Replacement Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banjoman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I damaged my tailgate on my 2012 ram and saw some aftermarket replacements for just over $300 and wondered if anyone has any experience with these are they as good as the original or are they junk?

Banjoman

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
do they come with all the hardware? if so,how can you go wrong,you'll have plenty of spare parts.my aftermarket replacement cap/spoiler as they call it was $75 bucks,plus shipping.try finding one of those oem's on c/l. never happen.

Last edited:

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LMC Truck sells great aftermarket parts. I got a new front bumper from them, and it's perfect.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
generally speaking aftermarket body parts are not of the same quality as OEM. some better then others. if you have the choice of spending $300 on a new aftermarket tail gate or a used OEM, i would take the used one.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
take a look at the next few trucks you see and see how many have at least one dent in the tailgate.that should answer any questions.it's inevitable ,as you have found out already.it's a no brainer.i know for a fact it'll happen to mine,it's just a matter of time.8 trucks so far and it's happened to every single one.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I screwed up the top of my tailgate too. Friend told me I just made my truck a more useful tool. Think about it lol. It's true.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
generally speaking aftermarket body parts are not of the same quality as OEM. some better then others. if you have the choice of spending $300 on a new aftermarket tail gate or a used OEM, i would take the used one.

This ^^^^

Check the junk yards.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure how bad your damage is but I dropped my tailgate on my trailer crank. I went to Maaco ...did a nice job for $300. Dealer quoted $800. If the dealer fixes it gets reported via Carfax. Which is not good when you go to sell it.

I will tell & show the new owner the repair but Carfax will chase them away before I can show them the truck is pristine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I bought my truck used. It had a poorly repaired dent by the tailgate handle. Then last fall on a camping trip, someone backed into my truck and damaged the top lip of the tailgate and left without leaving a note (thanks a-hole...). I was annoyed, but figured it was a truck... whatever.

Well, now the new dent has started to rust. I have been scouring Craigslist to find a tailgate to replace mine. Seems to me that they would be easier to find. the 1500, 2500 and 3500 all use the same tailgate. I know lots of people put utility shells on their 2500 and 3500 trucks. You would think, therefore, that there would be a similar amount of used tailgates sitting around somewhere. I've found a couple, but haven't bought one yet. Still looking.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
it wouldn't hurt to look for used ones on craigslist.