's pretty simple now! Back in the harness days it sucked! Canbus adaptors have made it way easier!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep it's pretty simple now! Back in the harness days it sucked! Canbus adaptors have made it way easier!

Harnesses are exactly why I wanted 5th grade language haha. I avoid electrical stuff like it's the plague since it terrifies me. With stuff being plug and play....makes me a lot more comfortable trying this myself. I wanted to do some other lighting stuff but just don't want to mess with tying stuff into other lines or routing stuff.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure I'm going the HID route since my Dad has LED's and I'm not the biggest fan of them. I get the appeal of LED, and have no problem with them, just truly personal preference.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2013-14 Dodge Ram HIDs

I just saw the picture of the wiring on the site. Do I have to mount the ballast and everything else somewhere? The ballast looks like it has 4 holes for screws to mount it behind the light somewhere.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
It is recommended to, I think a lot of people don't mount them though

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
You can zip tie it to a hole. Hid will be brighter but putting them in reflector dishes like non projectors will cause a lot of scatter. Oncoming traffic will hate you. Law enforcement might not like it either. I would spend a bit more and find some oem or tyc projectors on eBay first.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can zip tie it to a hole. Hid will be brighter but putting them in reflector dishes like non projectors will cause a lot of scatter. Oncoming traffic will hate you. Law enforcement might not like it either. I would spend a bit more and find some oem or tyc projectors on eBay first.

Ugh, this is why my original post just talked about switching bulbs that aren't LED or HID lol. It went from $300 for just low beam and fog HID to whatever the heck it's going to cost for OEM or TYC projectors. So far what I've seen on ebay is $400-800...so that makes me think I'd rather **** people off than spend $700-$1100 on properly making my lights brighter.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I put HIDs in reflectors on my last truck. I have more people flash this truck with projectors than my last one. It's lifted but I also have adjusted the lights.

When I pass projector vs reflector lights I honestly don't see a huge difference in how blinding it is. I'd go for it in the reflectors man.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put HIDs in reflectors on my last truck. I have more people flash this truck with projectors than my last one. It's lifted but I also have adjusted the lights.

When I pass projector vs reflector lights I honestly don't see a huge difference in how blinding it is. I'd go for it in the reflectors man.

I'd definitely be careful about aiming them, luckily when the shop put the lift on they re-aimed the factory lights. I have yet to see people pissed off at the drive-thru when I'm behind them. I think I'll just go for it and see what happens...worst comes to worst, I've got the bulbs and can hold out on ordering new housings.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ugh, this is why my original post just talked about switching bulbs that aren't LED or HID lol. It went from $300 for just low beam and fog HID to whatever the heck it's going to cost for OEM or TYC projectors. So far what I've seen on ebay is $400-800...so that makes me think I'd rather **** people off than spend $700-$1100 on properly making my lights brighter.
This is why OPT7 LEDs are a popular choice for quad housings. Not as bright as HIDs but 3x brighter than stock halogens easily.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk