Report on Michelin-Defender LTX M/S 20" on RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About a month ago I saw the Michelin-Defender LTX M/S on sale at Costco. I had been looking for 275-60/R20 tires to replace the OEM SRA tires that were about bald after 37K miles on my 2014 1500 CC 4x4. I had shopped my local Goodyear dealer for alternatives before going to Costco. Many of their tire lines did not have a direct size of this 20" tire.

I was out the door at about $905 with the Costco install package that included roadside hazard. Within a week I then traveled about 2200 miles in two weeks doing a round trip to FL. The first think I noticed was the cornering grip. The second thing I noticed was how quiet they were.

The cab on my 2014 CC SLT is very quiet to begin with. The road noise produced by these tires at all speeds was non-existant. I did a couple of panic stops on concrete and braking performance was top notch. I have yet to drive in the driving rain, so I can't comment on wet braking performance or snow.

I have to say these tires so far give me extreme confidence while driving. I have always thought that tires were one thing I never want to skimp on, and I think these are going to give me that good feeling for miles to come with the 70K tread ware warrenty. Hope this helps someone make a tire decision.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
About a month ago I saw the Michelin-Defender LTX M/S on sale at Costco. I had been looking for 275-60/R20 tires to replace the OEM SRA tires that were about bald after 37K miles on my 2014 1500 CC 4x4. I had shopped my local Goodyear dealer for alternatives before going to Costco. Many of their tire lines did not have a direct size of this 20" tire.

I was out the door at about $905 with the Costco install package that included roadside hazard. Within a week I then traveled about 2200 miles in two weeks doing a round trip to FL. The first think I noticed was the cornering grip. The second thing I noticed was how quiet they were.

The cab on my 2014 CC SLT is very quiet to begin with. The road noise produced by these tires at all speeds was non-existant. I did a couple of panic stops on concrete and braking performance was top notch. I have yet to drive in the driving rain, so I can't comment on wet braking performance or snow.

I have to say these tires so far give me extreme confidence while driving. I have always thought that tires were one thing I never want to skimp on, and I think these are going to give me that good feeling for miles to come with the 70K tread ware warrenty. Hope this helps someone make a tire decision.

Mine will be installed tomorrow. 18" on my 2014. Hope they are as good as they claim.

anthony2558

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had them installed on my wife's explorer sport. I was tired of her not being able to pull up the driveway in an inch of snow. Swapped the tires out and couldn't be happier. They are great tires. No more sliding off into the lawn.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Report on Michelin-Defender LTX M/S 20" on RAM 1500

Finally having Michelin LTX M/S installed after 2 sets and multiple balancing attempts on the Goodyear SRAs.

Ugh, can't wait to get some new shoes.
I've always ran Michelin or Continental tires and never have been disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone 7+

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
U guys know that tires have a shelf life from the day they are produced. Unless you plan on driving 70,000 miles in 5 years don't waste your money on high mileage tires. Technically a typica tire has a shelf life of about 5 years before they become dry rotted and start to crack. Higher mileage also means a harder compound which usually isn't a good thing esp when u want grip. But if you guys are happy then I'd say it's money well spent!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP-Was there any change in your fuel mileage?
Jay

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
U guys know that tires have a shelf life from the day they are produced. Unless you plan on driving 70,000 miles in 5 years don't waste your money on high mileage tires. Technically a typica tire has a shelf life of about 5 years before they become dry rotted and start to crack. Higher mileage also means a harder compound which usually isn't a good thing esp when u want grip. But if you guys are happy then I'd say it's money well spent!

These tires represent more than just hard rubber to get higher mileage. Take a few minute and read the Mischelin writeup and the ratings of these tires against other top name tires.

That's what I did and bought them. They are excellent in Michigan winters and are as good as the OP described. I agree with his assessment.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The only safety feature on the road that is actually touching the road. Used to be an ad and you know when you think about it why would you even want the cheap brands. It is very important and makes a big difference on ride and performance. I say money well spent. Tires that are quality are worth every penny.

Last edited:

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also replaced my stock SR-A with these at 37K miles. Much more confident in the rain and better grip. Hopefully will last longer too.

Got mine for $740 out the door installed thanks to a $160 local promotion, $70 discount tire rebate, and $70 michelin rebate.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i am a gas mileage freak like im sure osme of us ram guys are, because we know that thirsty hemi can also be the most fuel efficient out of all the motors when driven right. i averaged 19.2 on the first 10k miles of my truck. i reset and then put the toyo 35's on and have averaged 16.3 the last 28k miles. ive had defenders on for one tank of gas same driving as always, (124 miles day) yikes, and this tank was 19.9 mpg. im a beliver. and the ride is kush as a goose feather pillow

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd be interested to know how they do on wet pavement. I have the AT2's and they stick like glue. I did however lose about 1-1 1/2 mpg after I installed them. Might look at the Defender this time if the performance on wet pavement is good.
Jay

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have 62,000 miles on 3 of my 2016 Ram Michelin Tires

They were best Michelin Tires that could be bought in 2016
I had an object strike the inside of my right front tire & it caused a large bubble,

Right about that same time, Michelin was in the process of a tire redesign, so my 4th tire is one of the Michelin Defender LTX MS

I have done very little driving in the last 2 years, or else the 3 older tires would have been replaced

My 2009 Ram had Michelins on it too
in 7 years i had put 144,000 miles on it

This current Ram should have had about 100,000 miles on it, but illness stopped that from happening

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be interested to know how they do on wet pavement. I have the AT2's and they stick like glue. I did however lose about 1-1 1/2 mpg after I installed them. Might look at the Defender this time if the performance on wet pavement is good.
Jay
They won't compare to an AT tire, but for what they are, they do decent in most conditions.
I had the 285/70/17 E-load defenders - no mpg hit with those, quiet, and they actually rode very well. I don't remember having any complaints in any weather conditions - though I didn't drive them in deep snow. Wear is incredible - incredibly negligent :)

SWtransportdesign

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Crew Cab 4WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
I had Michelin Defender LTX tires installed on my 19 1500 Classic at 39,000 miles in August after one of my original tires was damaged beyond repair. The truck is noticeably quieter, the tires seem to balance better than the factory Wranglers, and the one time I've used them in rain they had good traction and dispersed water in shallow puddles very well. I was driving in the rain in 4WD auto, and this truck performs comparably to my 2008 Subaru STI in the rain except the truck has a lot more torque.

I do not go off-road, and low noise, efficiency, durability, and ride comfort were my priorities. For my needs, these are amazing tires.

Although this thread was started five years ago, the OP's accolades for these tires are still applicable, the only difference being I paid $1200 OTD @ Discount Tire.

20220827_150409.jpg20220827_150419.jpg20220811_082926.jpg

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For a road tire I honestly believe they are the best street tire you can buy. I had them on my 2500 for a while and still have them but wanted a more aggressive all terrain tire.

UnleashedBeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every daily driver vehicle I own gets a set of Michelin Defenders, period, without question soon as the OEM tires are worn. The factory Wranglers are crap in comparison, especially for wet traction. I'm replacing the Wranglers on my 2019 Bighorn @ 20K miles to quiet the ride and improve traction.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a set of Defender 20" tires on my truck. They replaced a set of Firestone tires that had plenty of tread that were on the truck when I bought it, but the Firestones wouldn't balance.

I hadn't driver 1/4 mile before I noticed. The first curve, the truck felt like it was on a magnetic rail. The delayed turn and body roll was gone.

On road, they are extremely quiet, quieter than the Firestones, which were very quiet also. The ride has improved. Seams and bumps in the road are barely felt or heard.

I can't say enough good about these tires. They are the best I have ever owned.

LowboyKW

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT Quad Cab
Engine
3.6 24VVT
Superb tires, quiet, stick to the road, shop around .